18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 pm I think also Andy has a rose tinted glasses view of immigration. Just an example of the worst side of it that clearly Andy has not encountered.
I think he lives in rose tinted glasses land, where immigrants are all really smashing people. "Oh Darling, they are so vibrant and interesting, so ethnic". He thinks this country can absorb millions of people with ease, and the only problem is the nastiness of us Brits who do not welcome them with open arms, because they will create a really fantastic dynamic loving society. It's a very simplistic and naive view IMO.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 pm Frankly I think you are a nasty piece of work.
It's Mr.Remainer-nasty-piece-of-work to you.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Anyone got any good ideas on cleaning the windscreen? Obviously I have had several attempts. I was wondering if there was a product out there that actually works. I used to use old black n white news papers years ago but since the printing techniques changed they are useless now. For me I just like a nice smear free clean inside and out windscreen.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

mike sel wrote:Anyone got any good ideas on cleaning the windscreen? Obviously I have had several attempts. I was wondering if there was a product out there that actually works. I used to use old black n white news papers years ago but since the printing techniques changed they are useless now. For me I just like a nice smear free clean inside and out windscreen.
I found using AutoGlym glass polish works for cleaning. It dries to sort of a powder which you can then buff off and it doesn't leave streaks.

Seems we share a hatred of cleaning windscreens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:30 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 pm Frankly I think you are a nasty piece of work.
It's Mr.Remainer-nasty-piece-of-work to you.
Master Beats will do just fine. It’s kind of appropriate for some reason.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:36 am Anyone got any good ideas on cleaning the windscreen? Obviously I have had several attempts. I was wondering if there was a product out there that actually works. I used to use old black n white news papers years ago but since the printing techniques changed they are useless now. For me I just like a nice smear free clean inside and out windscreen.
I too get smears on the inside, due to wiping away condensation. You can get sprays that prevent glasses and visors from fogging, they contain hydrophobic substances. A smear of squeazy wiped off is as good, maybe diluted squeazy wiped on then off would do? There are commercial products available, I’ve not tried any.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Something has happened to my fuel economy after getting my car back from VW a few weeks ago.

I have been getting over 60MPG yesterday it was about 10 degrees and dry. I drove about 16 miles across town and back (survey to carry out) and I was getting around the Mid 60s MPG by the time I got back. I just don't get it. my car has done over 9k miles now so its not a miles from new thing. I am wondering IF could have VW remapped it for economy without telling me? or is it that they inflated the tyres to the correct value? of could it be the service they carried out. I suppose it could be because my car was disconnected from the battery for a good couple of weeks the computer has not been properly calibrated (it seems to be working fine) .

I just not sure of the reason but it looks like the fuel econ has improved about 10%.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Or it could be the unseasonably warm weather, gong from a few degrees Celsius a few weeks ago up to 12C.

Were your tyres not inflated to the correct value previously?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

It does seem a very temperature sensitive car, my MPG is varying wildly each day just now.
Best was when it was unseasonably high (around 13-15C).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've never known petrol engines to be so sensitive to temp as these ones in the Polo. I've only seen 10% mpg swings due to the weather in diesels.

Maybe it's because these petrol engines are now becoming more like diesel engines in the way they operate, with very high effective compression ratios with the use of Audi valve-lift tech on the inlet end of the GTI engine and other innovations.

I only expected a swing of 3-5% for a petrol engine, dependent on weather.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 am I've never known petrol engines to be so sensitive to temp as these ones in the Polo. I've only seen 10% mpg swings due to the weather in diesels.

Maybe it's because these petrol engines are now becoming more like diesel engines in the way they operate, with very high effective compression ratios with the use of Audi valve-lift tech on the inlet end of the GTI engine and other innovations.

I only expected a swing of 3-5% for a petrol engine, dependent on weather.
Yup, they are becoming like diesels in terms of the time they take to heat up.
Not sure it's compression as much as lean fuel/air ratios.
Lean fuel/air means longer warm up (simply less flame in the chamber)
My petrol Polo takes miles to warm up in the winter, whereas petrols we've had before have often reached operating temp by the end of the village.
Maybe taping up of the rad would work in cold weather, like you do on motorbikes, but I'm not going to bother.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I was getting poorer economy when the temperature was down to around 0 Celcius a week or two ago, maybe 5-10% less. It's a bit warmer now and my mpg is back up to 60+ mpg. The last refuel was 59.8 mpg. I think the longer days are helping as headlights reduce the mpg. My engine takes a few miles to warm up though the digital and analogue oil temperature gauges disagree massively until I've done ~10 miles. I had my car serviced a few weeks ago and I am currently getting quite good economy, but I don't think there is a connection though I could be wrong. As I am keeping records, I will know over the next few months when I can compare to last year.

My car loves to cruise at 40-50 mph, but going up to 60 mph does hit the economy noticeably but I rarely exceed 50 mph as I prefer B roads. I'd rather have nice scenery and a relaxed drive than a motorway with crashes, hold ups, congestion, dull scenery etc.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Today I got suspiciously high mpg, especially coming home. I can’t believe a firmware fix changed the mpg, so either there is low air pressure or they changed the mpg computer algorithm.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:57 pm Today I got suspiciously high mpg, especially coming home. I can’t believe a firmware fix changed the mpg, so either there is low air pressure or they changed the mpg computer algorithm.
You won't know for sure until you fill it.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:57 pm Today I got suspiciously high mpg, especially coming home. I can’t believe a firmware fix changed the mpg, so either there is low air pressure or they changed the mpg computer algorithm.
You won't know for sure until you fill it.
There are so many variables: air temperature, rain, traffic come to mind. So hard to be sure.