18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

I really miss my 115 hp the extra 20hp over this SE 95hp really tells. I didn't think it would. looking at fuel econ the 115 is not costing much (if any more) the sport mode in the 115 makes a huge difference when overtaking.

I miss my digi dash, using this analogue dash in this SE is like watching football on an old black and white TV. where as the digi dash is like how you felt when you first go your 60" 4K tv... its a different league.

I miss my DSG gear box. these 5 manual gears are too long and NO sport mode.

I want my heated seats back...these are efffin cold when its -1.5 out at 6am.

and on my 450 mile round trip to Nottingham I had no cruise control at all let along my ACC...

I have decided that my SEL is pretty much a different class of car to the SE. It cost me 5-6k more but the difference is much more then that.

Please don't take offence SE owners I know there are many thousands of you out there...it just depends on what you use the car for If its about town or your second car then obviously the 95hp SE would be fine. But for me and my regular long drive and it being my only car its the SEL 115 DSG all the way.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When you talk about "Sports Mode" are you just talking about the sports mode in your DSG? I didn't think an SEL had sports mode with the suspension and handling? If it has where do you find it?
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

VW still have my car. Xmas ever I took it in. apparently its all up and running leak fixed etc etc but they still can get t*t to lock despite VW teck plugging in remotely. I am told it will be fixed its just no one knows when.

I could not get on with the SE 95 Polo manual. not just because of the car although it is quite a lot slower than then 115hp DSG. So VW service centre swapped it for a Golf match 1.5 TSI EVO DSG. now I would have ordered my Polo with the 1.5 evo IF it were available so im happy to try the golf and the 1.5 engine for a few days while my car is finally and completely fixed.

I am 100% sure that going for the Polo SEL 115 DSG was the right thing to do. it will be interesting to see how I get on with the Golf and then the 1.5 engine. Did I make the right choice between the Polo and Golf?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 am VW still have my car. Xmas ever I took it in. apparently its all up and running leak fixed etc etc but they still can get t*t to lock despite VW teck plugging in remotely. I am told it will be fixed its just no one knows when.

I could not get on with the SE 95 Polo manual. not just because of the car although it is quite a lot slower than then 115hp DSG. So VW service centre swapped it for a Golf match 1.5 TSI EVO DSG. now I would have ordered my Polo with the 1.5 evo IF it were available so im happy to try the golf and the 1.5 engine for a few days while my car is finally and completely fixed.

I am 100% sure that going for the Polo SEL 115 DSG was the right thing to do. it will be interesting to see how I get on with the Golf and then the 1.5 engine. Did I make the right choice between the Polo and Golf?
The difference in size between the Golf and Polo is marginal. Most of the length difference is in the Golf's larger bonnet to accommodate larger engines (the 2.0TSI of the Polo GTI is a tight fit compared to the Golf R's 2.0TSI with larger Turbo and different inlet systems).

The boot is marginally bigger in the Golf, unless you consider the Golf R which has no "false bottom" due to the Haldex 4wd taking up some room the other 2wd variants. Useable passenger interior space seems to be identical. I have the drivers seat right back (1 notch from end of rails) in both cars and space behind me for one of the daughters to sit is the same.

Even the most basic Golf's come with more standard equipment but the Polo SEL isn't exactly sparse. There's a hell of a price gap between the 2 cars, trim for trim though.

You'd get a Golf delivered quicker.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 am VW still have my car. Xmas ever I took it in. apparently its all up and running leak fixed etc etc but they still can get t*t to lock despite VW teck plugging in remotely. I am told it will be fixed its just no one knows when.

The Golf is 35 cm longer making it harder to park. It costs more, and does slightly less mpg, so unless you need more room in the back for 3 people, or a slightly bigger boot, then the Polo is the right choice.

For me the Polo 95 SE is ideal, with more than enough power, but this is completely subjective and a personal choice. Curious how many people are not keen on the 95 engine. You should try a non turbo engine, oh my giddy aunt, I had one for a morning and I was overtaken by snails.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Power is all subjective with what you are used to. I haven't had my main car with less than 140ps since prior to 2005. Fuel economy was never a concern to me running a consecutive string of TDIs until I replaced my Golf GTD (184ps) with my Golf R (300ps).

With the MK7 Golf, in came a far smoother and more linear delivery of power, making the cars not feel anywhere near as fast as they actually are - that took the thrill out of it for me a little.

My Polo GTI+, although refined,, feels as quick as it is - it feels nimble than my Golf R and isn't miles away from it for in gear performance.

My R has 0-62 of 5.1 seconds, but considering about 0.8s of that is the 4wd eliminating initial wheelspin, it's not hugely quicker in gear than the Polo.

I have always found performance VWs better value than the standard ones, and better equipped. They are better value because they have better residuals. If the performance model costs £3k more than the next one down, but will be worth £3k more at trade-in or sale time then it's not really cost any more "except loan interest".

People get hugely bogged down on their car costing them £20 a month more in fuel than anticipated, but don't bemoan that they spent a ton of money on options that will fetch next-to nothing come resale time. Depreciation is by far the biggest running cost of a new car, dwarfing mpg differences between the engines.

It's almost always more cost effective to buy the next model up with more standard equipment than the model you have to add a load of options to - if you get out of the RRP mindset and consider that your car costs you what it depreciated by while you own it.

Standard tech like ACC on the GTI+ makes it cost barely more to insure than the smaller engined models if you are an experienced driver with plenty of no claims.

For the reasons above, I didn't find the SEL 115DSG particularly good value for money vs the very well equipped as standard GTI+.you get a lot more car for not a lot more money, if prepared to stomach a 20% higher thirst - mainly due to the considerably better residuals (as indicated by GFV %) offsetting most of the higher cost as well as the higher level of standard equipment.

All that assuming you change cars fairly regularly and do average mileage.

If you buy a car and do astronomical mileage then that fuel saving on a smaller engine becomes far more significant.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

"People get hugely bogged down on their car costing them £20 a month more in fuel than anticipated, but don't bemoan that they spent a ton of money on options that will fetch next-to nothing come resale time. Depreciation is by far the biggest running cost of a new car, dwarfing mpg differences between the engines."

This ^^. The number of folk I know who've whined and cried about spending, say, £150 on a pair of tyres for the MOT, a long trip costing £60 in fuel (so you can stillactually rive the car), or even £15 on a touch pen for a 1inch scratch. But forgetting they bought the top of the latest range model, then specced their car up with £2,000+ of options (that they hardly ever use) and they 'had to have' at least a 2litre engine "cos I need the power and the biggest & best". I also know folk who are prefectly happy with their 'base model' of car, not even overly-fussed about the colour. Gotta be a moral in there somewhere....
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

The golf I have been loaned has 150HP. I have been playing on the way to work and home yesterday. The engine can cut to 2 cylinders to save fuel and it did that a few times on my 28 mile round trip to work. TBH I cant work out exactly what conditions result in the 2 cylinder configuration. It did that on duel carriage ways when I was up to speed and settled. it also did it on a roads when I was doing 40 and settled. It did cut back to 4 cylinders every time I braked.

The car is obviously larger and heavier than my polo. Its quiet and safe, very stable. there are more softer plastics and the door bins are lined with a felt type material. It does feel like a well bolted together bit of kit. I cant get used to the lower position for the screen set below the air vents in the Golf. I also find the Driver mode button is on the other side of the gear stick, I have to reach around and look down to find the button, stupid place for it. on my Polo it is right next to the driver, easy to reach.

So far I prefer the Polo Digi dash and higher screen. As for acceleration the 115 Polo is supposed to be 0-62 in about 9 seconds. This golf is about 8 seconds. TBH I don't feel the extra second.

Parking, width wise it does not seem to different, I don't know what the actual dimensions are. in terms of fitting on the front of my home im struggling. my front space is 3950mm to the pavement, the polo is 4050 long and just goes onto the pavement by about 10cm hardly caused a problem for users of the pavement. however the golf must be quite a bit longer as it seems to be a lot further onto the pavement, which to be fair to pedestrians, does cause an obstruction. I can see the car bonnet getting keyed in protest by someone at some point.

My partner likes both cars but is taken with the Golfs roomier interior and larger boot (more shopping bags fit in there im told).

Im on my regular 450+ round trip to Nottingham on Sunday I will be able to better report on fuel econ and comfort after that. Although I have to say I have not found My SEL polo to be other than Very comfortable and on average the Polo got 52-54 MPG on the Nottingham run. The golf will have to perform very well to beat the Polo.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am People get hugely bogged down on their car costing them £20 a month more in fuel than anticipated, but don't bemoan that they spent a ton of money on options that will fetch next-to nothing come resale time. Depreciation is by far the biggest running cost of a new car, dwarfing mpg differences between the engines.

It's almost always more cost effective to buy the next model up with more standard equipment than the model you have to add a load of options to - if you get out of the RRP mindset and consider that your car costs you what it depreciated by while you own it.

Standard tech like ACC on the GTI+ makes it cost barely more to insure than the smaller engined models if you are an experienced driver with plenty of no claims.

For the reasons above, I didn't find the SEL 115DSG particularly good value for money vs the very well equipped as standard GTI+.you get a lot more car for not a lot more money, if prepared to stomach a 20% higher thirst - mainly due to the considerably better residuals (as indicated by GFV %) offsetting most of the higher cost as well as the higher level of standard equipment.

All that assuming you change cars fairly regularly and do average mileage.

If you buy a car and do astronomical mileage then that fuel saving on a smaller engine becomes far more significant.
Sensible advice. Apparently people also tend to take out PCP rather than a bank loan with a lower interest rate. I do ~25,000 miles a year so a 60+ mpg engine is well worth having compared to 50 mpg for example. I spend ~£2,000 a year on fuel.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mike sel wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:57 am The golf I have been loaned has 150HP. I have been playing on the way to work and home yesterday. The engine can cut to 2 cylinders to save fuel and it did that a few times on my 28 mile round trip to work. TBH I cant work out exactly what conditions result in the 2 cylinder configuration. It did that on duel carriage ways when I was up to speed and settled. it also did it on a roads when I was doing 40 and settled. It did cut back to 4 cylinders every time I braked.

The car is obviously larger and heavier than my polo. Its quiet and safe, very stable. there are more softer plastics and the door bins are lined with a felt type material. It does feel like a well bolted together bit of kit. I cant get used to the lower position for the screen set below the air vents in the Golf. I also find the Driver mode button is on the other side of the gear stick, I have to reach around and look down to find the button, stupid place for it. on my Polo it is right next to the driver, easy to reach.

So far I prefer the Polo Digi dash and higher screen. As for acceleration the 115 Polo is supposed to be 0-62 in about 9 seconds. This golf is about 8 seconds. TBH I don't feel the extra second.

Parking, width wise it does not seem to different, I don't know what the actual dimensions are. in terms of fitting on the front of my home im struggling. my front space is 3950mm to the pavement, the polo is 4050 long and just goes onto the pavement by about 10cm hardly caused a problem for users of the pavement. however the golf must be quite a bit longer as it seems to be a lot further onto the pavement, which to be fair to pedestrians, does cause an obstruction. I can see the car bonnet getting keyed in protest by someone at some point.

My partner likes both cars but is taken with the Golfs roomier interior and larger boot (more shopping bags fit in there im told).

Im on my regular 450+ round trip to Nottingham on Sunday I will be able to better report on fuel econ and comfort after that. Although I have to say I have not found My SEL polo to be other than Very comfortable and on average the Polo got 52-54 MPG on the Nottingham run. The golf will have to perform very well to beat the Polo.
The 2 cylinder deactivation kicks in under very low load situations. You can see low loading on the GTI - one of the media screen modes under "CAR" shows instant values for turbo boost pressure, G, and kW output. It's amazing how much the kW changes between cruising in 6th at 50mph (as low as 5 kW on the flat) and under light or heavy acceleration in the lower gears (maxing out at 150kW). If the Golf you are in now also has this function, you should be able to determine if it's a straightforward kW output threshold to change between 2 or 4 cylinders.

If this tech is truly effective at reducing fuel usage by meaningful amounts, i'd expect VAG to roll it out to all 4 or even 6 cylinder engine variants.

To your Golf/Polo comparison - as an owner of both cars, I can definitely say the interior is a smidge wider. I haven't measured it but I'd estimate the difference to be 3 or 4 inches. The central armrest at the front has a wider body - consistently the width of the lid, not tapered between the seats like the Polo, and the R's seats seem marginally wider between the side bolsters than my Polo. The central rear seat on the seat bench has a little more width on the Golf. Legroom is near-as-damn-it the same in both cars.

When I look at the 2 cars parked up next to each other from an upstairs window, you can see where the additional length comes in on the Golf - the bonnet is about 7 inches longer, and there's plenty of room to accommodate the R's 2.0TSI lump, the much bigger turbo and the battery. The Polo GTI's engine is a much tighter fit.

The roof is marginally longer on the Golf, to accommodate The slightly deeper boot.

So the boot and bonnet are bigger, the interior is the same size save for a little width that the 5th occupant in the middle of the back seats would appreciate.

The only real advantage of plushness that my pre-facelift Golf R has is in the door cards ,- the interior door grab handles are made of nicer plastic, and the top edge of the door cards have that rubbery feel plastic. The door pockets having felt lining, the glove box has a light and the switch for the external lights has a chrome trim. I believe the last 2 points were removed for facelift by penny pinching VW bean counters. The dash of the Polo with digital dash and infotainment looks much better on the Polo. The touch screen on the pre facelift Golf is much less responsive too.

I prefer the interior of my Polo to my Golf R, despite the minor door card differences.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:03 am Sensible advice. Apparently people also tend to take out PCP rather than a bank loan with a lower interest rate. I do ~25,000 miles a year so a 60+ mpg engine is well worth having compared to 50 mpg for example. I spend ~£2,000 a year on fuel.
The simple fact of the matter is that PCP costs a person less per month.
My Polo 'beats' is £199 per month on PCP, what would it cost me per month for a loan sufficient to buy it?
Yes, PCP can be higher interest rates than banks, but not always.
For example, Renault are currently doing PCP with zero per cent interest and only one month deposit on new Clios.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

The VW Up when introduced had almost the same interior space as the Polo, due to a very compact engine. The latest Polos have similar engines to the VW Up so I assume that the Polo also saves space by having more compact engine compartments and hence more room inside than the previous model. My Citroen C3 on loan feels like a truck in comparison due to the large bonnet and it feels no roomier inside despite being a higher class of car i.e. one above city car.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 pm
Leif wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:03 am Sensible advice. Apparently people also tend to take out PCP rather than a bank loan with a lower interest rate. I do ~25,000 miles a year so a 60+ mpg engine is well worth having compared to 50 mpg for example. I spend ~£2,000 a year on fuel.
The simple fact of the matter is that PCP costs a person less per month.
My Polo 'beats' is £199 per month on PCP, what would it cost me per month for a loan sufficient to buy it?
Yes, PCP can be higher interest rates than banks, but not always.
For example, Renault are currently doing PCP with zero per cent interest and only one month deposit on new Clios.
I think you missed the point of my post or you're just arguing for argument's sake. The significant phrase in my statement quoted is "people tend to". Quite obviously in the case you give people should choose PCP. I was making the point that many people will happily pay for example 6% PCP when they could pay substantially less with a bank loan.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:14 pm I think you missed the point of my post or you're just arguing for argument's sake. The significant phrase in my statement quoted is "people tend to". Quite obviously in the case you give people should choose PCP. I was making the point that many people will happily pay for example 6% PCP when they could pay substantially less with a bank loan.
What's your point here though?
What's the relevance of the higher interest rate?
it's comparing apples with oranges, they're completely different products.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:16 pm
Leif wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:14 pm I think you missed the point of my post or you're just arguing for argument's sake. The significant phrase in my statement quoted is "people tend to". Quite obviously in the case you give people should choose PCP. I was making the point that many people will happily pay for example 6% PCP when they could pay substantially less with a bank loan.
What's your point here though?
What's the relevance of the higher interest rate?
it's comparing apples with oranges, they're completely different products.
It seems like you are just arguing for the sake of it. I have made my point clearly enough, which followed on from comments by monkeyhanger on purchase and running costs.