18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 pm Read these posts

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71671
Weird that people complain about the handbrake on hill starts.
Why would you use the handbrake on hill starts when it has hill-hold....?
It's a parking brake, it shouldn't be used during driving when you have hill-hold.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

One thing that's bugging me in my Polo is the driver's mat moving.
There's about half an inch of forward and back movement, which is noticeable when driving.
God knows what I can do about it, putting anything 'sticky' under the mat isn't ideal.
The securing tabs that screw into the carpet just wobble around, that's the issue (can't be tightened, I've checked).
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm One thing that's bugging me in my Polo is the driver's mat moving.
There's about half an inch of forward and back movement, which is noticeable when driving.
God knows what I can do about it, putting anything 'sticky' under the mat isn't ideal.
The securing tabs that screw into the carpet just wobble around, that's the issue (can't be tightened, I've checked).
You could get some rubber mats - They are better at holding debris and heavier/offer more friction against the carpet they are sat in. They are easy to wash/Hoover and don't get raggy in 6 months like the carpet ones do.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:29 pm You could get some rubber mats - They are better at holding debris and heavier/offer more friction against the carpet they are sat in. They are easy to wash/Hoover and don't get raggy in 6 months like the carpet ones do.
Thanks, but I really don't like rubber mats at all.
I'm not even that impressed with the VW ones, I may buy more luxurious carpet ones.
My Mini had the option of 'luxury mates', which were very expensive but totally worth it.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

However, it should stop the vehicle.. what if you was parked ...
Andy Beats wrote:
silverhairs wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 pm Read these posts

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71671
Weird that people complain about the handbrake on hill starts.
Why would you use the handbrake on hill starts when it has hill-hold....?
It's a parking brake, it shouldn't be used during driving when you have hill-hold.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:58 pm However, it should stop the vehicle.. what if you was parked
True.
I was more thinking the type of gradient you'd need to do a hill start on is unlikely to be the same sort of gradient you'd park on.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Very true, but then again - I've adjusted mine so hill-hold kicks in on a 3% incline.. just because it make my life easier [emoji23]
Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:58 pm However, it should stop the vehicle.. what if you was parked
True.
I was more thinking the type of gradient you'd need to do a hill start on is unlikely to be the same sort of gradient you'd park on.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:47 pm Yes needs to be plugged in.. allows you to stream music with better quality and as said above, allows Apple maps / Google maps to be displayed on the screen if you don't be Satnav
Andy Beats wrote:Can i just clarify please?
Do you think Apple car play is better quality than bluetooth?
I've only been using it a couple of days and I'm loving being able to ask 'Siri' to send texts and read them out etc.
But I'd say the music playback was worse than bluetooth, it's 'muddier' (for want of a better word).
What do you mean by 'better' please?
Here's a link to an Apple thread where other car owners, VW included, also notice playback is better via bluetooth than carplay.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7635339

While we're on the subject, is there any way to make the artwork come to the forefront of the display on carplay?
You can see it as a blurred image behind the track display, that seems a shame.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Unsure of apple carplay, since I'm Android (can't imagine much difference). But I've found on a few songs that using Bluetooth higher pitches (tweeters) can become distorted when the volume is up a bit.. for me, using AA solves the issues and restores the clarity (think that's the right word). Unsure if this is a quality thing or the different ways in which Apple and Android work in the car.

And having a glance at the link you posted, I do also find that Bluetooth is louder. If I've just used me phone for paying at a drivethru or similar and I switch to Bluetooth it's much louder than it was via cable.

As for artwork, I wouldn't know. But AA shows it fine [emoji106][emoji23]

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Tried a few experiments last night, bluetooth is definitely better than apple carplay.
Much nicer sound and better stereo seperation.
Carplay sounds muddier and almost like it's in mono.
So I think I'll forego the other benefits on carplay in favour of the better sound on bluetooth.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:03 am Tried a few experiments last night, bluetooth is definitely better than apple carplay.
Much nicer sound and better stereo seperation.
Carplay sounds muddier and almost like it's in mono.
So I think I'll forego the other benefits on carplay in favour of the better sound on bluetooth.
Had not thought of doing that so ive tried and I agree the Bluetooth is clearer. that is unusual as the last car I had was the other way around. I will leave mine unplugged. I have VW sat nav anyway so I don't need to plug in to get google maps. vw sat nav pulled over to the digi dash is easier to use anyway.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Does anyone know what triggers the drive rest alert? I generally tend to get it after about an hour on the road, sometimes I even get it after 1/2 an hour. but I just don't know if its my style of laid back driving or it its just on a timer? cant figure it. does it go on head movement, or arms. If its arms moving between steering wheel and gear stick, well mine is a DSG so I do not change gear.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

I think it's more of steering and pedal inputs ... It uses that to determine if your drifting in the lane... Think that's what the book said - have a look.
mike sel wrote:Does anyone know what triggers the drive rest alert? I generally tend to get it after about an hour on the road, sometimes I even get it after 1/2 an hour. but I just don't know if its my style of laid back driving or it its just on a timer? cant figure it. does it go on head movement, or arms. If its arms moving between steering wheel and gear stick, well mine is a DSG so I do not change gear.

mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Adam_013 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:54 am I think it's more of steering and pedal inputs ... It uses that to determine if your drifting in the lane... Think that's what the book said - have a look.
mike sel wrote:Does anyone know what triggers the drive rest alert? I generally tend to get it after about an hour on the road, sometimes I even get it after 1/2 an hour. but I just don't know if its my style of laid back driving or it its just on a timer? cant figure it. does it go on head movement, or arms. If its arms moving between steering wheel and gear stick, well mine is a DSG so I do not change gear.
I see yep looked it up and your right. As mine is a DSG no real peddle inputs and I only turn the steering wheel when im going around corners, so I suppose im going to get frequent messages then.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm One thing that's bugging me in my Polo is the driver's mat moving.
the one in mine is clipped in there is a little upstand in the foot well that mine plugs in.

I see the rear belt issue has today hot the national press. I thought someone on here posted a few weeks ago that a final recall Fix had been agreed upon and cars were due to be called back?