18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

rear view camera is a must for me if I don't want low level damage to the rear bumper, I have to reverse park my car within 1cm of a wall to fit it into the parking space and not stick out over the pavement at the front. The parking sensors are useless under about 12cm. So its interesting one persons option is another's must have.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

When I purchased my polo I noticed the advertised MPG was 60.1 for the 115hp DSG I see on the configurator that this had dropped to just over 57MPG supposedly real world.

Now when it showed just over 60 MPG I always thought about 10% exaggeration and so wasn't expecting more than say 54mpg (in fact I thought about 50mph over all running on average for the cars life). In the new system im not sure if its still going to be 10% lower, or is the same car and same engine now tested more accurately, thus the 5% reduction on the original claim? Or is it that there is a new component in the exhaust system that is reducing the MPG in the new tested cars so we still have to allow for about 10% exaggeration in the MPG claim.

Im confused...yes it don't take a lot, but just when I thought I had it kind of sussed they go and change it. So now im lost again. :roll:
Last edited by mike sel on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

There will normally be many variables that this new method of testing can not take into consideration, but I’d think when any of these newly re-tested cars are checked by any county’s own regulatory bodies under the same conditions, then the results should be within acceptable limits. For the user maybe not much in the actual MPG they regularly see displayed, or compute from fuel volume and distance travelled - and yes any extras like GPF will reduce MPG figures slightly.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:05 pm There will normally be many variables that this new method of testing can not take into consideration, but I’d think when any of these newly re-tested cars are checked by any county’s own regulatory bodies under the same conditions, then the results should be within acceptable limits. For the user maybe not much in the actual MPG they regularly see displayed, or compute from fuel volume and distance travelled - and yes any extras like GPF will reduce MPG figures slightly.
The car has undergone major Turbo and injector modifications to increase the efficiency of MY2019 Gpf equipped cars, to the point where they are actually more efficient around town and overall, especially with the new WLTP tests.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe 12 months down the line would be a safer time to declare fuel usage savings from the changes that brought in GPF?
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:35 pm Maybe 12 months down the line would be a safer time to declare fuel usage savings from the changes that brought in GPF?
No I understand, but they habe been working on the GPF implementation since at least a few months before the Launch of the Polo, as they announced the GPF in the speech.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm When I purchased my polo I noticed the advertised MPG was 60.1 for the 115hp DSG I see on the configurator that this had dropped to just over 57MPG supposedly real world.

Now when it showed just over 60 MPG I always thought about 10% exaggeration and so wasn't expecting more than say 54mpg (in fact I thought about 50mph over all running on average for the cars life). In the new system im not sure if its still going to be 10% lower, or is the same car and same engine now tested more accurately, thus the 5% reduction on the original claim? Or is it that there is a new component in the exhaust system that is reducing the MPG in the new tested cars so we still have to allow for about 10% exaggeration in the MPG claim.

Im confused...yes it don't take a lot, but just when I thought I had it kind of sussed they go and change it. So now im lost again. :roll:
Mike: When the old NEDC test came in, I was able to generally beat the official combined figures (just) around the doors. Then around 2012/2013 everyone implemented stop-start (there were "blue" variants a few years prior with the tech) and the NEDC figures rose around 20% because 24% of the NEDC test cycle is with the car at a standstill - turning the engine off at these rest points really ups the official figures. I couldn't get near the new figures.

The new WLTP test cycle is a better representation of real driving, so although the official WLTP figures are worse than the official NEDC figures, real driving mpg should be at least as good as the old figures, if not better.

I'd wager that the car manufacturers at a minimum will tweak their gear ratios to better suit the WLTP test cycle.

For clarity, i'd like the car manufacturers to test the revised cars to both NEDC and WLTP standards so you can compare NEDC mpg data from your old car to that of the new one.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

The new tests are closer to real world driving for various reasons, some mentioned above. I still think they are optimistic, in part because they don’t go to motorway speeds, so car makers will probably adjust the gears to favour 50 mph at the expense of 60-70 mph.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm
mike sel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm When I purchased my polo I noticed the advertised MPG was 60.1 for the 115hp DSG I see on the configurator that this had dropped to just over 57MPG supposedly real world.

Mike: When the old NEDC test came in, I was able to generally beat the official combined figures (just) around the doors. Then around 2012/2013 everyone implemented stop-start (there were "blue" variants a few years prior with the tech) and the NEDC figures rose around 20% because 24% of the NEDC test cycle is with the car at a standstill - turning the engine off at these rest points really ups the official figures. I couldn't get near the new figures.

The new WLTP test cycle is a better representation of real driving, so although the official WLTP figures are worse than the official NEDC figures, real driving mpg should be at least as good as the old figures, if not better.

I'd wager that the car manufacturers at a minimum will tweak their gear ratios to better suit the WLTP test cycle.

For clarity, i'd like the car manufacturers to test the revised cars to both NEDC and WLTP standards so you can compare NEDC mpg data from your old car to that of the new one.
Thanks for the clarity, I just looked at my long term MPG, When I got the car it has 9 miles on it I suppose delivery miles (all that driving on and off car transporters form SA). I have now done 5600 miles and have an average from new of 51 mpg. now that takes in the pre run in period when I was just about getting 38-42pmg. but it is also all summer driving. I am expecting a reduction through the winter. I will reset the long term to see what the car now does over the whole winter right from the clock change this weekend.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:08 pm The new tests are closer to real world driving for various reasons, some mentioned above. I still think they are optimistic, in part because they don’t go to motorway speeds, so car makers will probably adjust the gears to favour 50 mph at the expense of 60-70 mph.
Yea you guys are saying they may play with the gearing to make the car more efficient at around the 50mpg. I hope they don't. I am liking my Polo, so much so that I will probably order another (when we get the facelift).

You never know they may do an electric one with decent range then, of course there will need to be about 10 times as many charging points. To make an electric one viable for me I would need around 200 miles real world winter range and a reliable recharge infrastructure with a recharge time of say 30 mins as standard. So leaving home on a full charge with air con on, heated seats on, driving in normal mode I would need to do 225 miles to get to a regular location I visit then back again in a day leave home at say 8am arrive about 11.30am then leave there at 6pm arrive home about 9.30 -10pm. I currently can in my petrol polo.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

just completed a 55 mile round trip. All country roads, both heated seats on aircon on got av 55mph :D
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Leif wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm As regards the moon landings, the very idea that sane people are debating their authenticity is a shocking indictment of our age. Buzz Aldrin punched someone who said it was faked. I don’t blame him.
Nor me, astronauts and cosmonauts are brave beyond comprehension. My query on the moon landings is: why they returned so many times as there isn't an awful lot there, apart from being a geologists paradise, to justify so many return trips. So back on topic: cars then, New Polo and stuff....
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Last few cold mornings the wing mirrors all misted up. These clear so quickly when I switch the heated mirror function on. I mean like 30 seconds or something. Im not even out of the road I live in and they are clear. very impressive.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, every car I've had with heated mirrors clears them very quickly, they might take longer in deepest winter!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

stevereeves wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:48 am
Leif wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm As regards the moon landings, the very idea that sane people are debating their authenticity is a shocking indictment of our age. Buzz Aldrin punched someone who said it was faked. I don’t blame him.
Nor me, astronauts and cosmonauts are brave beyond comprehension. My query on the moon landings is: why they returned so many times as there isn't an awful lot there, apart from being a geologists paradise, to justify so many return trips. So back on topic: cars then, New Polo and stuff....
Off topic I know ... however, there were in fact going to be more landings but they stopped at 17. The first missions picked up little in the way of samples, later ones took a rover, allowing greater exploration, and picked up masses of lunar rocks. So I guess it was the science that drove them to continue once they'd achieved the big American willy waving feat that was Apollo 11.

As to my Polo, I love it. Nearly drove into the side of a car yesterday, silly woman pulled out from a side road into my path. :shock: