18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by roywolfey »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:06 am
roywolfey wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:36 am I'll owned my 2018 Polo GTI+ a year next week. The only two issues were minor trim issues with a plastic clicky sound coming from the glove box lid, and a buzz from the passenger door at certain frequencies when playing music. Both fixed under Warranty. I'm otherwise super happy with my fault free Polo GTI+ and looking forward to at least another 3 years of ownership. :D
That's brilliant, sounds like you got a good one there. how are you finding the rear end stability? did you change the tyres out, I don't know why VW seem to average tyres on the UK modals.
My car is on the 17” Parkers and came with Michelin Primacy. No issues with stability and after 13k miles they don’t even look half worn. I’m more than pleased with the tyres. :)
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

roywolfey wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:41 pm
mike sel wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:06 am
roywolfey wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:36 am I'll owned my 2018 Polo GTI+ a year next week. The only two issues were minor trim issues with a plastic clicky sound coming from the glove box lid, and a buzz from the passenger door at certain frequencies when playing music. Both fixed under Warranty. I'm otherwise super happy with my fault free Polo GTI+ and looking forward to at least another 3 years of ownership. :D
That's brilliant, sounds like you got a good one there. how are you finding the rear end stability? did you change the tyres out, I don't know why VW seem to average tyres on the UK modals.
My car is on the 17” Parkers and came with Michelin Primacy. No issues with stability and after 13k miles they don’t even look half worn. I’m more than pleased with the tyres. :)
I did a few (maybe a little more than few) rough launches aaaaand my front winter tyres are mostly gone (around 4,5 to 5mm left) :-D by the way it was hell of a fun :twisted: :lol:
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

That fun is why you get the GTI. pleased your loving it. No point in having the GTI and doing the speeds I do..lol :D

Do you think there is more power to squeeze out of the 2.0l TSI? and if so will it be possible to get that extra power down to the road?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm That fun is why you get the GTI. pleased your loving it. No point in having the GTI and doing the speeds I do..lol :D

Do you think there is more power to squeeze out of the 2.0l TSI? and if so will it be possible to get that extra power down to the road?
VW might be able to squeeze a bit more power out of their 2.0l engine, but has anyone seen news about Ford bringing out a Focus ST imminently.
With a 2.3 litre engine, giving 280 BHP with a sprint time of 0 - 62 MPH in 5.7 seconds and a top speed of 155 MPH. which can also have 5 doors.
The increase performance is down to twin - scroll turbocharging technology which gives peak toque of 420Nm and an anti-lag system which Fords say it enables rapid delivery of boost on demand.
For those of you who don't like the DSG box in your GTI's and pluses, Ford launch models will only be available with a six-speed manual transmission, but a 7 speed automatic variant of the 2.3 litre petrol model will be introduced in the Autumn.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The Focus is in the model segment above the Polo, and will have a list price to reflect that (quite a few thousand pounds more than the Polo GTI / GTI+), so anyone considering a Focus ST would probably be looking at a Golf GTI in the VW model range rather than the Polo.

It’ll be interesting to see what the power output of the next generation Golf GTI is; the mk8 Golf due to be launched later this year and if history repeats itself, the Golf performance models usually don’t appear until a few months after launch of the non-performance models.
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm That fun is why you get the GTI. pleased your loving it. No point in having the GTI and doing the speeds I do..lol :D

Almost certainly. Its the same basic EA888 fitted to the Golf GTI and the R, which gives 245 (Performance version) and 310. Depends how much you want to spend. "Get that extra power down on the road" is the key part. 245 from the Golf works as it's a heavier car and has a mechanical limited slip diff. The Golf R has 4 wheel drive. I'd also be cautious about how much power can be put through the Polo's DSG gearbox and maintain reliability. My 6C GTI DSG has reduced torque over the manual version due to limitations of the gearbox. Going is one thing but stopping is another so the brakes may need beefing up and suspension as well. Maybe we both ought to go and have a chat with these guys - http://www.dorsetquantumtuning.co.uk - who estimate anything from 20-35% improvement just from a remap, which translates between 240-270. I don't hang around on the road but 270, plus whatever the torque increase may be, in an otherwise unmodified Polo GTI maybe pushing things little. Or maybe I'm getting to much an old fart and wimping out! Be interesting to hear what others have to say and get some idea what the new MQB chassis, DSG 6 speed gearbox and standard brakes can reliably handle. Not that it may give me ideas or anything :-)
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Trantor wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Almost certainly. Its the same basic EA888 fitted to the Golf GTI and the R, which gives 245 (Performance version) and 310. Depends how much you want to spend. "Get that extra power down on the road" is the key part. 245 from the Golf works as it's a heavier car and has a mechanical limited slip diff. The Golf R has 4 wheel drive. I'd also be cautious about how much power can be put through the Polo's DSG gearbox and maintain reliability. My 6C GTI DSG has reduced torque over the manual version due to limitations of the gearbox. Going is one thing but stopping is another so the brakes may need beefing up and suspension as well. Maybe we both ought to go and have a chat with these guys - http://www.dorsetquantumtuning.co.uk - who estimate anything from 20-35% improvement just from a remap, which translates between 240-270. I don't hang around on the road but 270, plus whatever the torque increase may be, in an otherwise unmodified Polo GTI maybe pushing things little. Or maybe I'm getting to much an old fart and wimping out! Be interesting to hear what others have to say and get some idea what the new MQB chassis, DSG 6 speed gearbox and standard brakes can reliably handle. Not that it may give me ideas or anything :-)
Someone here said that one company tried that and biggest enemy is heat. also it is EA888 yet not completly same as one used in Golf GTI/R. Because it is generation 3B and use budack cycle while under low load. It almost same engine as in Tiguan 2.0TSI. Iam sure there is a lot of potential in this engine but not sure if is it wort. It is quick and crazy enough already. :)
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Trantor wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Did your 6C GTI have the 7 speed dry clutch DSG box (DQ200)? This one is fitted to the lower output variants of the Polo and the Golf, but the DQ250 is fitted to the AW Polo GTI. It has a stock torque limit of 350nm, but it was also fitted to the pre facelift Golf R with 390nm and Golf GTD with 380nm - presumably with a software update to increase clamping pressure of the clutches and torque. With than in mind and current Polo GTI torque of 320nm, there's scope to increase it a little without causing damage to the DSG box.

On the Golf GTI and R, the ECU was pretty accessible for the DSG variants, and protected with a riveted on metal cage for the manual variants. Read into that what you will, but pretty much everyone who remapped or boxed their Golf GTI manual beyond stock and towards stock Golf R levels suffered a slipping clutch within 8k miles, no such issue with anyone doing the same with a DSG box. Whether the DSG box can handle more power or is intelligent enough to rein output in when it gets beyond the box's limits is debatable.

My Golf R had a few brief spells of clutch slip in colder weather, and had never been modified. VW are fitting chocolate clutches on their petrol models. My Golf GTD was up to 240ps and 450nm with a tuning box and was fine- the manual clutches fitted to TDIs seem much hardier.

I'd be far more confident that a DSG box could handle a remap than a manual box, without a new clutch

Burgersports were recommending no more than 250ps output to the Polo GTI as the stock intercooler (smaller than the Golf's) struggled beyond that during their development.of a suitable tuning box.
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:44 pm
Did your 6C GTI have the 7 speed dry clutch DSG box (DQ200)? This one is fitted to the lower output variants of the Polo and the Golf, but the DQ250 is fitted to the AW Polo GTI. It has a stock torque limit of 350nm, but it was also fitted to the pre facelift Golf R with 390nm and Golf GTD with 380nm - presumably with a software update to increase clamping pressure of the clutches and torque. With than in mind and current Polo GTI torque of 320nm, there's scope to increase it a little without causing damage to the DSG box.

On the Golf GTI and R, the ECU was pretty accessible for the DSG variants, and protected with a riveted on metal cage for the manual variants. Read into that what you will, but pretty much everyone who remapped or boxed their Golf GTI manual beyond stock and towards stock Golf R levels suffered a slipping clutch within 8k miles, no such issue with anyone doing the same with a DSG box. Whether the DSG box can handle more power or is intelligent enough to rein output in when it gets beyond the box's limits is debatable.

My Golf R had a few brief spells of clutch slip in colder weather, and had never been modified. VW are fitting chocolate clutches on their petrol models. My Golf GTD was up to 240ps and 450nm with a tuning box and was fine- the manual clutches fitted to TDIs seem much hardier.

I'd be far more confident that a DSG box could handle a remap than a manual box, without a new clutch

Burgersports were recommending no more than 250ps output to the Polo GTI as the stock intercooler (smaller than the Golf's) struggled beyond that during their development.of a suitable tuning box.
Thanks Monkeyhangar. Yes, the 7 speed dry clutch. My cautiousness with the AW Polo's 6 speed wet clutch was what it's limits were. The one fitted to the 7.5 Golf is a 7 speed so, being a bigger car, may have a larger casing, different clutch plates and maybe larger bearings. Anyway, sounds as though the Polo AW DSG has some scope, albeit with the intercooler limitations. Enough for me anyway! I haven't got the new car yet; next week or two hopefully. With the increase in torque over my 6C, the AW GTI will, most likely be fast enough. Good to have options though.

One thing I didn't mention was any adverse impact to the car warranty if you have a remap. Do you know if the warranty is voided?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Trantor wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:29 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks Monkeyhangar. Yes, the 7 speed dry clutch. My cautiousness with the AW Polo's 6 speed wet clutch was what it's limits were. The one fitted to the 7.5 Golf is a 7 speed so, being a bigger car, may have a larger casing, different clutch plates and maybe larger bearings. Anyway, sounds as though the Polo AW DSG has some scope, albeit with the intercooler limitations. Enough for me anyway! I haven't got the new car yet; next week or two hopefully. With the increase in torque over my 6C, the AW GTI will, most likely be fast enough. Good to have options though.

One thing I didn't mention was any adverse impact to the car warranty if you have a remap. Do you know if the warranty is voided?
The one fitted to the 7.5 Golf is the newer 7 speed wet clutch, but prior to Golf facelift, even the Golf R was using the DQ250 box, with 300ps and 390nm of torque. A mechanically responsible Polo GTI remap shouldn't put it any higher than 250-260ps and 380-400nm. I'd expect a DQ250 box to handle that.

If you remap your Polo and VW are aware of it, your engine and gearbox warranties are toast. Same if you lower your suspension and you get failure of the shocks - VW will blame the modification and not pay out.

Modifying before you've established that your car's components are fault free is a bit of a risk. I'd want my engine and gearbox to be running for 2 years before I'd considered them to be almost certainly free of manufacturing defects that won't manifest themselves in the 3rd year of warranty.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

I have just been driving a Citroen 3 for a 4 hour round trip. it was derv manual and very spongy. I got into my POLO and realised what a great car the Polo really is. sturdy, well planted on the road, agile and just a class place to be for my drive home. Thank you Citroen for making me realise just what a good car I own. VW Polo is really a great car. :D
Simmo
New
Drives: 1.0 (95bhp) SE

Post by Simmo »

I've had my SE for two weeks and whilst is does have two small niggles, I'm really enjoying driving it.

VW have spent money on the right areas of the car, quality leather and soft touch plastics - shame it didn't extend to door capping too, but you can't have everything.

Tech is just great, infotainment is just seamless as is carplay. Seats a really comfortable and the driving position is really easy to adjust.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Simmo wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:45 pm I've had my SE for two weeks and whilst is does have two small niggles, I'm really enjoying driving it.

VW have spent money on the right areas of the car, quality leather and soft touch plastics - shame it didn't extend to door capping too, but you can't have everything.

Tech is just great, infotainment is just seamless as is carplay. Seats a really comfortable and the driving position is really easy to adjust.
Pleased your happy with your Polo, I hope you have many years of trouble free motoring. Enjoy. :D
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

I have had my polo 15 months now and I am on 17385 miles. I am getting close to my second service I assume this is the so called big service? the first service I had back in jan at 8,800miles I am told the service is every 10k miles. so I am thinking the second service should not be until 20k miles or does it not work like that?

basically should it be serviced at 18800miles or do I wait?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:52 pm I have had my polo 15 months now and I am on 17385 miles. I am getting close to my second service I assume this is the so called big service? the first service I had back in jan at 8,800miles I am told the service is every 10k miles. so I am thinking the second service should not be until 20k miles or does it not work like that?

basically should it be serviced at 18800miles or do I wait?
Every 10k miles +/- 1000 miles. If you do one early, you should be within 11k miles of your last one for your next one, so I would get yours done between 18800 miles and 19800 miles.