18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by peeceeuk »

Would that make it a Gti++ deal?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:46 pm As long as my incoming Polo GTI+ doesn't come with a surprise EU import tariff for me to pay, that's my immediate Brexit concerns relevant to a car forum done.
Aren't there two factories Polos are built in?
Spain and Brazil?
If it's Brazil, then you've no worries as it's already a 'third country' and any taxes will have been built into the cost.
If it's Spain, then potentially there's suddenly going to be duty payable after Mar 29th.
Although I can't see it myself, I think 99.9% of EU goods will still come in here duty free.
But I've only been in shipping for 35 years, what do I know (seriously, not even HMRC know what the hell is happening yet).
Speaking to an HMRC office in Dover the other day, he said if it's a hard Brexit "We're f***ed", meaning Dover can't possibly cope at it is.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Funny, my Polo was built in South Africa 8)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:17 pm Funny, my Polo was built in South Africa 8)
Same as Brazil then.
Third country, any applicable duties will have been taken account of in the price.
May well be a free trade agreement I'm not aware of that means they're duty free, as I would to expect to happen with any EU goods.
Used to be a form called a T2L accompanied european goods to signify they were duty free, back in the day when EU goods still needed a declaration at the border.
Good god I don't want to go back to that in our industry.....massive step back.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

All the RHD Polos for all RHD markets are being built in South Africa, but, it is VW AG that are supplying these cars to VW UK who are the official importers in UK, so does that not change things back to them being supplied by an EU country.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 pm All the RHD Polos for all RHD markets are being built in South Africa, but, it is VW AG that are supplying these cars to VW UK who are the official importers in UK, so does that not change things back to them being supplied by an EU country.
Correct.
Rules of origin and customs status are funny.
For example, let's say you buy a UK built car in America, for the sake of argument.
It's country of origin is still the UK, but it has lost it's 'status'.
So duty would be applicable if you took it back to the UK, even though it came from here in the first place.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:23 pm
silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:17 pm Funny, my Polo was built in South Africa 8)
Same as Brazil then.
Third country, any applicable duties will have been taken account of in the price.
May well be a free trade agreement I'm not aware of that means they're duty free, as I would to expect to happen with any EU goods.
Used to be a form called a T2L accompanied european goods to signify they were duty free, back in the day when EU goods still needed a declaration at the border.
Good god I don't want to go back to that in our industry.....massive step back.
It's not the same, there's 7,000 odd miles difference between Brazil and South Africa
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:57 pm It's not the same, there's 7,000 odd miles difference between Brazil and South Africa
Jesus, how bored are you. :roll:
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Admit it, you were wrong :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:24 pm Admit it, you were wrong :D
Wrong with where they're built?
Note it's 'they're' by the way.
Whoop dee doo, couldn't care less, same difference in import terms.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The SA built Polos come to the UK via Emden (Germany) presumably for ease of distribution and to perform "QC checks" that will justify a "built in the EU" status (even if only a tiny bit).

If UK import tariffs were applied for EU supplied cars that were less favourable than those we may suffer from SA (if the "free of the EU rules" British government imposed any), I'm sure VW could arrange for UK bound cars to come straight from SA and avoid officially going into the EU first.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm The SA built Polos come to the UK via Emden (Germany) presumably for ease of distribution and to perform "QC checks" that will justify a "built in the EU" status (even if only a tiny bit).

Afraid not.
Rules of origin are that at least 75% of the process that makes it the final item has to be done in the EU to qualify as EU origin.
So it's a South African car, simple as that.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm If UK import tariffs were applied for EU supplied cars that were less favourable than those we may suffer from SA (if the "free of the EU rules" British government imposed any), I'm sure VW could arrange for UK bound cars to come straight from SA and avoid officially going into the EU first.
Yeah, these sorts of weird scenarios are why I think 99.9% of EU imports will be duty free.
The latest guidance from HMRC is that even VAT won't be collected at the time of import.
It will be deferred and dealt with later.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 am
mike sel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 pm
Most every one I know, a lot of whom voted out, are happy to have people form all over the world join us here in the UK. Most feel that we would rather control the numbers and skills of the people that come, just like most other Nations in the word do. So that we can plan housing, and services for them, Its logical and practical. At the moment we have our dear friends from all over Europe just arrive in an unplanned way putting a strain on services and jobs, that is not logical or practical, especially in a country made up of a collection of islands with limited space.

Limited space....do you know less than 10% of the UK is developed?
As for putting a strain on services, it's been proven time and time again that immigrants contribute far more to the British system than they take.
Dear oh dear, I can almost see the face you pulled when you typed 'dear friends...' :(
Andy, now I am sure you deliberately misinterpret things that are said. I have loads of friends around Europe, personal friends, they are reasonable people who just want to get on with their lives, some understand the UK some don't, but then I don't pretend to understand their ways of life fully.

When I say European friends I mean friends and your assertion otherwise is offensive.

I have never said immigrants do not contribute to society, most do, but it is obvious to all that it is impractical to simply allow large percentages of the population of the EU to descend on one place should they choose too without notice. Just think how the immigrant population could contribute IF we planned immigration properly just like other countries around the world already do.

Of course it is better to identify the skills the UK needs and go out to the wider world and search for them, plan to bring in the numbers you want and ensure that the infrastructure is there to cope. It really is the obtuse that would not admit that.

Your reference to only 10% of the UK being developed is misleading and refers to urbanisation. I agree only 10.3 % of England and wales is urbanised, 1.3% of Scotland. but of course that does not take into account the county side, outside of the city's there are huge numbers living in semi urban environments and in rural environments, to the point where IF say only 0.5 % of the population of the EU chose to move to the UK without warning we would have a crisis of services not being able to cope. services have already been stretched everywhere partly by unplanned immigration

Obvious solution, plan it.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:07 am
silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am Get independence, and Scotland can stay in the EU 8)
I would rather stay part of the union and part of the EU.
But if independence is what it takes, so be it.
Vessels full of tyres coming into Grangemouth with no customs issues....luxury....
If you want independence from the UK Andy, I would think Scotland's best chance would be to give the whole of the UK a vote on it. You may just get what you wish for then.