18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

Phileep

I have not had the chance to hear the beats system. I will look it out. The Polo is a quiet car so I would imagine that the sound upgrade would be money well spent. :D
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 am I feel that VW has given Polo a really hard time, it started life as a tough value for money little car and by the end of the 6N days had taken on a bit of SEAT Ibiza quality or so, which is a reduction from original Polo build quality, then at the start of the 9N versions it was no more than a Skoda Fabia with a smarter set of clothes, all the running gear being Fabia and built in CZ factories supplying Skoda, from my experience that was the worse possible move as all metals used were of an inferior quality, this I discovered when I needed to take a 5 year old Polo to bits, shocked is a polite way to put it. Even now there are quite a lot of CZ manufactured parts used in the running gear and that will always in my mind taint Polo as it remains a Skoda in smarter clothes, not good, remember these engines are all build by a Skoda factory in CZ, stay lucky.
When I first bought a VW I was deliberately buying a car from a good car manufacturer - that car was a 2000 Passat 4Motion, but I quickly discovered that that car was good only because it was maybe 75% tried and tested Audi A4/A6 older model cast offs. Then in 2002 I bought my wife a 2002 Polo 9N 1.4 16V SE, its only initial problem was that it should never have been sold with that horrible engine in it as a new model in 2002, but I have to share that error as it was me that spec'd that car up, then once it got to 4 or 5 years old, I became aware that it was just a Skoda Fabia in drag and becoming a nasty wallet snatching little car at that. So now I've trusted that VW have upped their game with the 2015 6C Polo, it does seem okay at 3 years and 23K miles - but so did the 2002 Polo, I hope it stays that way for much longer!
I don't remember CZ, I assume they were not good? the new Polo is a fine car, I just drive it I suppose but it drives fine and feel quite, well screwed together and its stable, hold s the road well in dry and wet. so Im happy with it.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:16 am
iichel wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:23 pm well, I think the things you're reading here are maybe slightly biased, since people are more prone to complain than to praise a product (when working as expected). I'm pretty sure there are plenty of happy users but that's usually not the kind people that write on a forum, at least not from their own initiative.

Has something to do with human nature ;)
Eh? I joined the forum as a happy owner. I've had to take mine in to the garage three times in about 3 months. Wiper failure in torrential rain. A few minutes earlier I was on the M3, and a failure then would have been a certain crash due to zero visibility. I've had the key refuse to let me in, and I had to walk home for the spare. I've had the radio refuse to turn off several times. I've had the dashcam rebooting every few seconds. I've had CarPlay crashing every five minutes.

However, swapping the dashcam and iPhone USB connectors seems to have cured those problems (duff data connections on one port?). Anyway, it would be interesting to know how common problems are, and how reliable it is compared to others. Do I regret the purchase? Not yet, it's so nice to drive I can't dislike it. If I get no more big issues, fine. And what are the alternatives? The Fiesta is realistically the only one for me, but I won't touch Ford.
I know you have struggled with yours TBH its one of the reasons why I am surprised my car has had no problems and why I have asked if there I anyone else out there with a Polo 18 plate that works normally. I do feel your pain and am amazed at your patience. I do hope your Polo now pays you back with years of untroubled driving. I am concerned that the cars are so high tec, I do give some mind (not much) too how long the car will go without problems, but I am enjoying driving it so much that I am trusting it will be reliable.
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

I'm intrigued that there are many who seem to have problems with their new polos on here. I've had mine for about 5-6 weeks now, travelled about 1700 mi and thankfully no problems noted so far. I've checked the wipers and no juddering on them, no random reboots or crashes on the infotainment system and when on carplay. Would love to hear more what others think of their new polos
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

I love mine luckily Ive only had wiper issue but the GTi is fabulous to drive. Luv it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

mike sel wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm I don't remember CZ, I assume they were not good? the new Polo is a fine car, I just drive it I suppose but it drives fine and feel quite, well screwed together and its stable, hold s the road well in dry and wet. so Im happy with it.
CZ is a country, Prague Capital of the Czech Republic, Skoda is a CZ based company and VW use quite of lot of CZ Skoda manufactured/CZ sourced parts on Polos and I've always found that they are the area of concern and limit the Polos, all Polos since late 2001, ability to be what they could be over a maybe 6 to 8 year period.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:48 pm
mike sel wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm I don't remember CZ, I assume they were not good? the new Polo is a fine car, I just drive it I suppose but it drives fine and feel quite, well screwed together and its stable, hold s the road well in dry and wet. so Im happy with it.
CZ is a country, Prague Capital of the Czech Republic, Skoda is a CZ based company and VW use quite of lot of CZ Skoda manufactured/CZ sourced parts on Polos and I've always found that they are the area of concern and limit the Polos, all Polos since late 2001, ability to be what they could be over a maybe 6 to 8 year period.
well ... in CZ we actualy say that Seat is less reliable then skoda and we hardly even buy Seats. :-D
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Dark_cze wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:48 pm
well ... in CZ we actualy say that Seat is less reliable then skoda and we hardly even buy Seats. :-D
Interesting, I looked at a skoda fabia estate for my son a 2017 registered SE L 1.2 TSI I think he was put off by the manual gear change, he has found a couple of autos, I assume they use a version of the DSG gearbox?
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

john-k wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:33 pm I'm intrigued that there are many who seem to have problems with their new polos on here. I've had mine for about 5-6 weeks now, travelled about 1700 mi and thankfully no problems noted so far. I've checked the wipers and no juddering on them, no random reboots or crashes on the infotainment system and when on carplay. Would love to hear more what others think of their new polos
Yea I remember you waiting for your car. I am pleased you are enjoying yours too. I was getting concerned at the number of negative comments on here and just wanted to balance it out a bit for those waiting for their cars. Reading this blog it seems just a bit "doom and gloom" and I was hoping to shine a positive light.

Like you im enjoying my car, today is a big test for mine, a drive to Watford carrying 3 adults, from here that's 2 1/2 ours. Watch a Spurs at Wembley, then a drive up the M1 to Nottingham about 2 hours? Sunday pm, drive from Nottingham to south coast (normally a 3-4 hour trip and 225 miles) all in all this weekend in my POLO about 6-8 hours in the car and 500-600 miles. I will know a lot about the car and its reliability by the time I have done that. :D
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

mike sel wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:51 am Interesting, I looked at a skoda fabia estate for my son a 2017 registered SE L 1.2 TSI I think he was put off by the manual gear change, he has found a couple of autos, I assume they use a version of the DSG gearbox?
Yes it is DSG
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When you spend out good money for a new car, should you expect problems with it? Luckily with a new car you do have a 3 year warranty (VW).

"mike sel" if your son's looking around for a car with an auto box, don't let him get a ford with (powershift) look on the internet they don't have a good reputation for reliability, if it's a new car they will replace the gearbox once, after that it's up to the owner :( .
PoloandSL
New
Drives: 2018 Polo 1.0 DSG

Post by PoloandSL »

We bought a new 1.0 Polo DSG 115HP, in Spain jan 5th. Really pleased with it and we came back to UK with the cat end June to miss the heat & crowds. Always does over 50 mpg, sometimes more even on a autoroute run. The spec is slightly diferent, ACC, paddles, tints, 15 in wheels, spare wheel, nice black gloss dash but no beats(still quite good sound). We love the quiet cruising and sport mode up hills. Don't like no armrest, no grab handle, less than great A/C(works but not up to mercedes coldness I think its the new fluid they use). Added 1/2 litre oil in 10800 kms. No faults but the electric mirrors switch is pretty vague. Road tax there is 14 euros/year and insurance for any drive >25 is about 300 euros/year. Got extra 2 years dealer warranty for c. 200 euro.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

mike sel wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:51 am Interesting, I looked at a skoda fabia estate for my son a 2017 registered SE L 1.2 TSI I think he was put off by the manual gear change, he has found a couple of autos, I assume they use a version of the DSG gearbox?
Mikesel, Polo and Fabia and Ibiza are the same car in general, they all share the same running gear and some other parts, it is just that they are aimed at different people and their needs, Audi A1 is also the same in most ways, A2, I think, was the original concept for all these later cars and their versions, but A2 was a bit too clever and so cost too much to be built by the other marques within VW Group to serve in the sector that they were aimed at, and eventually for being an Audi.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Going back to "Dark_cze" post where he says that they find the Seat less reliable than the Skoda, that is quite understandable. With European countries, they are more patriotic in the ways that they purchase their motors, they purchase motors from their own countries. Go to France and see how many English motors you see driving around?
Now us, we'll drive around in anything. Though saying that, a lot of English manufacturers car prices are a bit out of reach
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:32 pm Going back to "Dark_cze" post where he says that they find the Seat less reliable than the Skoda, that is quite understandable. With European countries, they are more patriotic in the ways that they purchase their motors, they purchase motors from their own countries. Go to France and see how many English motors you see driving around?
Now us, we'll drive around in anything. Though saying that, a lot of English manufacturers car prices are a bit out of reach
I think you are right, even used skoda hold it's value a bit more then others. When i looked for my first car years ago (around 2000pounds) old used skoda was in worse condition and for same money as used vw and audis. I think it's mostly because of patriotism as you said. We are small country with own brand :) also a quietly like new superb 2.0 tfsi but price was way to high even on used :D