18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

Dan34 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:13 am My radar threw a wobbly yesterday a couple of times in drizzle conditions. First time its happened and I've driven the car in very heavy rain previously. Shouldn't really make a difference but wonder if its a combination of the darkness plus wet weather? Never happened on my old golf R that had the radar lower down.
I think it was the radar I had an amber triangle and a picture of a car showing the signal sign all n amber. I just took it off ACC until that went away, it was not all the time it was raining but it was during the heaviest rain. It is something I will point out to VW.

On another note any suggestions on a dash cam. TBH the frankly dangerous driving I encountered leads me to think I should have a dash cam to record some of the stuff that goes on.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 am All good Mike. Not sure why your ACC failed you in tbe rain, the radar is supposed to see through rain.

The Polo is just as comfy as my Golf R, the Bridgestond tyre roar is bad on mine for those concrete sections of motorway - that's a Bridgestone issue I have also see on various Golfs.
Yea the rain was pretty heavy and it was dark.

I don't have Bridgestones, what would you change too? I have some odd brand I have not heard of before. I think they are semi premium and they are ok as far as grip in the dry and wet goes, I am worried about cold winter weather. I am looking forward to changing them when I have had some wear.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm Sat Nav maps disappearing is not very handy, I think that it is Garmin that VW Group use and Garmin used to get a bad name for letting you down at critical points in a journey, that was for stand along Sat Nav kits, I think that my decision to buy TomTom as a stand along kit was based on that issue alone as I was new to Sat Nav so getting to live with either Garmin or TomTom would take a bit of adapting to.

As I have never opted for built in Sat Nav I still use my TomTom 6000, and in 3 or 4 years, it has only lost the plot (map tiles) twice, even so not handy when you have been relying on it, I think on both occasions it was at the point where things were becoming "interesting" so the scale/presentation style was being changed, which tended to be when Garmin messed up as well.
Interesting you say that about when things get busy on the sat nav, Just before it went off I had been given a "getaround" on a traffic jamb on the m25, I chose to stick with the motorway as It said I would save 5 mins. but when I carried on instead of turn off it flipped out and went off line. I suppose it was to much info. funny thing is I am not a tech guy. I know from the spec of my car it looks like I am, but for example the watch I wear a lot is an Omega Speedmaster (the one that went to the moon) its hand wind, so every day I am hand winding my watch, I don't use the dish washer unless I am stacked with washing up I prefer to hand wash the dishes etc etc. so I suppose a sat nav flipping out for a few mins is not really an issue. I did have the google maps to switch to, which I did and that saw me ok without any real loss of information.

Otherwise the car is brilliant. for an about town car it does long distance really well.
Haven't had the maps disappearing on me on their own in the built-in Satnav, but they did disappear on me when I was flitting display settings and got it back (eventually). I've only used the Nav 3 times, and didn't find it particularly intuitive to change to another route type once committed, or to go between display types, or to easily terminate Nav function halfway through a journey - while on the move. .

Is that the Omega that went to the studio to fake the moon landings and decided not to go self-wind as people would know there was gravity in the studio? :lol:

I looked at that one myself, but got a Speedmaster 57.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:20 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 am All good Mike. Not sure why your ACC failed you in tbe rain, the radar is supposed to see through rain.

The Polo is just as comfy as my Golf R, the Bridgestond tyre roar is bad on mine for those concrete sections of motorway - that's a Bridgestone issue I have also see on various Golfs.
Yea the rain was pretty heavy and it was dark.

I don't have Bridgestones, what would you change too? I have some odd brand I have not heard of before. I think they are semi premium and they are ok as far as grip in the dry and wet goes, I am worried about cold winter weather. I am looking forward to changing them when I have had some wear.
Michelins all the way if buying your own. On the GTI i'd be going PS4 to avoid tramping. All of the michelin range are grippy, quiet, flexible and last well. There are other great brands out there but i've always found Continentals wear quickly, Dunlops knack at the slightest pothole (had 3 get sidewall bulges on a new Scirocco over the first winter, but my tracking was fine) and Pirellis really fade below 4mm tread depth.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm
Dan34 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:13 am My radar threw a wobbly yesterday a couple of times in drizzle conditions. First time its happened and I've driven the car in very heavy rain previously. Shouldn't really make a difference but wonder if its a combination of the darkness plus wet weather? Never happened on my old golf R that had the radar lower down.
I think it was the radar I had an amber triangle and a picture of a car showing the signal sign all n amber. I just took it off ACC until that went away, it was not all the time it was raining but it was during the heaviest rain. It is something I will point out to VW.

On another note any suggestions on a dash cam. TBH the frankly dangerous driving I encountered leads me to think I should have a dash cam to record some of the stuff that goes on.
I opted for a high end front and back system. I originally got a Blackvue650 2 channel - looks great (it is tiny), but needs its own battery monitoring pack for parking monitoring. Due to its tiny form, it overheated in cool March weather a week into ownership. Got a replacement - did the same after 10 days, got my money back.

I now have Thinkware F770 with front and back cameras, both 1080p and so far neither the one in the Golf nor the one in the A1 then the Polo have let me down in 2.5 years of service each. It's one of the best and has battery management built in so it'll shut itself down at a certain threshold of car battery charge if using it in parking mode.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:31 pm
mike sel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm Sat Nav maps disappearing is not very handy, I think that it is Garmin that VW Group use and Garmin used to get a bad name for letting you down at critical points in a journey, that was for stand along Sat Nav kits, I think that my decision to buy TomTom as a stand along kit was based on that issue alone as I was new to Sat Nav so getting to live with either Garmin or TomTom would take a bit of adapting to.

As I have never opted for built in Sat Nav I still use my TomTom 6000, and in 3 or 4 years, it has only lost the plot (map tiles) twice, even so not handy when you have been relying on it, I think on both occasions it was at the point where things were becoming "interesting" so the scale/presentation style was being changed, which tended to be when Garmin messed up as well.
Interesting you say that about when things get busy on the sat nav, Just before it went off I had been given a "getaround" on a traffic jamb on the m25, I chose to stick with the motorway as It said I would save 5 mins. but when I carried on instead of turn off it flipped out and went off line. I suppose it was to much info. funny thing is I am not a tech guy. I know from the spec of my car it looks like I am, but for example the watch I wear a lot is an Omega Speedmaster (the one that went to the moon) its hand wind, so every day I am hand winding my watch, I don't use the dish washer unless I am stacked with washing up I prefer to hand wash the dishes etc etc. so I suppose a sat nav flipping out for a few mins is not really an issue. I did have the google maps to switch to, which I did and that saw me ok without any real loss of information.

Otherwise the car is brilliant. for an about town car it does long distance really well.
Haven't had the maps disappearing on me on their own in the built-in Satnav, but they did disappear on me when I was flitting display settings and got it back (eventually). I've only used the Nav 3 times, and didn't find it particularly intuitive to change to another route type once committed, or to go between display types, or to easily terminate Nav function halfway through a journey - while on the move. .

Is that the Omega that went to the studio to fake the moon landings and decided not to go self-wind as people would know there was gravity in the studio? :lol:

I looked at that one myself, but got a Speedmaster 57.
Ha, I have a seamaster 300 that I use swimming or going on holiday (hour hand will change without changing the minuet or seconds, its a good hack). I use the speedy pro as a daily wear. I looked at the 57 it is nice but too retro for me. Also I wanted the one currently used (maybe a sales stunt) but still defiantly used in space by the Russian`s photo Aug 2017.
untitled 1.png
outside the IST. its all good though one thing is for sure the conspiracy theory of NASA not actually going to the moon will be disproved or proved when we go back. The junk will be there waiting, including the toilet waste containing plenty of DNA (assuming they landed). I Believe the guys went, I get there are some photographic anomalies but there is far more evidence to confirm they went not least the moon rock that they brought back. We all believe what we do its all good. but it can be cleared up one day soon.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

My Polo regularly reports problems with the emergency braking system in heavy rain.

As regards the moon landings, the very idea that sane people are debating their authenticity is a shocking indictment of our age. Buzz Aldrin punched someone who said it was faked. I don’t blame him.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm My Polo regularly reports problems with the emergency braking system in heavy rain.

As regards the moon landings, the very idea that sane people are debating their authenticity is a shocking indictment of our age. Buzz Aldrin punched someone who said it was faked. I don’t blame him.
Yep they went, we have loads of moon rock distributed to all parts of the globe for experiments and testing, the Russians at the time would have sang from the tops of mountains if they had even the slightest evidence it was a fake. The took the Omega Speedy pro and Buzz walked on the moon wearing his. As did Dave Scott etc etc. Neil Armstrong did not wear his as it was being used to replace a broken Waltham clock in the lander. I could go on but this is a Polo forum so I wont. I salute those brave men and woman at NASA in the 60s & 70s, all of them.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

mike sel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 pm
Leif wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm My Polo regularly reports problems with the emergency braking system in heavy rain.

Yep they went, we have loads of moon rock distributed to all parts of the globe for experiments and testing, the Russians at the time would have sang from the tops of mountains if they had even the slightest evidence it was a fake. They took the Omega Speedy pro and Buzz walked on the moon wearing his. As did Dave Scott etc etc. Neil Armstrong did not wear his as it was being used to replace a broken Waltham clock in the lander. I could go on but this is a Polo forum so I wont. I salute those brave men and woman at NASA in the 60s & 70s, all of them.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Yep they went, we have loads of moon rock distributed to all parts of the globe for experiments and testing, the Russians at the time would have sang from the tops of mountains if they had even the slightest evidence it was a fake. The took the Omega Speedy pro and Buzz walked on the moon wearing his. As did Dave Scott etc etc. Neil Armstrong did not wear his as it was being used to replace a broken Waltham clock in the lander. I could go on but this is a Polo forum so I wont. I salute those brave men and woman at NASA in the 60s & 70s, all of them.
Yes, phenomenally brave, they wore pressure suits on a barren rock to protect themselves from a near vacuum, with zero hope of rescue had a malfunction occurred. There were so many things that could have gone wrong, it was incredibly dangerous and quite astonishing. The Soviet moon programme went nowhere. I saw the Soviet moon lander, which carried only one person, and never launched due to,repeated explosions of the Soviet moon rocket, killing countless people. I find the suggestion that the American lunar program was faked offensive. I’m probably way off topic ...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I was speaking in jest about the moon landings. I suppose most conspiracy theorists wonder why no-one has been there since - it should be a cinch with today's technology, right? The Yanks may still be paying for it now!

There were a few other era-defying feats in the 60s, like the SR-71 Blackbird and development of Concorde, so not a ridiculous stretch that they managed to get to the moon if no expense was spared. No-one's looking to spend that kind of money again in the current climate.

The wife had her first drive of the Polo, she's been living in fear of the unknown since I got it, having never driven an auto before. As the "you'll be able to order it in September" manual GTI has not materialised yet for the UK market (waiting for WLTP to be done?), she's prepared for another DSG to come. She was ok with it and thinks she'll come to prefer it with a bit of adjustment. Had to be sure before committing to ordering another DSG GTI+ to replace the R.

I'm unsure whether I would go manual if it is made available soon enough to alter the order. I've gotten quite used to the DSG, it has made me lazy, and some aspects of the DSG experience do mildly annoy.

Pros:

1. Easy/lazy driving - even though the facility is there to go manual if you want, because you know it can take care of itself in auto mode, it feels like hard work doing a 100% manual journey.

2. My R's manual box has been a dog after a string of excellent manual boxes mated to performance TDI engines - I would not want to suffer a box like that again. Apparently the standard Golf GTI/GTI PP doesn't have the same box as the R/CS/CSS, so chances are, the Polo GTI should have an ok gearbox. The gearbox always felt gravelly and maybe 1 time in 10, dropping from 6th to 3rd for a burst of hard acceleration, the box seemed like it would not want to accept 3rd, and to do so would be forcing it. I had to double declutch. Similarly, stopped at lights and sitting in neutral, the box did not seem like it wanted to accept 1st, maybe a few times a month, so it would be into 3rd then 1st before raising the clutch. VW dealership said it didn't happen often enough to replicate - short of leaving it with them for few weeks to burn through a tank of my fuel, they did not want to know and considered the gravelly shift feel a characteristic of this "strong" gearbox.

Cons:

1. it is slower to change than manual the way it can't short shift and how feathers the change in, even in Sport mode. It's self protecting I suppose, so I imagine that the launch control is brutal on the box, Because of that feathering, I often find that the car feels quicker pressing the throttle just enough to avoid a change down rather than stomping the throttle, having a change or 2, each of which are feathered in before it'll give you the power in each gear.

2. DSG is 10% thirstier like for like, so my everyday 36mpg without driving like a nun should become an everyday 40mpg.

3. The stop/start suits manual boxes far more than DSG, you have far more control over keeping the car from cutting out with a manual box.

4. It's £1450 more than the manual box.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

The wife had her first drive of the Polo, she's been living in fear of the unknown since I got it, having never driven an auto before. As the "you'll be able to order it in September" manual GTI has not materialised yet for the UK market (waiting for WLTP to be done?), she's prepared for another DSG to come. She was ok with it and thinks she'll come to prefer it with a bit of adjustment. Had to be sure before committing to ordering another DSG GTI+ to replace the R.

I'm unsure whether I would go manual if it is made available soon enough to alter the order. I've gotten quite used to the DSG, it has made me lazy, and some aspects of the DSG experience do mildly annoy.

Pros:

1. Easy/lazy driving - even though the facility is there to go manual if you want, because you know it can take care of itself in auto mode, it feels like hard work doing a 100% manual journey.

2. My R's manual box has been a dog after a string of excellent manual boxes mated to performance TDI engines - I would not want to suffer a box like that again. Apparently the standard Golf GTI/GTI PP doesn't have the same box as the R/CS/CSS, so chances are, the Polo GTI should have an ok gearbox. The gearbox always felt gravelly and maybe 1 time in 10, dropping from 6th to 3rd for a burst of hard acceleration, the box seemed like it would not want to accept 3rd, and to do so would be forcing it. I had to double declutch. Similarly, stopped at lights and sitting in neutral, the box did not seem like it wanted to accept 1st, maybe a few times a month, so it would be into 3rd then 1st before raising the clutch. VW dealership said it didn't happen often enough to replicate - short of leaving it with them for few weeks to burn through a tank of my fuel, they did not want to know and considered the gravelly shift feel a characteristic of this "strong" gearbox.

Cons:

1. it is slower to change than manual the way it can't short shift and how feathers the change in, even in Sport mode. It's self protecting I suppose, so I imagine that the launch control is brutal on the box, Because of that feathering, I often find that the car feels quicker pressing the throttle just enough to avoid a change down rather than stomping the throttle, having a change or 2, each of which are feathered in before it'll give you the power in each gear.

2. DSG is 10% thirstier like for like, so my everyday 36mpg without driving like a nun should become an everyday 40mpg.

3. The stop/start suits manual boxes far more than DSG, you have far more control over keeping the car from cutting out with a manual box.

4. It's £1450 more than the manual box.
[/quote]

Yes I would go along with these reasons for not having a DSG gearbox. although I hear the 6 speed manual (even though its the best of the two manual boxes by all accounts) has its own limitations and annoyances. the main one being the way it is geared is not in sync with normal driving so when everyone else is doing 30 in 3rd comfortably with the 6 speed box they are having to move between 3rd and 4th also 6th gear seems to be more like an old fashioned overdrive? can someone conform these points or are they just tosh.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 pm
Yes I would go along with these reasons for not having a DSG gearbox. although I hear the 6 speed manual (even though its the best of the two manual boxes by all accounts) has its own limitations and annoyances. the main one being the way it is geared is not in sync with normal driving so when everyone else is doing 30 in 3rd comfortably with the 6 speed box they are having to move between 3rd and 4th also 6th gear seems to be more like an old fashioned overdrive? can someone conform these points or are they just tosh.
I'm trying to talk myself out of the DSG if manual becomes an option when VW UK allow the dealership to place my order at the end of the month. Ratios vary across the car range - the manual R is geared very low. It sits at 3100rpm at 80mph in 6th, Golf GTD manual is around 2200rpm, Audi A1 1.6TDI 116ps manual is 2200rpm, Polo GTI DSG is 2400rpm, Golf GTI manual is about 2700rpm. The R is surprisingly economical around the doors in urban setting (given its output and 4WD at 30mph, where it is happy to sit in 5th, 40mph in 6th. Get above 60mph and the R's low gearing really hammers the economy.

The DSG Polo GTI is almost diesel-like in its gearing, maybe that's why it is relatively good at motorway speeds, and markedly less so at 30-40mph. I'd expect similar ratios with the manual box. The DSG's cogs seem to have 1st/2nd/3rd quite far apart and 4th/5th/6th pretty close together.

On The Golf forum, when the facelift R and the GTI PP got the 7 speed DSG, most agreed that the wet 7 speed box was a significant improvement over the 6 speed DSG (better spread of ratios), with economy really getting a boost at motorway speeds due to the tall 7th gear.

If VW put the wet 7 speed DSG into WLTP compliant MY19 Polo GTI, i'd potentially be less tempted to go manual.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Well the £1400/ £1500 manual saving over the DSG could be spent on the options list instead. :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:41 am Well the £1400/ £1500 manual saving over the DSG could be spent on the options list instead. :D
I'd rather save it than put it back in VW's pocket a different way. The GTI+ has all the spec I want, except Brescia wheels. The rear parking camera I have on the red one is just a novelty to me, no real advantage over the graphical display and audible feedback for distance. I wouldn't recommend spending the money over and above rear parking sensors.

I would pay for an electronic handbrake like the one on my Golf, given the option.