18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

It is very odd, I m in the area of +20% fuel economy over that of the cold snap at the start of Feb. It could be just the software readout rather than a real saving. I bet I still get around 420ish miles from the tank before I fill up. I am seeing readings in the 60s+ I was getting 50+ in reasonable weather in the autumn In the cold weather I was lucky to get late 40s

I did not check my tyre pressures in the 6 months I had the car before VW got it back for a month, while the car was in there VW UK remotely recoded the car apparently.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

ok from my experiencing a large uplift in economy of my polo I am now just on 1/2 tank and 260 miles. allowing for the first1/2 tank to be bigger than the second (I dont know why it just seems that way) I will be on for around 500 miles from a tank! that will be the most on a tank of driving around town that I have had from this car. Never got more than 430 from the tank and that was on a one long drive.

I am starting the think VW have remapped my car for fuel efficiency.

For info, its a SEL 115 DSG got it new in June and done 9k mikes now. I am happy with that. Not for the saving fuel but just that I don't have to go to the fuel station so often. I hate them so would have like and paid for a 60ltr fuel tank lol
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Any suggestions on how I can raise the level of the arm rest. On the golf there is a ratchet system that allows you to set the height of the arm rest pad. No so on this Polo. :?: Not sure how that's was ever thought to be useful.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

mike sel wrote:Any suggestions on how I can raise the level of the arm rest. On the golf there is a ratchet system that allows you to set the height of the arm rest pad. No so on this Polo. :?: Not sure how that's was ever thought to be useful.
Mine is the same, doesn't appear to be a ratcheting system ok then. Pretty annoying if you ask me, I'd prefer quite a bit higher to enable to me to still comfortably change gear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Adam_013 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:21 am
mike sel wrote:Any suggestions on how I can raise the level of the arm rest. On the golf there is a ratchet system that allows you to set the height of the arm rest pad. No so on this Polo. :?: Not sure how that's was ever thought to be useful.
Mine is the same, doesn't appear to be a ratcheting system ok then. Pretty annoying if you ask me, I'd prefer quite a bit higher to enable to me to still comfortably change gear.

Maybe VW should describe it as a front centre storage compartment with padded / upholstered lid rather than an armrest.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Agreed there. it is just that.

Not sure why its not adjustable, are the new ones ?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

mike sel wrote:Agreed there. it is just that.

Not sure why its not adjustable, are the new ones ?
I can say the one in a T-Roc is, and the MY19 polo is not.

mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Is it even possible to upgrade the polo armrest to be adjustable.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Just carried out a fix to my arm rest. As I am the only driver I wen to a craft shop and brought a 1cm thick small section of dark grey neoprene and cut it to very small 2cm sq bits and glued then either side of the underside of the arm rest. it raises the arm rest by just enough to make it comfortable. :D
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

4 adults in my Polo for the first time. it was only for 45 mins. Im 6 foot the guy behind was 5-10. then 3 5-4 woman. TBH it felt a bit cramped.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

update

just gone over the 10k mark and all is running well. No system faults, long term average is reading exactly 50MPG after the semi winter here. I reset it after the summer so I think 50MPG winter driving is fine in a petrol car.

I will reset now its spring to get a reading at the end of summer. :D
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

mike sel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 pm 4 adults in my Polo for the first time. it was only for 45 mins. Im 6 foot the guy behind was 5-10. then 3 5-4 woman. TBH it felt a bit cramped.
My calculations makes that 5 adults?

Driver = 6.0 ft
guy behind = 5.10 ft
1 woman = 5.4 ft
1 woman = 5.4 ft
1 woman = 5.4 ft
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Well don you right you picked up a typo. Top Marks.

Two weeks ago car to Heathrow, parked in a field I expect, collected today started first time no worries.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:57 pm Today I got suspiciously high mpg, especially coming home. I can’t believe a firmware fix changed the mpg, so either there is low air pressure or they changed the mpg computer algorithm.
what you getting currently?
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

ok just got to 12k miles from new. my SEL is coming up to 1 year old on June 1st.

How it the look of the car holding up?

external colour std grey, looking good no stone chips to notice at this point. I did instruct the dealer not to even remove the plastic protection and allow my detailer to use the facilities at my dealership to detail my car. he also put on a resin protection. I am assuming this process had helped.

inside, yesterday I vacuumed it out and it looks OK I wiped down all the plastics and polished the glass & wiped screens. the interior has held up well, nothing broken everything works I have no noticeable knocks clicks or rattles.

safety. All the lights still work no bulbs blown or changed. tyres seem to be wearing ok I may change the fronts at the end of the summer. NO other issues.

general, I have now got well used to the DSG and the 115 BHP engine. and I have had no issues with either, I m getting average just over 50MPG from new. I am just about to reset the computer to zero so I can see how I get on with a run in car and summer driving. I have not needed to put too much oil in the car I have still some of the 1l bottle I got when I picked up the car.

MY view? really happy with my purchase so far. I will put on a report once the car is actually a year old.