18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by Muldoon »

mike sel wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:46 am
Muldoon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 am Yes I agree, good to hear it's not just me with these impressions.

One or two other things I've noticed:

No glove box light - a shame as it must only cost pennies to fit one at the factory.

When it's dark finding the ignition key hole can be hit and miss - already the key surround is scratched. Didn't notice this on my previous Fiesta, it maybe had a small light nearby. I guess on the LHD versions you can see the key surround easily by the main courtesy light but of course on RHD it's in shadow.

No real power below 2000 rpm - just got to realise it's 999cc trying to pull a heavy Golf size hatchback from standstill. Can be frustrating in traffic and town driving but fine once you keep between 2,000 and 3,500 rpm in the torque zone. I have tried revving it to 4500 plus but it just sounds very coarse and maybe better changing up a gear and using the torque instead.

Headlights a bit poor - think they are basic halogen bulbs on S and SE - not even the 'projector' beams often in other cars. Seem quite dim and yellow but might get used to them.

Odd bit of steaming up when starting up first thing - only a fine bit from the blowers that covers the windscreen and disappears fast enough but odd.

Front tyre wear - quite heavy - at least 50% worn at 6500 miles so far, maybe it's the weight or torque of the engine encourages more wear?

Positives - very high quality interior, even the indicator and wiper stalks feel nice to use and the heater switches. Steering wheel very nice smooth leather and satisfying to use. Feels a far bigger and heavier car - not nippy or nimble if you like that style in a small hatchback, however once up to speed feels very solid and comfortable.
Thank you for the review Muldoon, it is really interesting to hear peoples views. have you noticed any engine oil use age? mines done about 7k now and I have added about 300ml of Oil just to bring it to the top end of the dipstick range. I did notice it was in the middle after about 2k miles and it has not moved since but I wonder if it used a little bit of oil below 2k miles. it could be Vw filled it to half way at factory, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else had notice any early use age.
Hi Mike, thanks, no I've only checked the oil once and cursed the black dipstick - why don't they fit a silver unpainted one so you can see the black oil against it! :roll: It seemed ok between the two low an high indicators - to be honest it's difficult unless you park on dead level ground and it's at operating temperature (according to the manual). Got some Castrol 0/20 synthetic stuff somewhere ready to top up. Mine is counting down to the first oil change already.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Check the oil....what is this nonsense.....?

(spot the ex Nissan leaf owner...)
yorkshirepud
New
Drives: Mk10 R Line 115

Post by yorkshirepud »

Hi folks
Agree with previous thread seems a bit mean not to put a light in the glove box. I have the 115bhp motor done just over 600miles with no problems so far. Previous car was a Skoda Fabia 110bhp and compared to the Fabia the polo seems very high geared especially in 1st/2nd. I could do a standing start in 2nd in the Fabia with no problems but in the Polo I have had to slightly adjust my style to set off in 1st. So far have had no problems with the wipers and checked the oil a few days ago- has not used any. Build quality is well above the Fabia and very comfortable even on 17" rims.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Wipers seems such an odd thing to complain about.
I see them as items to be binned almost as soon as you get the car.
Lowest bidder rubbish.
Spend £18 on some Bosch Aerotwins straight away.
Wouldn't even dream of consulting the dealer about getting replacements....
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

yorkshirepud wrote: Hi folks
Agree with previous thread seems a bit mean not to put a light in the glove box. I have the 115bhp motor done just over 600miles with no problems so far. Previous car was a Skoda Fabia 110bhp and compared to the Fabia the polo seems very high geared especially in 1st/2nd. I could do a standing start in 2nd in the Fabia with no problems but in the Polo I have had to slightly adjust my style to set off in 1st. So far have had no problems with the wipers and checked the oil a few days ago- has not used any. Build quality is well above the Fabia and very comfortable even on 17" rims.
The previous generation Polo didn’t have a glovebox light either, so the omission of one on the current model is just following what’s happened before.
Andy Beats wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm Wipers seems such an odd thing to complain about.
Lowest bidder rubbish.
I’d have also just bought a set of Bosch Aerotwins and not bothered going back to the dealer to fit another set of the same that were fitted in the factory. Quite a few Golf R owners over on VWROC have also replaced the OEM wiper blades with Bosch Aerotwins.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm Wipers seems such an odd thing to complain about.
Lowest bidder rubbish.
Wipers are relatively cheap to purchase, but why shouldn't we be bothered that the ones that came with the car are not fit for purpose? It comes down to how much you value your time and your fuel to chase an £18 saving remedial action.

My wipers smear on the top 1/5 of length on the downward stroke, I will be getting some Bosch Aerotwins as VW have been fitting crap Valeo wipers on my last 4 VWs and they've smeared or juddered from the off.

Contemplating swapping out my Bridgestone Turanzas for Michelin PS4 as they are noisy and lack traction (not as bad as Bridgestone Potenza that VW fitted to my last 2 Golfs). £101 each fitted at Costco with an £80 rebate, making them effectively £324 a set. Tiny inside wheel clearance with rear drivers side wheel arch lining - not sure if it'll take 5mm extra width (to go 225 instead of 215 width).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:47 pm
Wipers are relatively cheap to purchase, but why shouldn't we be bothered that the ones that came with the car are not fit for purpose? It comes down to how much you value your time and your fuel to chase an £18 saving remedial action.
I can't imagine how bored I'd have to be to take a trip across town for the sake of wipers.....blimey.... :lol:
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Muldoon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 am

Hi Mike, thanks, no I've only checked the oil once and cursed the black dipstick - why don't they fit a silver unpainted one so you can see the black oil against it! :roll: It seemed ok between the two low an high indicators - to be honest it's difficult unless you park on dead level ground and it's at operating temperature (according to the manual). Got some Castrol 0/20 synthetic stuff somewhere ready to top up. Mine is counting down to the first oil change already.
Ha I had not thought of that, why not a plain silver coloured steel dip stick?..I do struggle to see the oil level on the dark one in anything other that excellent light. Good point.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

If the dip stick is painted black just give the bottom 2" a good wire brush to remove the paint. It's in the oil, it won't go rusty. If powder coated that's a different thing.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I seem to think that it is black plastic, so no luck there, unfortunately it is the "thickness" that gives the clue to what the oil level is, has been this way for too many years with VW Group.

Edit:- unless I'm mixing my cars up!

Either way, check for where the "thickness" ends!
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:22 pm I seem to think that it is black plastic, so no luck there, unfortunately it is the "thickness" that gives the clue to what the oil level is, has been this way for too many years with VW Group.

Yea its just the level of the Oil is a little hard to see against the dark dipstick, there is a recess on the stick, its no biggie but would have just been nice were it a silver colour. I will have a look today to see what it made off, I thought it was steel.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

mike sel wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:49 am
RUM4MO wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:22 pm I seem to think that it is black plastic, so no luck there, unfortunately it is the "thickness" that gives the clue to what the oil level is, has been this way for too many years with VW Group.

Yea its just the level of the Oil is a little hard to see against the dark dipstick, there is a recess on the stick, its no biggie but would have just been nice were it a silver colour. I will have a look today to see what it made off, I thought it was steel.
Just checked my wife's 2015 1.2TSI 110PS engine dipstick and yes it is certainly steel!

Edit:- I seem to remember friends commenting on this issue when they bought their first SEAT Leon TDI and it I think had a blackened steel dip stick at that time so TDI quickly turning its oil blackish on a black dipstick did not impress them.

This 2015 Polo with the 1.2TSI engine's dipstick is the brown/tan side of silver, so not best contrast with used engine oil even in a petrol engine.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Plain silver would do fine. I will ask VW at the service if they have one I can buy. Separately, I have been listening out for break clunk, I thought the other day that I could hear a gentle clunk. but I have been trying to replicate since and nothing.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

What's the handbrake issue being mentioned please?
Noticed mine is a bit iffy.
On my slightly sloped drive, pulling it up to what feels like the maximum point leaves the brakes creaking and only a gentle push will get it moving.
You've to really pull it past what feels like the normal maximum.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »