18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by monkeyhanger »

Best thing to do is set up individual mode - for me, everything within set to Sport except Engine noise (set to normal - Sport sounds so fake) and the dynamic suspension (set to normal - for a slightly softer ride).
Matt88
New
Drives: 2018 R-Line

Post by Matt88 »

grudgey wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:40 pm
mike sel wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 pm
Robint wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pm I’ve got to say Polo GTI + with 700 miles on the clock love it too bits DSG is great good fun nice acceleration it’s brilliant but as was said juddering wipers. Stupid things spoil the experience ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet the GTI is quick, TBH I think the 115 in sport mode is quick, the GTI must feel like its a rocket.
My GTi+ is quick and thirsty in Sport Mode. But that said it is huge fun.
My car came with every conceivable extra on it apart from heated seats (which have now been retro fitted).

I would love to know how to set up the different Mode options. I understand Eco and Sport but what is Normal and the other option?

Forgive me I am old and confused..........but I still drive like I stole it....lol
Apologies, can’t answer your question grudgey but could you tell me how you went about retrofitting heated seats? Was this done by a vw dealership or was it a third party after market solution?
Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by Chungster »

Is the £570 inc VAT for both front seats or per seat??

Richter Sport in MK do it for £850!!

http://www.richtersport.co.uk/view-cate ... &model=169

Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

Post by Chungster »

Who’s your VW dealer if you don’t Mind me asking? £570 is not bad and rather tempting to have that feature retrofitted

mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I will be posting a comparison between the SEL 115 DSG all bells an whistles that I own. Vs the SE 95 manual basic no frills that the dealer has just loaned me until the new year. I will report in early Jan when I get mine back.

I will also do a review on the VW dealer service dept experience.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

I have heated front seats and they only warm the centre part of the seat, a bit like sitting on a small hot water bottle when it's cold: a warm behind but the rest of you is still cold unless or until ther air warms up. Personally I can do wthout them but they do heat up quickly and if people want the feature then go ahead. £570ish for fitting is prob about right, dealers are generally not keen on retro-fitting such items, just 'quick to screw-on' stuff like different wheels, floor mats, boot liners, etc....
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

merry Christmas all.

the heated seats in mine do the base of the seat and also the seat back up to a point just about level with the shoulder blades. I find the money well spent. but then I specked mine when I ordered the car and so are factory fitted and cost nothing because they came as part of a wrongly sold winter pack (promised heated windshield nozzles and headlight washers which were not there so got a full refund of the £285 winder pack cost). I know there are not many days when we need them on the uk south cost but there are a few and when needed these are very comfortable.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Ok 95 SE manual 5 gear bright orange Vs 115 SEL DSG in grey.

As you all know mine is the SEL 115 DSG with added bells and whistles. It is in the VW dealer service dept and they loaned me a no frills SE on xmas eve until I get my 115 back.

I did my monthly 450 mile round trip in the SE over the weekend, only time ive done it in the SE, done the trip about 4 times in the SEL.

I am missing my reverse camera and parking sensors as this car had nothing to assist. To be fair the all round visibility was Ok but I had difficulty in getting as tight to the wall behind as I would have liked too, with the camera I get within 0-1CM and can see that easily, without the camera im getting to about 6-10cm, not a big deal to most it just meant I was sticking out at the front onto the pavement. tempting for someone to key it one day. An option I must have.

I actually missed DSG I have got used to that over the last 4 months of owning it. But it was not the deal breaker I thought it would be, I would happily save the £1600 on the DSG and go for manual next time. Yes there were several issues with the manual, it is geared high, the clutch is rubbish (I have a bit of clutch burn smell in the cabin and I did have to get into first more then I would have liked, even coasting to a roundabout then slipping into second and sliding into my gap left me without enough power to pull way once or twice. So in the end I found it safer to stop then pull away. I don't think the clutch will last long in this car and I would seriously think hard before chipping this car with more HP as I don't think the clutch will cope.

Heated folding mirrors were NOT available on the SE I drove. These were missed, but the motor noise operating wasn't. I would keep this feature on my next purchase even though im sure one of the mirror motors will probably break. it was annoying to not be able to use the wing mirrors on a damp morning because of condensation on them and i did not have a cloth on me. I will keep this feature. Good option to have.

blind spot warning n the SEL is worth having, it not only assists in pulling out into the overtaking lane but its a good indication when pulling back in the your not cutting the car you have just passed up. (that is IF the car you are passing is not a white merc A1 AMG who hated a POLO passing him and actually speeded up as I passed)

No heated seats on the SE, we did miss this, an option on my SEL but I do like heated seats.

The front seats generally in the SE are not sports seats and thus are not as comfortable, I think its the side bolsters that are too small on the SE car. the SEL has sports seats and better material covering, these are more comfortable on a long trip like the 225 miles each way (3- 3 1/2 hours non stop) I did feel it in the SE.

BIG ONE no cruise control of any type in this SE. I have ACC on my SEL and love it. ACC is a keeper for me. This would be a huge deal breaker. I checked the SE over and all it had was speed limiter.

NO sport mode..missed that big time.

The SE has manual air con....hated it, the controls look clumpy and although they are solid to use the SELs auto climate control looks better and is simpler to use.

More to follow..cup of coffee needed.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Still not got my car back from VW yet. good new is they say they are not charging the £12.50 per day they told me they were for the loan car. Mine went in on 24th Dec as of Friday it was dash out in the work shop. No forecast on a return date. at some point I will have to start making noises about a replacement car.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Hi, at the moment is in at VW with them looking for a rain water ingress point. its taking ages. I have an SE without active info screen.

however it has given me the chance to see the difference between the 2 cars. and having the std dials and driver information makes me miss the active info display. I actually think appart from the extra 20HP min has its the thing I miss most. no you cant get maps on both screens, its just one or the other. you can only have VW satnav maps display on the active info screen. but you can at the same time have your google maps on the main car screen if you want to. you cannot move google maps over to the active info screen though.

so if somehow you can retro fit an active info screen into your car you will need to have VW satnav as well IF you wish to make the most of the active info. I must say the information on the active info screen is great to be able to have the speedo and rev counter + VW map on the screen at the same time as well as engine temperature, fuel state and then a choice of fuel econ in the rev counter and current MPG in the other (or many other combinations that you can cycle through while driving). IMHO active info when combined with VW satnav makes the polo come alive. when I hear people witter on about the Seat ibeza and how its the same car as the polo just cheaper....no it aint not if you have the SEL with active info and VW sat nav. I think its the sweet spot in the polo range and almost none knows it. cant wait for them to find and fix my leak and get the car back.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

ok I am apparently getting my car back tomorrow. I am going to have to check they have reassembled it correctly. I mean no clicks squeak's or rattles. I need to check everything works as it did before. I also will need to see evidence that they found the leak and what they did to repair it.
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Hi Mike

Hope it comes back in the same condition and no problems. I wonder where the leak was? My concern is there is a manufacturing fault such as a faulty weld somewhere on all these early Polos causing leaks - just on evidence of others they are prone to misting up at the slightest opportunity compared to all my other cars they seem on the damp side.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Muldoon wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm Hi Mike

Hope it comes back in the same condition and no problems. I wonder where the leak was? My concern is there is a manufacturing fault such as a faulty weld somewhere on all these early Polos causing leaks - just on evidence of others they are prone to misting up at the slightest opportunity compared to all my other cars they seem on the damp side.
Hey Muldoon, Ok I am told by the dealer late yesterday (they still have the car) that the water ingress was on the passenger side bottom corner windshield. He says there are 5 panels that join in this location and this is the second Polo with water ingress in this location. check your passenger side footwell for dampness.

However my saga continues. they fixed the leak a few days ago and rebuilt the car (had the dash out) they replaced the carpet and linings they replaced several other items (I will advise when I get the list) but upon setting the car up they noticed the car was not recognising that it was in park mode (DSG) he says this is normally the gear selector that is faulty so they ordered the part and fitted it Thursday. Upon fitting the part they discovered it made no difference the car still does not recognise it is in park mode and the doors will not lock. I am told that in all other respects the car is operating as per factory. So now they are waiting until Monday to have a conference call with VW Europe because they think the problem is simply in the coding ???

Importantly, they have said the gear selector is a weak component on the Polo and they have had several that have broken. So I don't know if this is just a DSG component or if all gear boxes have a gear selector but its just a general heads up.

Whilst in the dealers they have carried out the permanent rear centre seat belt recall.

IF the conference call works out on Monday I should get my car back, I assume I will then have to reset up my phone link and re-input my satnav locations then re link carnet. o joy.

On the plus side I am told I can choose an item to the value of £175 and VW will get it for me as an apology. o what to choose.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If they can't get the leak fixed next attempt, i'd be pushing for rejection. If next attempt is going to be more than a month the again I'd be pushing for rejection. It seems the kind of fault that's from a fundamental flaw in the build process.

I wonder whether other Polos here with chronic misting up also have your issue, to a lesser extent?

The gear selector issue doesn't seem to be a common DSG fault across VAG vehicles, and the Polo doesn't have a unique gearbox, so it would manifest itself on other VAG models. Perhaps it is a 7 speed dry clutch DSG specific issue? The in it hasn't been out that long (comparatively with the wet clutch 6 speed unit)

The DSG unit is pretty reliable long term, a few premature mechatronic unit failures very early under warranty is all you'll generally hear about on the forums. When they get old enough for the clutch packs to wear right out, selection of reverse can be problematic.

My Dad has had 3 DSG Golfs, all 3 have had faultless DSG transmissions with collosal mileage - a MK4 130TDI with 160k miles when he headed in, a MK5 170TDI with 145k miles and his MK7 GTD is currently at 103k miles.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 pm If they can't get the leak fixed next attempt, i'd be pushing for rejection. If next attempt is going to be more than a month the again I'd be pushing for rejection. It seems the kind of fault that's from a fundamental flaw in the build process.

I wonder whether other Polos here with chronic misting up also have your issue, to a lesser extent?

The gear selector issue doesn't seem to be a common DSG fault across VAG vehicles, and the Polo doesn't have a unique gearbox, so it would manifest itself on other VAG models. Perhaps it is a 7 speed dry clutch DSG specific issue? The in it hasn't been out that long (comparatively with the wet clutch 6 speed unit)

The DSG unit is pretty reliable long term, a few premature mechatronic unit failures very early under warranty is all you'll generally hear about on the forums. When they get old enough for the clutch packs to wear right out, selection of reverse can be problematic.

My Dad has had 3 DSG Golfs, all 3 have had faultless DSG transmissions with collosal mileage - a MK4 130TDI with 160k miles when he headed in, a MK5 170TDI with 145k miles and his MK7 GTD is currently at 103k miles.
Yea they assure me the leak was found and cured permanently, so I am going to head for the first puddles I see. also my first job will be to wash the car holding the jest wash over the area for quite some time.

Pleased to hear the DGS was working well long term generally. I plan to keep this polo for some years, As you will recall its a SEL 115 DSG with satnav, heated seats, reverse camera, folding mirrors, ACC, rear collision prep, keyless, direr mode, active info dash. I have already muted that I am losing patience and will be looking for a car exchange if they cannot get the car running as from factory by end of this wee. He pointed out that my car is more rare than the GTI (with all my options), he said we would be looking at a build of 5 months and who knows if that will be possible. So im hoping to get mine back next week. hoping its just a coding error. Obviously im not accepting the car back without a full fix.