18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

ok booked service for 25th as I say its the second service. I should be between 19000 and 19700 miles.

Cars been warning me of a late service for a couple of weeks now.

I changed all 4 tyres to Michelin Cross climates + about 2 weeks ago. The cabin noise is discernibly lower now.

I also did a 53 mile motorway run yesterday. I pissed off a load of people who tried to drive in my back seat rather than going around. Exclusively artic and van drivers. doing 56MPH for the whole journey (in the inside lane obviously). I got a recorded 73MPG overall the trip. On the way back later in the day I got 69MPG doing the same.

In case you don't know I have an 18 plate Polo SEL DSG 1.0 116hp with loads of options (well all of them except sunroof).

I set the car up in eco turned off the climate control and set Auto cruise control as soon as I got to 56MPH. There was just me in the car. I set off at 6.30 am it was 11.5 degrees c and light rain.

in case anyone is interested I have covered about 18.5k miles in this car in the 14 months I have owned it, I have never has a mechanical or electrical issue with it. I did have some water ingress through the left hand bottom corner of the windshield this time last year but that was resolved by VW under warrantee. other than that I have had no problems at all. I have used it every day for my commute to work and once a month on a 400 mile round trip. I find this car comfortable, quiet, economic and with the options I have very easy to drive. I am pleased I opted for the VW polo instead of the Peugeot 2008 I was looking at the time.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm so glad I don't have you on my commute - being stuck behind someone doing 56mph on a 70mph road would annoy me too if I was an artic driver without the means to confidently overtake.

Not sure why someone would spend so much dead money on options and then look to save pennies on every journey's fuel usage by switching all those comfort items off and take 20% more time than they need to in getting where they're going.

Your service intervals are being called early due to the interval being calculated as 15000km, not 10000 miles.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

whooo, someone jealous...settle down son, settle down. It is a free world and as long as one abides by the laws of the land all is good. :D
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When the legal speed limit is 70 MPH, it doesn't mean you have to do 70 MPH, if you wish to 56 MPH on a dual carriage way it's up to you.
Not every one wants a 200 BHP motor then wants to knock that up to 230 BHP. With even 200 bhp you have enough power to over take doing 56 MPH safely. Your not driving an artic, what is the maximum for an artic on dual carriage way? I'm not bothering to look it up on the internet, I'm not that interested, but neither are you driving an artic, so why worry about artic drivers?
Then again you do keep quoting how many MPG you get doing 80 MPH. It's lucky for you that you don't have average speed camera's in your area.
The government are putting more average speed camera's on more roads, and any more than an extra 2 MPH in any speed limit they will send you a speeding ticket, they are knocking on the head with that 10% extra.
You may be safe in the far reaches of Scotland, but be vary careful when traveling south of the boarder.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

While people might be abiding by the law doing 56mph in a 70mph, they do become a hazardous obstacle that other motorists must avoid. Drivers may not correctly assess a much slower vehicles speed in time resulting in abrupt braking or evasive overtaking. This can be particularly hazardous for large vehicles such as HGV’s that need a good deal of time to prepare in a change of speed or direction.

Doing under the speed limit on a dual carriageway or the motorway is not so bad as long as people going the speed limit can overtake. However, I can see certain situations where you could cause frustration with other motorists when a lorry decides to overtake you and then blocks up the overtaking lane for a few minutes while it slowly creeps past, causing what was free-flowing traffic to now back up behind and become a more hazardous situation.

I think its also worth pointing out that while it isn't illegal to drive slower than the speed limit, you can still be fined if it is seen that you are a hazard to other road users. There is no specific penalty for driving too slowly and as such, penalties may be as little as a verbal warning by a police officer along with a lecture of the dangers of driving too slow and in more serious cases, a motorist may find themselves in court charged with driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users.

Quite simply, if weather, road and traffic conditions allow, drive at whatever the speed limit is on that particular road.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's borderline antisocial driving. I'm sure some will think that some doddery old Mr Magoo type has accidentally joined the motorway after taking a wrong turn from the corner shop. In good conditions on uncongested roads, people should be aiming to do close to the speed limit applicable for their vehicle.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

As long as you keep your attention 100% on a motorway a car doing 56MPH is no more dangerous or hazardous than an HGV doing 56MPH. As I've said before "just because your allowed to do 70MPH on a motorway, doesn't mean you have to do 70MPH.
The only borderline antisocial driving are the ****** idiots doing 80MPH right up your rear bumper trying to force you over so they can go on their merry inconsiderate way.
As for doing close to the speed limit applicable for their car, is a stupid statement. So a guy with a Bugatti Veyron should be allowed to do 150MPH on the motorway?
As for HGV's blocking up the outside lane for a few miles I know is frustrating, but they are allowed on the outside lane on a dual carriage way to over take, whether it frustrates you or not, if it's a 3 lane, well you do have more of a chance for an overtake. If it makes you late for an appointment, you should have given yourself more time, not gestimate "well if I can do 80+MPH it will only take me 35 minutes" your not only putting yourself in danger BUT other road users, and to cause any persons death through your own reckless driving, you should do at least 25 years inside. If you cannot judge how fast your gaining on the car in front causing you to really brake hard, your not fit to drive on motorways, do either of you hold an IAM certificate, if you do, you should both have them withdrawn with the statements you have printed.
And to be honest, I would expect an HGV or PSV driver has more road sense than most boy racers, no matter what age?
The way more traffic is clambering to use the roads, a 200+ BHP car is becoming out dated. For example, one of you in a 200+ BHP motor through London during day light hours, against a 50cc moped, would put your 200+BHP to shame.
One day, all the motorways will be the same as the centre of London. If you think not, you should just see how many, just VW group cars are imported to Grimsby alone.
Look on Google maps on Grimsby Docks and see how many are just waiting to be delivered to VW, Seat, and Skoda garages, just pull out a bit and see how much land there is available, there's cars stocked up every where.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm As long as you keep your attention 100% on a motorway a car doing 56MPH is no more dangerous or hazardous than an HGV doing 56MPH.
I disagree, you expect an HGV to be doing 56 because it is what makes sense when driving such a heavy load as thats the safe thing to do, you don't expect a car doing that speed. HGVs are enough of a hazard on the road, don't need to add to more hazards by cars going much slower than the speed limit causing HGVs to overtake more than they need to.
silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm As I've said before "just because your allowed to do 70MPH on a motorway, doesn't mean you have to do 70MPH.
I agree with that but if the conditions and your car allows you should drive at the speed limit for a number of reasons already discussed. I agree with monkey hanger that deliberately driving much slower than the speed limit is borderline antisocial and doing so does nothing to anger other road users (not all). And we all know an angry driver is a dangerous driver. So knowing that why would you deliberately do something to anger other road users?
silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm The only borderline antisocial driving are the ****** idiots doing 80MPH right up your rear bumper trying to force you over so they can go on their merry inconsiderate way.
Yes, people doing over the speed limit are another issue of themselves but that doesn't prove that doing way under the speed limit is any less antisocial.
silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm As for doing close to the speed limit applicable for their car, is a stupid statement. So a guy with a Bugatti Veyron should be allowed to do 150MPH on the motorway?
I think you knew full well what monkey hanger meant and you are intentionally misconstruing the point he was making so you could make your counter-argument. No one is saying a car should do 150MPH because it can, merely that if it can do the speed limit and it is safe to do so, it should.
silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm As for HGV's blocking up the outside lane for a few miles I know is frustrating, but they are allowed on the outside lane on a dual carriage way to over take, whether it frustrates you or not, if it's a 3 lane, well you do have more of a chance for an overtake.
Not denying that they are not allowed there. It wouldn't frustrate me unless the lorry had to needlessly overtake a car because it was way under the speed limit when it had no reason to be.
silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm If it makes you late for an appointment, you should have given yourself more time, not gestimate "well if I can do 80+MPH it will only take me 35 minutes" your not only putting yourself in danger BUT other road users, and to cause any persons death through your own reckless driving, you should do at least 25 years inside. If you cannot judge how fast your gaining on the car in front causing you to really brake hard, your not fit to drive on motorways, do either of you hold an IAM certificate, if you do, you should both have them withdrawn with the statements you have printed.
Not sure why you have turned this into a personal matter... But hey, you do you and draw your own opinions, no skin off of my nose. Just to be clear my points were meant at the general population not meant to be aimed at any one persons driving, hoping to debate the matter at hand, instead, it seems to have descended to personal matters. oh well.
silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 pm The way more traffic is clambering to use the roads, a 200+ BHP car is becoming out dated. For example, one of you in a 200+ BHP motor through London during day light hours, against a 50cc moped, would put your 200+BHP to shame.
One day, all the motorways will be the same as the centre of London. If you think not, you should just see how many, just VW group cars are imported to Grimsby alone.
Look on Google maps on Grimsby Docks and see how many are just waiting to be delivered to VW, Seat, and Skoda garages, just pull out a bit and see how much land there is available, there's cars stocked up every where.
Yeah, not sure what any of this has got to do with driving at the speed limit. I've seen you rant about this a few times on this forum, it must really bother you?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Speed limit applicable for vehicle was aimed at highlighting the various speed limits applicable to different classes of vehicle e.g. an Artic should be doing 60 on a national speed limit dual carriageway or motorway that a car would do 70 on etc. We're feeding the troll again.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Thank you for dissecting my post, at least you did read it, but the one question I did ask and both of you, declined to answer "are you members of the Institute Of Advanced Drivers"? As neither of you replied to this particular question, I presume the answer would be a resounding NO.

This will be my last post on this subject.