18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by MattB911 »

Has anyone experienced a rattle coming from the from passenger side door? Cannot seem to pin point where it's coming from.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

might be from inside doors. something like loose cables, broken plastic clip etc. hard to say this way, maybe take it to dealer and they will take door panel off
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’d always be a little wary of getting the dealer to track down and eliminate creaks and rattles. There've been quite a few incidents over the years discussed on other forums where dealers have created additional creaks and rattled when attempting to resolve the one(s) they were attempting to fix. It’s also not unknown for the dealer to damage pieces of interior trim in the process too - some have denied causing the damage too!

If you know what’s causing the noise, it’s sometimes better to get a set of trim removal tools, and basic items like self adhesive felt / foam, cable ties etc., take your time and fix it yourself.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

MattB911 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 pm Has anyone experienced a rattle coming from the from passenger side door? Cannot seem to pin point where it's coming from.
Unrelated perhaps but I have a really minor rattle coming from the glove box lid. Open the lid and put some slight sideways force on it and it goes away. Really minor and not all the time, I’m sure I’ll get round to investigating it and fixing it myself one day in the manner SRGT suggested. :)
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

AH, I have been having a kind of plastic on plastic clicking noise coming from the passenger side. I cant pin point it. I took all the stuff out of the glove box and passenger door, I have removed everything from the driver side as well and just thinking about taking everything out of the boot. So as to get the car to what it was when delivered. I have to say there were no noticeable noises when I got the car so I am hoping its some personal item that I have put in there.

I will give it the weekend, I have a 4 our round trip Sunday so I am sure by the time I get home I will know if the noise has gone or not.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:18 pm AH, I have been having a kind of plastic on plastic clicking noise coming from the passenger side. I cant pin point it. I took all the stuff out of the glove box and passenger door, I have removed everything from the driver side as well and just thinking about taking everything out of the boot. So as to get the car to what it was when delivered. I have to say there were no noticeable noises when I got the car so I am hoping its some personal item that I have put in there.

I will give it the weekend, I have a 4 our round trip Sunday so I am sure by the time I get home I will know if the noise has gone or not.
Try having a passenger apply finger pressure to the passenger door opening surround/insert while rattling/buzzing and see if it dusappears. Someone here had theirs packed out under warranty, and I have experienced buzz once - while on a particularly rough/ridged concrete stretch of road on the outskirts of York. The wife's finged pressure on the bottom/rear of the insert stopped the buzzing.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 pm
mike sel wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:18 pm AH, I have been having a kind of plastic on plastic clicking noise coming from the passenger side. I cant pin point it. I took all the stuff out of the glove box and passenger door, I have removed everything from the driver side as well and just thinking about taking everything out of the boot. So as to get the car to what it was when delivered. I have to say there were no noticeable noises when I got the car so I am hoping its some personal item that I have put in there.

I will give it the weekend, I have a 4 hour round trip Sunday so I am sure by the time I get home I will know if the noise has gone or not.
Try having a passenger apply finger pressure to the passenger door opening surround/insert while rattling/buzzing and see if it dusappears. Someone here had theirs packed out under warranty, and I have experienced buzz once - while on a particularly rough/ridged concrete stretch of road on the outskirts of York. The wife's finged pressure on the bottom/rear of the insert stopped the buzzing.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

mike sel wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:57 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 pm

I will give it the weekend, I have a 4 hour round trip Sunday so I am sure by the time I get home I will know if the noise has gone or not.
Thanks for the tip will check that out
ranxzy
New
Drives: Beats

Post by ranxzy »

For those who have paid extra for the "Driver profiles selection" do you find that the suspension/damping changes at all when selecting sport/normal?

I test drove a 95ps SE with the 15" Falken ZE914 tyres and while not uncomfortable, the ride was ever so slightly firm.

Hoping that the Beats 95 I have on order with 16" rims will be perfectly fine, I have added the driver profiles selection among other goodies.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ranxzy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:41 am For those who have paid extra for the "Driver profiles selection" do you find that the suspension/damping changes at all when selecting sport/normal?

I test drove a 95ps SE with the 15" Falken ZE914 tyres and while not uncomfortable, the ride was ever so slightly firm.

Hoping that the Beats 95 I have on order with 16" rims will be perfectly fine, I have added the driver profiles selection among other goodies.
Damping selection only comes with GTI/GTI+ as far as i'm aware.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:27 pm
ranxzy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:41 am For those who have paid extra for the "Driver profiles selection" do you find that the suspension/damping changes at all when selecting sport/normal?

Damping selection only comes with GTI/GTI+ as far as i'm aware.
no driver mode is basically a button by the DSG shifter that offers eco, normal, sport and individual modes, it changes the aircon, the steering and gear change speed. But has nothing to do with ride quality. Not available currently on the Beats. if it were at 850 sovs I am not sure I would invest. I have 16" Wheels and it does not seem too firm. I guess its a matter of personal taste.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Update. Having removed every personal item from the car and drove it for about a week I have not detected any squeaks and bangs etc. so it must have been a personal item that caused the plastic on plastic clicking I was getting. I can put my stuff back with care. :D
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:52 am I’d always be a little wary of getting the dealer to track down and eliminate creaks and rattles. There've been quite a few incidents over the years discussed on other forums where dealers have created additional creaks and rattled when attempting to resolve the one(s) they were attempting to fix. It’s also not unknown for the dealer to damage pieces of interior trim in the process too - some have denied causing the damage too!

If you know what’s causing the noise, it’s sometimes better to get a set of trim removal tools, and basic items like self adhesive felt / foam, cable ties etc., take your time and fix it yourself.
Your a knowledgeable guy, do you think the new regulation compliant cars will perform any differently in the real world? I think the petrol's are having particulate filters? have I got that right? I wonder if that will make the pre filter cars better to drive and there hold more value or worse?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The addition of a GPF filter in the system will be better for your lungs, but potentially worse for running. They are coming, and in some cases already here (the up! GTI with the 116ps 1.0TSI unit already has one.

Since petrols went direct injection like diesels, they've been belching out the soot, i'm surprised it hasn't been a requirement already.

There may become no such thing as a short journey car, we've all been warned since the implementation of DPFs not to buy a diesel if you do predominantly short journeys,.

So the pensioner shopping trolley car that just goes to Morrisons and back twice a week (my mate's 78 year old dad's car does 700 miles a year) may have to be an EV in future to avoid problems.

These particulate filters are a ceramic block sitting somewhere along your exhaust (nearer the engine, the better, for quick warm up). The block has a fine hollow structure (like honeycomb) that the exhaust gases work their way through, depositing the soot along the way. The ceramic block heats up to burn the soot and keep the structural pathways clear. If the PF doesn't get hot enough, the pathways clog up and tge car runs poorly with increased back pressure and will gave to force an active regen by forcing the car to run hotter and putting fuel in the exhaust to burn and up the temp - your performance and mpg then take a hammering.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:45 pm The addition of a GPF filter in the system will be better for your lungs, but potentially worse for running. They are coming, and in some cases already here (the up! GTI with the 116ps 1.0TSI unit already has one.

Since petrols went direct injection like diesels, they've been belching out the soot, i'm surprised it hasn't been a requirement already.

There may become no such thing as a short journey car, we've all been warned since the implementation of DPFs not to buy a diesel if you do predominantly short journeys,.

So the pensioner shopping trolley car that just goes to Morrisons and back twice a week (my mate's 78 year old dad's car does 700 miles a year) may have to be an EV in future to avoid problems.

These particulate filters are a ceramic block sitting somewhere along your exhaust (nearer the engine, the better, for quick warm up). The block has a fine hollow structure (like honeycomb) that the exhaust gases work their way through, depositing the soot along the way. The ceramic block heats up to burn the soot and keep the structural pathways clear. If the PF doesn't get hot enough, the pathways clog up and tge car runs poorly with increased back pressure and will gave to force an active regen by forcing the car to run hotter and putting fuel in the exhaust to burn and up the temp - your performance and mpg then take a hammering.
Ok I didn't know this stuff, as I understand it Derv cars over 4 years old will have problems with being charged a premium to get in to London Southampton etc. I wonder if that could happen to none filtered petrol. I was very confused when looking for my new car, I like dervs because I like good fuel econ. so I was looking for one in a small car, then I read and saw on the news about what seemed like an unreasonable war on derv vehicles. But the more I read and listened too (mates, up the pub, on the news etc it kind of felt like if you purchased a new derv you would have a struggle moving it on and worse maybe even be banned from driving into some cities. That is why in the end I went for petrol. when I ordered my polo in Jan I had no idea about the new tests and filters on petrol's. I get they are pressuring us into electrics but the infrastructure is just not there to support an electric only owner experience yet, even the chargers that are out there seem to be hit and miss as to whether they actually work. I thought about electric, even test drove a Nissan leaf, but I was shocked on a rainy dark day in Jan how quickly the charge dropped, Im not kidding picked the car up on a full charge, I drove home from the dealer (14miles) aircon on lights on wipers on, and I actually watched the charge drop. I took the car to a friends (14 mile round trip) and we went for a spin, (still raining still murky still dam cold) still watching the charge drop. looked for a charge point (not easy) found one another 8 miles, then did a dummy charge run (pain in the ass) the charger it transpired was not working. so we dove back to his and I took the car back, I did about 70 miles in total and I was worried about range by the time I dropped the car back. for a one car person electric is not the answer yet. I have a long wait to go before I could live with one, double the full charge range, quadruple the charging infrastructure and make it reliable, reduce the full recharge time to 30 mins and I MAY just be able to live with one. With the war on derv? I stuck with petrol until the war on derv stops.