18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am If you have a look under the bonnet area and find where the washer hoses get routed to the bonnet, if the washers on the current Polo are bonnet mounted, then you should see either tubes wrapped in protective tape or tubes plus wires wrapped in protective tape.

As said, if you keep the washer fluid at the correct concentration the washers should not normally freeze unless conditions get really serious, I did not have heated washers on my Passat and it never froze up while I parked it at work or when away from home.

Edit:- 4C early morning in the deep South during early September, ouch, I thought that I had made a bad move back in early September 1969 when I moved from the West coast of Scotland to the East coast of Scotland for uni - maybe that was also after a good summer!

Another Edit:- rear air vents, I believe that retro fitting them is possible, some one has done that to a 6R/6C Polo but it gets a bit costly even if you do the work yourself.
Fair enough I will keep the washer liquid at high strength, I think the issue in the winter is I use so much of it, in the summer I use it if I get too many bugs on the windscreen on a long country drive, diving to Cornwall in August can see the windscreen covered in bugs, so much so I have to actually stop and properly wash the screen, the washer cant cope. But it is just the odd day this happens on, normally in the summer washer fluid use is fairly minimal. In the winter the use of screen wash goes through the roof, we have so much rock salt on the roads that on a bright sunny Dec, Jan & Feb day there is always salt on the roads and just enough moisture to allow it to be thrown into the air by the vehicles in front and cover the windshield with a dirty white salt film that say every 10 mins or so needs to be washed off. What concerns me is what damage is the salt and car washer mix doing to the car? and how much it costs im getting through a bottle on a long journey, and the temptation is to water it down to save money, also using a less highly concentrated mix should be better for the environment? I will have to beef the concentration up this winter.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Well, after buying a refractometer for confirming coolant strength (don't ask, but new toys are essential?), I used it to measure the freezing point of my washer fluid, and got a shock as I have been living in a fool's paradise for years and seem to have got away with it. Typically I buy Holts>Pestone's concentrate and dilute it down with 2X the same quantity of water, with the idea that this gives me protection down to -16C, this is based on some info I found back in 2010 - now that source is unknown to me, anyway when I checked my mixture using the refractometer it returned a value of -5C! So, maybe the plan for this coming winter is to mix any premixed solutions with equal quantities of water to beef it up a bit!

I'm at the point where I'm considering buying VW Group washer fluid concentrate by the case to bring the price down, then convert to using that.

Edit:- you talking about the combination of salty water and sunlight in winter, reminds me of a nasty winter's journey back up to Scotland from Kent, my VW Passat 4Motion was only 6 months old at the time and I was blissfully unaware that as I had completed a personal import from Holland, it seems that enabling the fitted washer fluid level warning, and the fitted brake wear warning was not part of life in Holland VW land back in 2000. Nasty shock time came when the washers stopped clearing the white covering from the windscreen, so until I needed to stop for fuel, I had to find a truck, get into its "wash" and collect some wet salty water to clear the windscreen for a few meters or miles! I had a container of conc washer fluid in the boot so sorted that out at the fuel stop - the motorway service areas were well stocked with pallets of premixed washer fluid, so someone knew what was going on!
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am
mike sel wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:11 am Well it was cold and damp out (4 degrees and car all misted up on the outside). I had to use the rear window heater , worked like a charm, the heated seat, worked well, and I had to de-mist the inside of the wind screen and that cleared quite quickly. The dash warning flashed up for possible ice, it seems to do this at 4 degrees.

Side mirrors did not seem to clear very quickly so I don't know what temperature they are supposed to be heated at. But the heated seat was lovely. My wife will love this option. With all that switched on the car started well & seemed lively. I am now confident of a safe and warm winters driving. I did only get 42MPG on this 11 mile drive to work where as I can get over 52 without the toys running they are quite a drain.

The only fly in the ointment is the potential (should I say certainty) that the windscreen washers are not heated. I have been told by the dealer that they are heated and the only thing that I did not get on the winter pack option was the headlight washers, I am certain the windscreen jets are not heated, proof will come in a morning drive to work in early February.

My verdict after 3 months driving the Polo sel 116 :?: I would rate it 7/10, it lose a point for the hard plastics inside on the door cards and no air vents in the rear as well as all the hard plastics there too, a point for the hassle with the centre seat belt and the missing heated washer jets and headlight washers. So without the niggly teething troubles it would be an 8/10.
Mike, glad you’re still enjoying life with your Polo.

The heated mirrors don’t activate automatically; you need to rotate the mirror adjustment knob on the driver’s door to the mirror heating position - stupid design IMO, and would be much better if the activated automatically when you switch on the rear screen demister and the outside temperature is below a certain temperature.

If you have your washer fluid at an appropriate concentration for winter use, you shouldn’t need heated washers. If you had heated washers and your washer fluid concentration is too weak, heated washers won’t stop the fluid freezing in the pipe work beteeen the washers and the fluid reservoir. The washer jets on the Polo are shielded from much of the cold air movement in winter as they’re positioned below the rear edge of the bonnet, rather than being surface mounted. So, with winter strength washer fluid, you should be fine.
Thank you for that I don't know how long it would take for me to have worked that out. Ill try next time is cold here. It was funny to have a 4 degrees morning the other day as by lunch it was over 20 ? but I did get to try out my cold weather stuff.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I moved from owning a brilliant 1991 VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4 which had heated mirrors, which I think could only be switched on when the rear screen was powered, which was on a timer, to a brand new 2000 VW Passat 4Motion which had heated mirrors.
I seem to use the heaters in the same way as I did with the Cav GSI 4X4, ie during wet cold periods when carrying other people in the car, the mirror "heater on" switch was left on and the rear window heater was used daily.
While browsing the main Passat forum, I spotted a few instances of people having burnt out their mirror heaters by leaving them on all year round, I thought that that was complete nonsense until I checked my mirror heaters, both heater tapes were burnt out with just the outline left in the backing fixing tape! That cost me a bit to replace both mirror heaters, lesson learned, I think that Audi mirrors do have thermostats in them for heater tape protection and that Passat was just old Audi A4 B5 platform bits and pieces, but unnecessary parts left out, so that meant that the mirror heaters were left exposed to self destruction if not used with care!
I caution my wife regularly about this when I find the mirror heaters have been left selected (once bitten twice shy).
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am I moved from owning a brilliant 1991 VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4 which had heated mirrors, which I think could only be switched on when the rear screen was powered, which was on a timer, to a brand new 2000 VW Passat 4Motion which had heated mirrors.
I seem to use the heaters in the same way as I did with the Cav GSI 4X4, ie during wet cold periods when carrying other people in the car, the mirror "heater on" switch was left on and the rear window heater was used daily.
While browsing the main Passat forum, I spotted a few instances of people having burnt out their mirror heaters by leaving them on all year round, I thought that that was complete nonsense until I checked my mirror heaters, both heater tapes were burnt out with just the outline left in the backing fixing tape! That cost me a bit to replace both mirror heaters, lesson learned, I think that Audi mirrors do have thermostats in them for heater tape protection and that Passat was just old Audi A4 B5 platform bits and pieces, but unnecessary parts left out, so that meant that the mirror heaters were left exposed to self destruction if not used with care!
I caution my wife regularly about this when I find the mirror heaters have been left selected (once bitten twice shy).
Ok I get it just turn the heated mirrors on until they are clear on chilly days.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The mirror and rear window heating do shut themselves off after a maximum time (6 mins, I believe I read in the manual once) on the current MK7 Golf, and also on the Scirocco from 2009. I'd imagine the Polo now has it, considering all the tech available on wing mirrors such as folding, reverse tilt, LED repeaters, blind spot monitoring. Would have been an oversight way back in the early 00's, but when every bit of energy conservation counts towards mpg , i'd be amazed if not implemented from an efficiency point of view alone. There may even be something in the manual for the current Polo, but I can't be bothered to go and get it from the glovebox. Does no harm to shut it off early though.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

After 2 hour drive to a meeting today, I was just getting out of the Polo (reversed parked) I was asked if I liked my new Golf! he also said those headlights are unusual! when I pointed out it was a polo he did not believe me I had to show him the rear of the car!. he loved the digi dash and could not believe the specification I had on the car. :D
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

As its getting darker earlier and light later, I am noticing the normal (non LED) headlights seem to not throw the light far enough in front of the car. Dorset has a lot of unlit roads, it all Ok around town, just not enough throw on the unlit roads. Im thinking of upgrading the bulbs can anyone recommend any
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

mike sel wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:11 pm As its getting darker earlier and light later, I am noticing the normal (non LED) headlights seem to not throw the light far enough in front of the car. Dorset has a lot of unlit roads, it all Ok around town, just not enough throw on the unlit roads. Im thinking of upgrading the bulbs can anyone recommend any
I think most people will back me saying Phillips 120% cooler sode for colour is definitely near if not at the top of bulbs to get. Just be prepared to change them every 6-8 months (burns brighter but for shorter).
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

TElwoody wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 pm
mike sel wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:11 pm As its getting darker earlier and light later, I am noticing the normal (non LED) headlights seem to not throw the light far enough in front of the car. Dorset has a lot of unlit roads, it all Ok around town, just not enough throw on the unlit roads. Im thinking of upgrading the bulbs can anyone recommend any
I think most people will back me saying Phillips 120% cooler sode for colour is definitely near if not at the top of bulbs to get. Just be prepared to change them every 6-8 months (burns brighter but for shorter).
Thank you so I suppose I will have to learn how to change the headlight bulbs on this polo then, are there really no longer lasting ones? I know Halfords charge to change the bulbs but I bet they don't know how too on this new polo yet.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

From experience of using Philips Extremes on my wife's previous Polo 9N, I'd be expecting them to last a lot longer than that.

Her first set bought/fitted in late 2002 lasted 18>24 months and that was with her leaving home in darkness in winter and returning home in darkness, next pair lasted maybe 24>36 months with same usage, next two sets might even have lasted slightly longer and the next set the same.

Anyway as the light output was the primary concern needing to replace bulbs every 2 to 3 years was okay by me, after fitting a set I ordered up the next set from probably Powerbulbs.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:11 pm From experience of using Philips Extremes on my wife's previous Polo 9N, I'd be expecting them to last a lot longer than that.

Her first set bought/fitted in late 2002 lasted 18>24 months and that was with her leaving home in darkness in winter and returning home in darkness, next pair lasted maybe 24>36 months with same usage, next two sets might even have lasted slightly longer and the next set the same.

Anyway as the light output was the primary concern needing to replace bulbs every 2 to 3 years was okay by me, after fitting a set I ordered up the next set from probably Powerbulbs.
yes that sounds better, I am also thinking that once I have removed the headlights and changed the bulbs it may not be such a difficult process as it sounds. last night I was driving in town and the std fit bulbs were fine in lit up areas. Its just outside towns in unlit roads it just seems I would like it a bit whiter with a further throw, im not sure its the bulb that throws the beam further up the road of the actual headlight cluster. im gonna give it a go this weekend and see how I get on.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I've had 120+ bulbs in my current car for more than 6 years, still on the original ones I fitted. I understand they do burn out faster, (as stated in many car magazines), I have fitted them to the grand kids cars, and they've not had any problems, their over three year old bulbs. Must be luck of the draw?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Mike SEL, if I remember correctly, the reason why these modern VW Group cars head light assemblies are difficult to remove is down to the fact that while these assemblies are secured/locked in position by 2 bolts for each assembly, the "snap in" anchor/pivot points at the rear are just that a hard nylon cylinder shaped part oriented horizontally at two points and fixed to the assembly and a mating "U" bracket shaped part at two points on the head light assembly car side mounting, that needs to be forced open slightly to let the cylindrical parts escape. So when you demount these assemblies they refuse to budge then release "with a bang" - which adds to the excitement and probably causes most of the pain to your hands - locating yourself in front of the head lights stops them being projected out completely. When remounting them you should hear a satisfying click/clunk as the nylon anchor/pivot parts re-engage. That is all from memory, like most other tasks sounds impossible, starts to feel like it really is impossible - then the head light assembly disengages with its mounting - success, and try to ignore the pains in your hands!
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Ok I down loaded iso 12 this morning then loaded the waze app. it duly was recognised by the car and directed me to work perfectly, it recognised all the local speed cameras. It also gave me plenty of warning of traffic problems and ques. The voice on it is clear and seems to be Queens English.

By contrast the VW satnav whilst it can be dragged through to the digi display (waze, google and app maps currently cannot0 the voice is robotic at best, it gives traffic only id you reboot the personal date on the iPhone and it does not give speed camera locations.

As we all know we do not want the speed camera locations in order to avoid justice, no, no we need the locations because these cameras are located in places that are considered crash hot spots. So I am glad I can now predict the camera location once again and I would urge VW to update the voice on their sat nav together will adding in safety camera locations. Come on VW help keep us safe. :D