18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 pm
mike sel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am

Others have experienced the ‘clunk’ when reversing and then braking; see discussion thread at the link below;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71595&p=537323

I initially had it with my previous generation Polo GTI. Likely cause is a small movement of the front brake pads in the brake callipers. My car doesn’t do it any more.
Is it a heavy clunk or just a light one? im trying to work out if I should be noticing this too. I have rear disks does that make a difference?
From memory, not excessively loud, but noticeable. Pretty certain it was from the front pads and calipers, not the rears. Owners of current model Polos with drum rear brakes have experienced it, which if it is an issue with movement of the brake pads in the calipers, then it’ll be the front brakes.
Ok I reversed mine onto the drive and listened hard. I did hear a slight clunk, it was not loud but it was there. I tried it again and sure enough you guys are right. I had not noticed it before. Its not loud or anything. I does remind me of the ex demo Passat I had in 2005, it was a heavy clunk then and mainly when I pulled off after the auto breaks had kicked in, I did get rid of that car after only 6 months and it was partly because that clunk every time the traffic started moving again used to annoy my wife.

Back to my Polo, I will bring this up at the first service, ive just turned 7300 miles so its due in the next couple of months.
Last edited by mike sel on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I've had mine a week and 355 miles.
Only 'problem' is that the front assist is a pain in the ass, I wish I could switch it off for good.
I also get the loud brake clunk when reversing, but I don't class that as a problem.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Muldoon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 pm It takes a bit to get going from standstill, judging how much to press the accelerator with the 3 cylinder engine but once going it's far smoother and so quiet on the motorway. I do find the gearing very long - you can cruise in 4th on the motorway and 5th is a real overdrive gear. In my mind it's set up as a motorway cruiser for long distances, around town it's less nimble and a bit bulky.
Funny you should mention this, I've noticed it's quite a difficult car to pull away in as well.
The engine is hard to feel or hear, I find myself taking longer to fully release the clutch than I would in another car as I get the feeling the car will stall if I release it faster.
I hope I'm not burning the clutch out doing this. :oops:
As you've noticed, the problematic pulling away is probably a by-product of the very tall gearing and an engine with little torque.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Yes the gears are very long. 5th gear at 70 mph is 1k rpm lower than a 2.0 Hyundai coupe.

Coming from a 1.4TDi 9n3 which had been mapped and shorter gears i find that it makes progress much slower because of the longer gears. In return though it's very much a motorway happy car.
Andy Beats wrote:
Muldoon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 pm It takes a bit to get going from standstill, judging how much to press the accelerator with the 3 cylinder engine but once going it's far smoother and so quiet on the motorway. I do find the gearing very long - you can cruise in 4th on the motorway and 5th is a real overdrive gear. In my mind it's set up as a motorway cruiser for long distances, around town it's less nimble and a bit bulky.
Funny you should mention this, I've noticed it's quite a difficult car to pull away in as well.
The engine is hard to feel or hear, I find myself taking longer to fully release the clutch than I would in another car as I get the feeling the car will stall if I release it faster.
I hope I'm not burning the clutch out doing this. :oops:
As you've noticed, the problematic pulling away is probably a by-product of the very tall gearing and an engine with little torque.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Yes I agree, good to hear it's not just me with these impressions.

One or two other things I've noticed:

No glove box light - a shame as it must only cost pennies to fit one at the factory.

When it's dark finding the ignition key hole can be hit and miss - already the key surround is scratched. Didn't notice this on my previous Fiesta, it maybe had a small light nearby. I guess on the LHD versions you can see the key surround easily by the main courtesy light but of course on RHD it's in shadow.

No real power below 2000 rpm - just got to realise it's 999cc trying to pull a heavy Golf size hatchback from standstill. Can be frustrating in traffic and town driving but fine once you keep between 2,000 and 3,500 rpm in the torque zone. I have tried revving it to 4500 plus but it just sounds very coarse and maybe better changing up a gear and using the torque instead.

Headlights a bit poor - think they are basic halogen bulbs on S and SE - not even the 'projector' beams often in other cars. Seem quite dim and yellow but might get used to them.

Odd bit of steaming up when starting up first thing - only a fine bit from the blowers that covers the windscreen and disappears fast enough but odd.

Front tyre wear - quite heavy - at least 50% worn at 6500 miles so far, maybe it's the weight or torque of the engine encourages more wear?

Positives - very high quality interior, even the indicator and wiper stalks feel nice to use and the heater switches. Steering wheel very nice smooth leather and satisfying to use. Feels a far bigger and heavier car - not nippy or nimble if you like that style in a small hatchback, however once up to speed feels very solid and comfortable.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

I have the exact same issues! The lights are really not very good at all. And I have the steamy issue but it's on the outside! Like a film which takes an age to get rid of. This was the case on both mk10s I've had. Also suffer with wiper judder too..

I feel the build quality isn't too great thought, a few parts don't quite fit in mine - however I still need to go back to the dealer to get it sorted.

Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Hi Adam

I've not had any problems with film or mist on the outside, maybe it's a coating or similar causing issues? My wipers have been ok so far - just hoping it stays that way.

I agree it's perhaps signs of penny pinching and a few small parts of lower quality. I tried the jack the other day - bit fiddly to extract it and it's one of those spindly handles they always seem to make the car jack as cheap as possible! I'm not complaining, past cars had the foam kit so it's an improvement.

Forgot to add the front brake caliper clunk is also a regular feature but I can live with that - used to happen to a few of my previous cars and likely to be a tiny bit of free play in the pads - they might re design the calipers on later cars.

Suppose you have to be realistic with these 3 cylinder 1.0 turbo engines - you can't have everything, the torque and power from low speed only comes with double the capacity! It's a decent effort though to combine small capacity with some useful power and economy if you are careful. Just needs an adjustment of driving style.

One last thing - I noticed the 'Voice' option on the media unit isn't activated - can't make any calls by voice command. Bit annoying, I think you have to return to the dealer and cough up some cash for them to activate it :roll:
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Perhaps it is some coating, annoying none the less... A have the clunk too, only when it's been sat and going backwards.

You should be grateful you have a spare! I don't [emoji107]. Normal scissor jack though, and for how often it's used it's not worth spending lots on it.

In all fairness I actually find it copes better sub 2k rpm than my previous TDi (also a 3 pot). Just mainly the gearing, but hey! Can't have everything.

If you use android auto / apple carplay you can long press the voice button to activate Google assistant or Siri.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Can i just clarify please?
Apple carplay needs the phone to be physically attached by a cable?
What benefits does Apple car play offer over connecting by the normal bluetooth?
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 pm Can i just clarify please?
What benefits does Apple car play offer over connecting by the normal bluetooth?
Yes it needs cable connection. It allows apps like Google Maps, Waze, Spotify etc to be displayed on the in car head unit.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Yes needs to be plugged in.. allows you to stream music with better quality and as said above, allows Apple maps / Google maps to be displayed on the screen if you don't be Satnav
Andy Beats wrote:Can i just clarify please?

mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 pm Can i just clarify please?
Connecting the car to your phone by cable works brilliantly, it offers so much more, for example you don't have to spend £600 on the sat nav because you can use google maps from your phone (a set of apps appears on the main car screen) To be honest the VW sat nav came with my Polo and SEL and I prefer Google maps. you can also play your music library stored in your phone.

O yes you can also use it as a hands free phone LOL. Don't forget plugged in to the car will charge too.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Muldoon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 am Yes I agree, good to hear it's not just me with these impressions.

No glove box light - a shame as it must only cost pennies to fit one at the factory.

When it's dark finding the ignition key hole can be hit and miss - already the key surround is scratched. Didn't notice this on my previous Fiesta, it maybe had a small light nearby. I guess on the LHD versions you can see the key surround easily by the main courtesy light but of course on RHD it's in shadow.

No real power below 2000 rpm - just got to realise it's 999cc trying to pull a heavy Golf size hatchback from standstill. Can be frustrating in traffic and town driving but fine once you keep between 2,000 and 3,500 rpm in the torque zone. I have tried revving it to 4500 plus but it just sounds very coarse and maybe better changing up a gear and using the torque instead.

Headlights a bit poor - think they are basic halogen bulbs on S and SE - not even the 'projector' beams often in other cars. Seem quite dim and yellow but might get used to them.

Odd bit of steaming up when starting up first thing - only a fine bit from the blowers that covers the windscreen and disappears fast enough but odd.

Front tyre wear - quite heavy - at least 50% worn at 6500 miles so far, maybe it's the weight or torque of the engine encourages more wear?

Positives - very high quality interior, even the indicator and wiper stalks feel nice to use and the heater switches. Steering wheel very nice smooth leather and satisfying to use. Feels a far bigger and heavier car - not nippy or nimble if you like that style in a small hatchback, however once up to speed feels very solid and comfortable.
Thank you for the review Muldoon, it is really interesting to hear peoples views. have you noticed any engine oil use age? mines done about 7k now and I have added about 300ml of Oil just to bring it to the top end of the dipstick range. I did notice it was in the middle after about 2k miles and it has not moved since but I wonder if it used a little bit of oil below 2k miles. it could be Vw filled it to half way at factory, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else had notice any early use age.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:46 am Thank you for the review Muldoon, it is really interesting to hear peoples views. have you noticed any engine oil use age? mines done about 7k now and I have added about 300ml of Oil just to bring it to the top end of the dipstick range. I did notice it was in the middle after about 2k miles and it has not moved since but I wonder if it used a little bit of oil below 2k miles. it could be Vw filled it to half way at factory, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else had notice any early use age.
The oil level in my previous generation Polo was below the maximum when I took delivery, so maybe it’s standard practice not to fill to the maximum.

The cost savings to VW would be significant, if they save 300/400 ml of oil per car.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

I'd put it down to the dealer PDi. My first mk10 had below minimum coolant. Current one had everything on max.
mike sel wrote:
Muldoon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 am Yes I agree, good to hear it's not just me with these impressions.

Thank you for the review Muldoon, it is really interesting to hear peoples views. have you noticed any engine oil use age? mines done about 7k now and I have added about 300ml of Oil just to bring it to the top end of the dipstick range. I did notice it was in the middle after about 2k miles and it has not moved since but I wonder if it used a little bit of oil below 2k miles. it could be Vw filled it to half way at factory, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else had notice any early use age.