18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by SRGTD »

@mike sel; Good to hear that you’re happy with your car and aside from the issues you had with water ingress into the cabin a few months ago (hopefully sorted, and now a distant memory), it’s been trouble free.

Look forward to reading your 12 month ownership review.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Just drove to Nottingham 200 miles. !.0l 115HP DSG. I set the car up in eco mode & aircon off. It was in the day and it was dry and about 15 degrees. Motorway all the way. Set it up at 60MPH with ACC. I got 70MPG ! two of us in the car. on the drive back did 70MPH all settings as above except it was raining most of the way and it did 58MPG so by slowing down 10MPH I can get 12 MPG more
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:58 am Just drove to Nottingham 200 miles. !.0l 115HP DSG. I set the car up in eco mode & aircon off. It was in the day and it was dry and about 15 degrees. Motorway all the way. Set it up at 60MPH with ACC. I got 70MPG ! two of us in the car. on the drive back did 70MPH all settings as above except it was raining most of the way and it did 58MPG so by slowing down 10MPH I can get 12 MPG more
I'd rather get there 35 mins earlier and not have the people behind cursing me! :lol:

At motorway speeds the mpg penalty for aircon is negligible as all that high speed air hitting the front of the car makes heat transfer in the AC unit very efficient (just imagining you and your passenger sweating buckets in your greenhouse-like car to save you 2mpg) :shock:

Just goes to show how little difference there is between the engines at motorway speeds on a long journey.

Trying to compare apples with apples as most don't do your miles, taking confirmed GTI figures noted here on 100 mile motorway runs (mine at 80mph, and someone else's maintaining 70mph), and assuming a 5% improvement to 200 miles from 100 miles vs your figures, as well as assuming same % differences between 60mph and 70mph and 80mph cruising speeds :-

115DSG: 200 miles @ 60mph = 70mpg Actual (120% of 70mph values)
200 miles @ 70mph = 58mpg Actual
200 miles @ 80mph = 49mpg Estimated (85% of 70mph mpg figures, based on the ratio of 70-80mph in the 100 mile actuals below for the GTI).

200DSG: 100 miles @ 60mph = 58mpg Estimated, 200 miles @ 60mph = 66mpg Estimated (120% of 70mph figures, as your engine achieved).
100 miles @ 70mph = 53mpg Actual, 200 miles @ 70mph = 56mpg Estimated
100 miles @80mph = 45mpg Actual, 200 miles @ 80mph = 47mpg Estimated

Side by side comparison for 200 mile journey with stated cruising speed:-

Engine 60mph 70mph 80mph
115DSG 70mpg 58mpg 49mpg
200DSG 66mpg 56mpg 47mpg

Based on solid figures and reasoned extrapolation of the gaps, I think the figures above are as accurate as they can be without actually driving 200 miles in the GTI. That extra torque and the Audi Valve Lift tech on the GTI's inlet seem to pay dividends in keeping the gap between the 2 engines pretty tight.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Ha on a duel carriageway or motorway anyone sitting behind me at 60MPH must be doing so out of choice otherwise they would effect a standard manoeuvre called "overtaking".

I am not 100% sure anyone actually gets the figures you quoted for the GTI, I would like to hear from someone who actually got even close to 60MPG in a GTI on an actual 200mile drive.

All good fun though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:37 pm Ha on a duel carriageway or motorway anyone sitting behind me at 60MPH must be doing so out of choice otherwise they would effect a standard manoeuvre called "overtaking".

I am not 100% sure anyone actually gets the figures you quoted for the GTI, I would like to hear from someone who actually got even close to 60MPG in a GTI on an actual 200mile drive.

All good fun though.
Trouble is, I don't think anyone here with a GTI would want to do 60mph on a free flowing 70mph road for the whole of a 200 mile journey - they'd rather get there quicker and suffer the mpg losses.

If I can do 90-100 miles at a constant 80mph and get 45mpg, I'm sure I could beat that by 33% to achieve 60mpg, doing twice as far at that optimal gearing (at 60mph, GTI will be happy in 6th at 1800rpm), with wind resistance not having too much of an effect on fuel economy at that speed (but increasing steadily thereafter). I've seen the effect that being stuck in a long stretch of 50mph roadworks in the old Audi A1 1.6TDI.

I used to hammer that car and get 60mpg on a 20 mile commute. I once did a 45 mile trip into deepest county Durham where half the trip was stuck at 50mph, the other half doing 80 down the A1(M) and got 76mpg.

I used to challenge myself when I used to do shifts to do my (then) 9 mile commute at the end of night shift without stopping, but I wouldn't last long foinv 60 on a road I could be doing 75-80mph on. I value my time more than the saving at the pumps.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

No one that is in their right mind would admit, in writing on a public forum, to doing more than 70MPH on public roads in the UK. So you being an intelligent guy and not prone to simply making points I assume your reference to 80-90MPH is in Germany on a free autobahn :D.

I found over the past year that putting the DSG car in ACC really helps the MPG. getting 60+ on std trips to work and back.

You point on GTI drivers is noted, I suspect IF one did try it they would get no more then 45MPG tops.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:50 pm No one that is in their right mind would admit, in writing on a public forum, to doing more than 70MPH on public roads in the UK. So you being an intelligent guy and not prone to simply making points I assume your reference to 80-90MPH is in Germany on a free autobahn :D.

I found over the past year that putting the DSG car in ACC really helps the MPG. getting 60+ on std trips to work and back.

You point on GTI drivers is noted, I suspect IF one did try it they would get no more then 45MPG tops.
The Police can't convict based on what I say I did on a forum, they need hard evidence (this isn't a murder confession) - however if I started putting up YouTube vids of me doing ludicrous speeds, that's a different matter.

I doubt there's less than half the drivers on the road that haven't done 80mph on a free flowing, uncontested motorway at some point.

I can already get 45mpg average on a 90 mile trip to York, doing 80 most of the way, and I leave my engine (not my gearbox) in Sport mode. Taking the non-motorway way out of the back of York (about 15 miles of 50mph roads), I have seen my trip mpg get as high as 54mpg until that stage ends and you're on the proper 70mph dual carriageway, seeing that 54mpg get chipped away over the other 75 miles doing 80, all the way back down to 45mpg for the trip.

If I can average 54mpg doing a constant 50mph for 15 miles, I'm sure I could easily crack 60mpg doing a constant 60mph for 200 miles.

The GTI has ideal tall gearing for motorway cruising and plenty of useable torque. It will be working less hard to maintain 60/70/80 on a motorway than a 1.0TSI, especially up hills.

Andy beats has already shown how thirsty the 1.0TSI can be when not driven optimally.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Back to the original point of the post. just over a year on.

How are new owners finding their Polos quality and problem wise? are the 2019 deliveries better screwed together? has the South African assembly lines improved? or were they OK anyway.

Some may remember that I have had only one problem with y car and that was rain water getting in on the near side bottom corner of the wind screen. this seems to have been resolved by VW under warranty. OK that's a deal breaker if you knew before purchasing the car you were going to get water ingress then you probably would not chose to buy that car. but otherwise I have had not one other problem.

So has quality of the end product improved ? what problems have you had? have you had No issues?
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Just picked up mine this past Monday. South Africa built, and to me it seems as well built as my previous 6C BlueGT, no squeaks or cracks to be heard when going down the road.

My soundaktor however seems to be resonating with something loose in the dash or engine compartment. Under moderate acceleration in Sport it sounds like metal clinging/vibrating at certain Rpms.. Its quite loud and annoying.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It may be too early to tell whether the 2019 examples are better built. I wasn't aware of any issues on mine until the car was 7 months old. So far our 2019 GTI+ is fault free, but others here have reported tailgate issues on their brand new 2019 examples that my 2018 one had (needing a bit of a slam to close/general adjustment required).
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I'll owned my 2018 Polo GTI+ a year next week. The only two issues were minor trim issues with a plastic clicky sound coming from the glove box lid, and a buzz from the passenger door at certain frequencies when playing music. Both fixed under Warranty. I'm otherwise super happy with my fault free Polo GTI+ and looking forward to at least another 3 years of ownership. :D
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:02 am It may be too early to tell whether the 2019 examples are better built. I wasn't aware of any issues on mine until the car was 7 months old. So far our 2019 GTI+ is fault free, but others here have reported tailgate issues on their brand new 2019 examples that my 2018 one had (needing a bit of a slam to close/general adjustment required).
O that's something I just took as a live with kind of thing. My rear door needs to be closed firmly or I will get into the cat and the rear of the car will glow red on the dash. I never thought to point that out to anyone. its funny what some feel is acceptable and others not so much.

I wonder what else I am accepting as its only a 20K run a round. its not a Bentley, what seems acceptable to me clearly is not to others.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

roywolfey wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:36 am I'll owned my 2018 Polo GTI+ a year next week. The only two issues were minor trim issues with a plastic clicky sound coming from the glove box lid, and a buzz from the passenger door at certain frequencies when playing music. Both fixed under Warranty. I'm otherwise super happy with my fault free Polo GTI+ and looking forward to at least another 3 years of ownership. :D
That's brilliant, sounds like you got a good one there. how are you finding the rear end stability? did you change the tyres out, I don't know why VW seem to average tyres on the UK modals.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:01 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:02 am It may be too early to tell whether the 2019 examples are better built. I wasn't aware of any issues on mine until the car was 7 months old. So far our 2019 GTI+ is fault free, but others here have reported tailgate issues on their brand new 2019 examples that my 2018 one had (needing a bit of a slam to close/general adjustment required).
O that's something I just took as a live with kind of thing. My rear door needs to be closed firmly or I will get into the cat and the rear of the car will glow red on the dash. I never thought to point that out to anyone. its funny what some accept as acceptable and others now so much.

I wonder what else I am accepting as its only a 20K run a round. its not a Bentley, what seems acceptable to me clearly is not to others.
I accepted it as probably normal for a Polo. When I did notice that it was putting tiny chips on the bottom edge of the tailgate where the tailgate was contacting the rear bumper, I knew something wax amiss. VW absolved itself of warranty obligation by citing a 6 month/6500 mile limit for door adjustment. Absolute toss-pots. I've gotten pretty good at paint chip touch-ups over the years and the strike plate adjustment was relatively easy.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:01 am
O that's something I just took as a live with kind of thing. My rear door needs to be closed firmly or I will get into the car and the rear of the car will glow red on the dash. I never thought to point that out to anyone. its funny what some feel is acceptable and others not so much.