Wiper Blades

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Re: Wiper Blades

Post by roywolfey »

Like many I’m experiencing wiper judder, so I decided to purchase the A864s from Amazon with a view to rectifying this issue.

When it came to fitting I found that the Factory fitted wipers on my car were Bosch and all but identical other than the retail wipers having a visible white Bosch logo on the plastic on the end of the wipers. Same size, Bosch logo stamped on to the bit where it connects to the wiper arms, “Made in Belgium” stamped on them.

There hasn’t been any rain since but I can confirm they didn’t judder on the windscreen wash cycle..

Given that in my case the aftermarket wipers were all but identical to the OEM wipers, it leads me to think that there are other factors causing wipers to judder, perhaps something to do with the time and environmental conditions between vehicle manufacture and delivery?
Last edited by roywolfey on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Bosch wipers from factory, that is good, used to be FM, I think, the only thing that I would say is, maybe Bosch, but made in which country, I'd doubt if it would be in old style Europe, probably quite a long way ago from Europe.

Now, in this fully developed industrial world, when one company designs and proves a product, it can be manufactured anywhere in the world and be exactly of the same quality as the original home based manufactured versions. Well that is the theory, maybe you have never heard about the huge issues that VW Group and probably others had when the Beru and others moved their coil manufacture to "other" countries - that almost, or did stop car production and left VW Group with many unhappy customers with cars VOR until things got sorted out.

Okay wiper blade design is less demanding maybe, buy if processes and materials are not as they should be, someone is going to end up getting annoyed, and in this case that someone is Polo owners.

Some of us might be too long in the tooth, but with that comes the experience of choosing to buy product A because it was well made and did its job, as the years have passed too often some dumb accountant has had brilliant ideas about increasing profit, product price to customer remaining the same, so moving manufacturing "overseas" - too many times that means reduced quality - and it does not need to be like that, if original designs, materials and processes were used and then original quality standards applied then overseas manufacture could work, we are not there yet.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am Bosch wipers from factory, that is good, used to be FM, I think, the only thing that I would say is, maybe Bosch, but made in which country, I'd doubt if it would be in old style Europe, probably quite a long way ago from Europe.
On my car, both the OEM factory Bosch wipers and the Amazon A864s set had ”Made in Belgium” stamped on them..
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

Just visited my dealer and they say there is nothing they can do. They have had several customers back who have had blades replaced under warranty and the entire arms replaced but neither have made any difference.

This has been fed back to VW HQ who may issue a recall in respect of the wipers. In the meantime, I shall contemplate the Bosch wipers for front and back.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Can anyone also advise on the correct model number for a Bosch rear wiper blade. The rear blade on my car judders even worse than the front.

**Edit - Amazon reveals the A282H to be the correct model for the rear
Last edited by david.stark on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

I've taken the time to make this video of the wipers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MFTkMD ... e=youtu.be
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Mine are exactly the same work ok on dry window ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

roywolfey wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am On my car, both the OEM factory Bosch wipers and the Amazon A864s set had ”Made in Belgium” stamped on them..
Oh, that sounds like someone has been replacing them as soon as they landed in Europe, probably your supplying dealer?

I can't see anyone wanting/needing to ship EU manufactured wiper blades to South Africa when there must be a cheaper source nearer to them.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Good people! A new video for your consideration and a Stark contrast to my first video :wink: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcxOLI5 ... e=youtu.be
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Thanks for your video David, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" :D . It's Bosch for me :lol:

What a pudding has to do with wipers beats me :oops: :D
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Just to drive the point home, I’ve tested them at speed in moderate and light rain and no issues at all.

Emailing the dealer now...
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

I’ve just been to the DIY jet wash. On the way back the rear wiper began juddering but the front ones were fine.

Any thoughts as to why? Just the wax finish from the jet wash perhaps?

I’ve now cleaned the back window and the blade with Autoglym fast glass. I’ll leave it alone for now and hopefully it’ll be fine.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Well I definitely spoke too soon. Even the brand new Bosch Aerotwin front wipers are juddering now :oops: :cry:

It’s strange how this has only happened after I’ve been to the jet wash though, where I used their wax finish. I’m going to clean the windows with white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. It is recommended for removing wax or other products such as Rain X from the glass. Rain X for example has an awful reputation for causing wiper judder.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I find "Rain X very good as long as you apply it right and keep above 50 MPH when it raining, the water just flies off.
The one thing I don't like is the hazy effect you get for a fraction of a second after the blade has passed?

Do you think the wiper arms are forcing down too hard, VW have put too higher pressure springs in? Because there seems to be a common denominator with this problem? There must be a fixed spring pressure for wiper blades to work correctly?

It might be a good idea to get a spring balance and find out how much force the arms are giving against another cars wiper arm?
Sorry if there's so many question marks in this post.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

I’ll have to wait and see what happens after I’ve cleaned the screen and blades. If they still judder, even a bit, I won’t pursue my dealer for reimbursement as that would not be fair. If they are fine, then I’ll pursue it.

Surely VW UK need to be doing something about this sooner rather than later.