Wiper Blades

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Re: Wiper Blades

Post by MilgeS »

Just been to Halfords and the A556S were too short in size/length, kind gent found the correct length ones for me but the fitting bits didn't fit. Looks like I will be buying from my local dealer then :-(
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

MilgeS wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 pm Just been to Halfords and the A556S were too short in size/length, kind gent found the correct length ones for me but the fitting bits didn't fit. Looks like I will be buying from my local dealer then :-(
They are slightly shorter but mine seem to have zero impact on visibility out of the windscreen, the drivers wiper clears the screen up to the top where the black banding is around the screen. Not sure if bosh do the correct size with the necessary attachment although they claim to do a Aerotwin adapter system that works for 90+ cars but I can’t find it on the internet, it looks like it has four different attachments in the pack.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I always try to get the exact "car specific" wiper packs, which is what Bosch's "S" packs are, have you checked on the Bosch website to see if they cover this application yet, probably too early for that I'd guess.

I've found Valeo wipers to be good as long as that was what was used at the factory, mainly nowadays it seems like Bosch is what was used until G-M started provide probably extremely cheap Asian made wiper blades - a bargain for VW Group, a problem for buyers!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Is there an official 2018 Polo solution forBosch Aerotwin yet? It was about 9 months after the release of the MK7 Golf that the set for them (A864s) came out.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 am Is there an official 2018 Polo solution forBosch Aerotwin yet? It was about 9 months after the release of the MK7 Golf that the set for them (A864s) came out.
I can’t find one and the wipers are the same as the latest Seat Ibiza which has been out over 12 months now, not sure what make is on the wife’s Ibiza and I even contemplated swapping the wipers over but she gave that look when I suggested it.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Cadwest wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 am
MilgeS wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 pm Just been to Halfords and the A556S were too short in size/length, kind gent found the correct length ones for me but the fitting bits didn't fit. Looks like I will be buying from my local dealer then :-(
They are slightly shorter but mine seem to have zero impact on visibility out of the windscreen, the drivers wiper clears the screen up to the top where the black banding is around the screen. Not sure if bosh do the correct size with the necessary attachment although they claim to do a Aerotwin adapter system that works for 90+ cars but I can’t find it on the internet, it looks like it has four different attachments in the pack.
That might explain the difference in length then. I might pop back later and have a look in the box, there were only 3 adapters in the correct length wipers we tried, cheers for the heads up
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Looking through the internet, and on one site there are two new Polo owners complaining about juddery wipers.

Some people say that the wiper arm should lay flat to the screen, if it's been distorted somehow, then this will cause the blades to judder.
From what I can remember, to change your blades, you have to set the arms in a certain position, if members have tried to sort out their wiper problem and forced the arms to try and get the blades off, because they didn't set the arms in the correct position in the first place, this could have distorted the arms :?:

Just a thought, but any idea, might help :?:
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Replacing the wipers without moving them into the service position would probably cause lots of swearing after discovering that the bonnet paintwork was being damaged!
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 pm Replacing the wipers without moving them into the service position would probably cause lots of swearing after discovering that the bonnet paintwork was being damaged!
I think that there is a thread on the Seat Ibiza forum about a number of people suffering damage to the bonnet paintwork after going to £5 hand wash places, the turnip brigade are pulling the wipers up to clean underneath and scratching the edge of the bonnet.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Cadwest wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:17 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 pm Replacing the wipers without moving them into the service position would probably cause lots of swearing after discovering that the bonnet paintwork was being damaged!
I think that there is a thread on the Seat Ibiza forum about a number of people suffering damage to the bonnet paintwork after going to £5 hand wash places, the turnip brigade are pulling the wipers up to clean underneath and scratching the edge of the bonnet.
So, with the £5 hand wash places;
  • using ultra-strong cleaning substances for washing your car that’ll strip off any protective wax or sealant you have on your paintwork
  • inflicting swirls in your paintwork through a poor washing / drying technique
they’ll also throw in a few complimentary paint chips on the edge of your bonnet for good measure when they wrestle with the wiper arms to clean the bottom of the screen.

Another good reason to not use them.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That was one job I did do on my daughter’s late 2009 Ibiza while it was left under my control, ie on a warm summer’s day a few years ago, I cleaned out the large chip at the rear of the bonnet and sealed it up with a cocktail stick and touch up paint!
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

Tried mine again today and they are awful. Will get the dealer to replace them.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:58 pm Looking through the internet, and on one site there are two new Polo owners complaining about juddery wipers.

Some people say that the wiper arm should lay flat to the screen, if it's been distorted somehow, then this will cause the blades to judder.
From what I can remember, to change your blades, you have to set the arms in a certain position, if members have tried to sort out their wiper problem and forced the arms to try and get the blades off, because they didn't set the arms in the correct position in the first place, this could have distorted the arms :?:

Just a thought, but any idea, might help :?:
Mine judder and I have done nothing to them. Going to give the glass a rub clean with a small bit of acid based wheel cleaner (that I would only dare use on painted wheels, not diamond cut). Wipers go up to "service" when you turn ignition off and hold wiper stalk down for a second or so.
kmm249
Getting There!
Drives: 2018

Post by kmm249 »

My problem car went to VW yesterday, one problem was wipers not working correctly. Same issues described in some of posts. They cleaned them saying it was diamondbrite on the screen and the wipers were “black” said funny thing is wipers have only been used a few time because of the weather we had recently. (Found out the wipers didnt work on 70mph dual carriageway in the fast lane).
Other thing never had diamondbrite on the car. Got told to monitor, its back in for other investigations work so having to deal with very noisy, bad wipers until I spend 4 days in a courtesy car... wishing i had the Ibiza or Arona now to replace my old 16plate Ibiza.
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

My wipers are absolutely horrific today! Practically bouncing across the screen. Can’t get to the dealer before Friday now so does anyone think there’s any benefit to
using a silicone spray on them?