18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm
silverhairs wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am 2G2061270WGK VW Polo Luxury carpet set @ £75.00 inc VAT
I got a set for £52.99 including delivery from a dealer on ebay yesterday.
Pleased with that.
Can you please tell the forum the ebay site you got them from, that's a good saving :D
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 pm
silverhairs wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am 2G2061270WGK VW Polo Luxury carpet set @ £75.00 inc VAT
I got a set for £52.99 including delivery from a dealer on ebay yesterday.
Pleased with that.
Nice deal, on that, good saving, do they fit securely? no moving around? I saw on here someone who said their carpets especially on the drivers side actually slip!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

The luxury carpets are nice.
Unfortunately, they don't come with new 'top hats' to fit into the carpet, they just use the ones that are there.
So I'm suffering the same movement as before.
The ebay seller for £52.99 incl delivery was username 'Nottinghamvwsouth' and it was described as a Black Friday deal.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Could be worth asking parts dept at your dealer for the clips they plug in. Or ask them?
Andy Beats wrote:The luxury carpets are nice.
Unfortunately, they don't come with new 'top hats' to fit into the carpet, they just use the ones that are there.
So I'm suffering the same movement as before.
The ebay seller for £52.99 incl delivery was username 'Nottinghamvwsouth' and it was described as a Black Friday deal.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I need to figure out how the 'top hats' work.
Rotating them in the carpet neither tightens nor loosens them, they just 'twirl'.
So do they come in two parts, with the outer 'top hat' designed to just twirl?
If so, do you just pull the top hat off to reveal the bit that actually secures into the carpet?
:?:
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Hmm... Whether it's relevant or not, I'm not sure.. but my old polo which had twisty clips popped off to reveal a screw. You could ask your parts dept for a explanation or diagram. I've always found TPS helpful, but not sure if they'll help without being in the trade.
Andy Beats wrote:I need to figure out how the 'top hats' work.
Rotating them in the carpet neither tightens nor loosens them, they just 'twirl'.
So do they come in two parts, with the outer 'top hat' designed to just twirl?
If so, do you just pull the top hat off to reveal the bit that actually secures into the carpet?
:?:
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Ok ive seen some concerns expressed over MPG.

Here my trip to work yesterday, as a snap shot for winter. Out side it was 7am and 2.5 degrees, frost on car. I started car put on mirror heaters, wind screen demist, rear window heater and my heated seat. I went in got some warm water and poured on the windscreen, rear window, and front side windows to clear the frost. that done I got in car turned off heated mirrors. set to eco mode and switched off auto stop start. set off on my 14 mile commute through the New forest. in the forest the outside temp was 0.5 degrees. windscreen and rear window now completely clear and switched those off, car seat lovely and warm so put that down to level one.

Arrived at work 25-30 mins after leaving home. 46.1 MPG shown on computer. In the summer the same trip I was getting 58MPG. So winter driving is costing me about 12mpg on my 14 mile commute.

Separately, I have never experienced the 115hp 1.0L engine to be underpowered or sluggish pulling away, now that could be because I have a DSG 7 speed gearbox, for the same reason I do not have a problem with high gearing as described by others on here. I just get in and drive, if I need to pull away a bit more promptly I simply knock it back into sport mode, I am not saying it will outrun anything else on the road but its plenty quick enough.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

mike sel wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 am Separately, I have never experienced the 115hp 1.0L engine to be underpowered or sluggish pulling away, now that could be because I have a DSG 7 speed gearbox, for the same reason I do not have a problem with high gearing as described by others on here. I just get in and drive, if I need to pull away a bit more promptly I simply knock it back into sport mode, I am not saying it will outrun anything else on the road but its plenty quick enough.
An extra 20bhp and associated increase in torque will make a world of difference.
And you won't experience the gearing problems when you have a completely different gearbox.
The 7-speed gearbox will clearly allow a better 'spread' of gears than the 5-speed manual, including a lower first gear.
Although I personally wouldn't ever go back to a DSG box again, so not an option I'd explore now or in the future.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

mike sel wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 am Ok ive seen some concerns expressed over MPG.

Here my trip to work yesterday, as a snap shot for winter. Out side it was 7am and 2.5 degrees, frost on car. I started car put on mirror heaters, wind screen demist, rear window heater and my heated seat. I went in got some warm water and poured on the windscreen, rear window, and front side windows to clear the frost. that done I got in car turned off heated mirrors. set to eco mode and switched off auto stop start. set off on my 14 mile commute through the New forest. in the forest the outside temp was 0.5 degrees. windscreen and rear window now completely clear and switched those off, car seat lovely and warm so put that down to level one.

Arrived at work 25-30 mins after leaving home. 46.1 MPG shown on computer. In the summer the same trip I was getting 58MPG. So winter driving is costing me about 12mpg on my 14 mile commute.

Separately, I have never experienced the 115hp 1.0L engine to be underpowered or sluggish pulling away, now that could be because I have a DSG 7 speed gearbox, for the same reason I do not have a problem with high gearing as described by others on here. I just get in and drive, if I need to pull away a bit more promptly I simply knock it back into sport mode, I am not saying it will outrun anything else on the road but its plenty quick enough.

Thanks Mike. I am getting more used to the foibles of the Polo - now just accept the aircon coming on when selecting windscreen direction for air flow, it presumably helps with demisting and forget the negligible fuel consumption penalty (separate thread on demisting has more info). Re the gears, it sounds far easier with your DSG to drive from standstill and in urban environment, I am getting used to when entering a side road from a main route putting it into first rather than hope it pulls back up to speed in second. Only disadvantage it takes more skill to match revs to the sharp take up of first gear to avoid a lurch, compared to slipping it in second.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:32 am
mike sel wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 am Separately, I have never experienced the 115hp 1.0L engine to be underpowered or sluggish pulling away, now that could be because I have a DSG 7 speed gearbox, for the same reason I do not have a problem with high gearing as described by others on here. I just get in and drive, if I need to pull away a bit more promptly I simply knock it back into sport mode, I am not saying it will outrun anything else on the road but its plenty quick enough.
An extra 20bhp and associated increase in torque will make a world of difference.
And you won't experience the gearing problems when you have a completely different gearbox.
The 7-speed gearbox will clearly allow a better 'spread' of gears than the 5-speed manual, including a lower first gear.
Although I personally wouldn't ever go back to a DSG box again, so not an option I'd explore now or in the future.
yea the DSG is not for everyone. what was your bad experience with it?

I have found it interesting to get used to especially with the auto stop start...basically auto stop start is a no no with DSG. VW should not sell these two things together. in fact its effin dangerous in some situations.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

It does seem to be unforgivable for a car manufacturing group to bring in Stop/Start and DSG to their fleet use cars back many years ago when the Passat moved on from being a B5.5 exAudi platform to a modified Golf platform - and still today people are having issues operating safely, way back at the start of Stop/Start in cars that had DSG, I heard many tales from annoyed users finding themselves frequently getting into "tight spots" and these guys complaining were experienced and seasoned drivers of company cars - so, how do other car manufacturers approach these issues and hopefully surmount them to keep drivers and other road users safe?
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Just a reminder all

Keyless entry security. You can disable the keyless entry in the new VW polo very easily when you lock the car up. For example If I visit an area I am unsure of I disable the Keyless when I park the car in say London of Coventry, Nottingham etc. is so simple to do.

I love my keyless cars so for me knowing how to Disable the keyless if I need to is a must. Well done VW for this little nugget.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

mike sel wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 pm yea the DSG is not for everyone. what was your bad experience with it?

I have found it interesting to get used to especially with the auto stop start...basically auto stop start is a no no with DSG. VW should not sell these two things together. in fact its effin dangerous in some situations.
Mine didn't have stop-start, it was a 2005 car and that was before stop-start came on the go, thank goodness.
My bad experiences with DSG are the same as many.
If you google search "DSG DELAY" you will get the most annoying aspect of it, but there were others.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 am
mike sel wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 pm yea the DSG is not for everyone. what was your bad experience with it?

Mine didn't have stop-start, it was a 2005 car and that was before stop-start came on the go, thank goodness.
My bad experiences with DSG are the same as many.
If you google search "DSG DELAY" you will get the most annoying aspect of it, but there were others.
Yea I looked a that thank you, I don't know if they have improved the DSG or im just not slamming the go faster pedal down to the floor quick enough lol but im not getting the reported problems yet. I suppose at 7.5k miles on the clock its early days yet. the only real problem I have is the DSG not working with auto stop start, and I can switch that off when I remember.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Today a 450 mile round trip from Dorset to Nottingham and back. leaving at 7am be there about 10.30 be back around 8pm. loads of time to see how the cars systems work again. I have to say I used to dread this drive in my last car a2015 Nissan note. but this Polo I have is so comfortable me and my partner have no issues sitting I the car for 3 hours. Not done this drive both ways in 1 day since I had my BMW 330d so it will be interesting to see how we get on. up to this point I have driven there one day stayed over and then driven back in this polo and really had no issues with anything. Comfort has not been an issue in this polo so far. I will let you know after 6-7 ours behind the wheel in one day.