18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, with regards using an EV in winter weather, not good, much further up North you could extend that to most of autumn, winter and most of spring!

It is the present slow unattended charging systems that annoys me, charging on normal chargers meaning that chargers are located at areas where user can leave the car and get on with doing other things - that just means that the charging station is now being used for maybe 4 or 6 hours while the driver enjoys their stop to charge, try playing that game with a fuel station and even if it was allowed, the queues would build up quickly even although there are quite a lot of filling stations.

Maybe charging stations should be operated manually by attendants, now that might sound very "old school", but it would force them to be used in a sensible manner and not just used as car parking spaces, after all, we are in a period of time when every "advance" comes with a penalty - in other words, maybe we should see this present kind of EV to just be the introductory lead in to proper sorted EVs that will appear with onboard energy stores that can be refilled in 15 minutes from suitable charging stations, as well as being able to get topped up slowly at home. Really all I'm meaning is, consider what happened at the start of big time motoring and take some tips from it, once proper EVs appear charging points will be able to revert to be operator controlled.

Side comment, BBC Scotland ran a test on driving around but staying in Scotland, using an EV, it mainly went okay, some established filling stations thought EV was a new opportunity as they could open a coffee shop for owners to sit in while their cars recharged, so they would make more money in coffee shop sales. One issue was when remote chargers malfunction, on finding a remote charger malfunctioning, they used the instructions written on the notice and phoned the helpline which off course was based very far down South, the only help they got was for the helpline to repeat the instructions on the notice - probably without including "phone this number" - now how helpful would that be in winter in a remote location?
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:45 pm
Since petrols went direct injection like diesels, they've been belching out the soot, i'm surprised it hasn't been a requirement already.
I thought that was an exaggeration but apparently not:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 0523144338.

Note that other toxins may be even worse. What worries me is that all cars take in some air from the road in front even when the air vents are closed or recirculate is on. I’ve often wondered what the cabin air is like after a journey.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:28 am
Since petrols went direct injection like diesels, they've been belching out the soot, i'm surprised it hasn't been a requirement already.

Note that other toxins may be even worse. What worries me is that all cars take in some air from the road in front even when the air vents are closed or recirculate is on. I’ve often wondered what the cabin air is like after a journey.
Crumbs we will have start wearing a surgical mask in the car soon.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:28 am

The amount of black smoke I saw pouring out of a Ford Focus RS last week when I followed it from a standstill from a set of lights, not going anywhere near its potential acceleration was shocking - as much as any pre-DPF diesel 2 litre taxi being driven hard - hope my Golf R isn't quite that bad!
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

ok another 4 hour road trip this weekend in the Polo, coming back Sunday will be about 4hrs or so. It will be interesting to see just how uncomfortable the car gets. and can the little 1.0l 115 engine cope. I think some of this will be in the rain so climate controlled aircon on, ill have to do outside lane speeds to get where im going, Adaptive cruise will be on the whole way, so I will see what econ I get. (it wont be the 69.8 I got on a 55mile motorway on a dry day with aircon off in econ mode). im expecting around the 40-45mpg.
ranxzy
New
Drives: Beats

Post by ranxzy »

Looking forward to your findings Mike. 69mpg is very impressive in ideal conditions. I would be happy with 45-50mpg doing strictly city driving in London using the 95ps DSG.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

mike sel wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 am ok another 4 hour road trip this weekend in the Polo, coming back Sunday will be about 4hrs or so. It will be interesting to see just how uncomfortable the car gets. and can the little 1.0l 115 engine cope. I think some of this will be in the rain so climate controlled aircon on, ill have to do outside lane speeds to get where im going, Adaptive cruise will be on the whole way, so I will see what econ I get. (it wont be the 69.8 I got on a 55mile motorway on a dry day with aircon off in econ mode). im expecting around the 40-45mpg.
I'd hope that you will be "disappointed" and see the correct side of 50MPG over that sort of journey!
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

On my journey up north I was getting around 64mpg in the 1.0 SE 95ps
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Looking forward to your findings Mike. 69mpg is very impressive in ideal conditions. I would be happy with 45-50mpg doing strictly city driving in London using the 95ps DSG.
[/quote]

Yes mid summer dry and hot, I set off at about 5.30am on a drive of 55 miles, I set the car on eco mode switched off start stop switched off aircon. no cruise control.

this is what I got I cant get the picture the right way up and I have tried a few times LOL.
IMG_0272.JPG

I got 69.8mpg ave speed of 49mph and over 52 miles.

I don't know why the picture keeps loading upside down, unless...…..the car is really Australian. :D
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I’ve been getting a real mpg of 62-65 mpg over the last three or four months, pretty impressive for a medium sized car. The mpg indicator overestimates by about 5% in my experience.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 am
mike sel wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 am ok another 4 hour road trip this weekend in the Polo, coming back Sunday will be about 4hrs or so. It will be interesting to see just how uncomfortable the car gets. and can the little 1.0l 115 engine cope. I think some of this will be in the rain so climate controlled aircon on, ill have to do outside lane speeds to get where im going, Adaptive cruise will be on the whole way, so I will see what econ I get. (it wont be the 69.8 I got on a 55mile motorway on a dry day with aircon off in econ mode). im expecting around the 40-45mpg.
I'd hope that you will be "disappointed" and see the correct side of 50MPG over that sort of journey!
Just to remind. I have an SEL 115 DSG on 16" alloys. Options, digi dash, climate control, winter pack, VW sat nav, rear crash alert, auto parking, Adaptive cruise, folding heated mirrors, blind spot warning, and keyless entry / push button start.

Ok journey done, there was me and my partner and overnight stuff. It was 160 miles each way, used mainly motorways. Weather was very wet for 95% of the drive both ways. Climate control with aircon on, std drive mode and kept it in adaptive cruise until the radar (or what ever it has) could not see through the rain and ACC cut out, then just as I arrived at the other end the sun came out. Same on the way home. I also used the VW sat nav both ways with traffic monitoring. I had to switch to google maps half way back as the VW sat nav froze and I had no map just directions. (this corrected it self after stopping and re starting the car).

The car drove beautifully 100% of the time, absolutely no issues with the way the car drove or its acceleration. The windows all stayed clear with demist on. The wipers did not judder (even the rear one). The VW sat nav took me to where I needed to go no issues at all. I had the sat nav on my digi dash and my partner was in charge of the music on the main screen. I got 51.8MPG in those conditions. was quite happy with that. very comfortable and no leg cramp issues. I did get 1 driver tired alert pop up, not sure why.

On the way back again set up as above , raining, traffic very heavy loads of stop starts on the M25 (on that for about 90mins). M3 not much better. about 1/2 way around the M25 the Vw satnav map vanished, I moved it back to the main screen and there was the normal sat nav screen with directions on my digi dash but no map, also no radio icons. I stopped at fleet services (M3) loo / coffee break, re started the car about 30 ins later to find it all working properly again so I don't know what caused that glitch. next day it all worked normally. rain stopped about 30 miles from home. again no other issues with the drive the car (with the exception of the sat nav glitch) worked perfectly. got 51.2 MPG.

I has 2 driver tired alerts on this trip, I was not tired so not sure what triggered those. Driving out there was dangerous, got cut up 3 times, and on one occasion had a car emergency stop right in front of me from 70+ in out side lane, down to stop like they stood on the breaks, (I always keep a 3 car gap luckily for all) the car detected the car in front stop a red car warning appeared in the dash, I quickly checked I was not being under passed (blind spot warning lights not on, nothing in the rear mirror, the car was already breaking for me I joined in felt the abs rattle through the peddle and swerved into the middle lane which brought me a few seconds and yards more. The other car had no apparent reason for stopping so fast, the car safety systems worked perfectly.

Not just happy with the car I am ecstatic with it. now done 5300 miles and enjoyed them.

I am sure had it not been raining and the traffic lighter I would have achieved upper 50s MPG.

all in all car works as advertised, We had no discomfort, in fact quite the opposite it was a quiet cabin, no squeeks or bangs, outside noise was minimal, and the seats real comfortable. It was about 31/2 hours each way and we felt quite fresh.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

All good Mike. Not sure why your ACC failed you in tbe rain, the radar is supposed to see through rain.

The Polo is just as comfy as my Golf R, the Bridgestond tyre roar is bad on mine for those concrete sections of motorway - that's a Bridgestone issue I have also see on various Golfs.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

My radar threw a wobbly yesterday a couple of times in drizzle conditions. First time its happened and I've driven the car in very heavy rain previously. Shouldn't really make a difference but wonder if its a combination of the darkness plus wet weather? Never happened on my old golf R that had the radar lower down.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sat Nav maps disappearing is not very handy, I think that it is Garmin that VW Group use and Garmin used to get a bad name for letting you down at critical points in a journey, that was for stand along Sat Nav kits, I think that my decision to buy TomTom as a stand along kit was based on that issue alone as I was new to Sat Nav so getting to live with either Garmin or TomTom would take a bit of adapting to.

As I have never opted for built in Sat Nav I still use my TomTom 6000, and in 3 or 4 years, it has only lost the plot (map tiles) twice, even so not handy when you have been relying on it, I think on both occasions it was at the point where things were becoming "interesting" so the scale/presentation style was being changed, which tended to be when Garmin messed up as well.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm Sat Nav maps disappearing is not very handy, I think that it is Garmin that VW Group use and Garmin used to get a bad name for letting you down at critical points in a journey, that was for stand along Sat Nav kits, I think that my decision to buy TomTom as a stand along kit was based on that issue alone as I was new to Sat Nav so getting to live with either Garmin or TomTom would take a bit of adapting to.

As I have never opted for built in Sat Nav I still use my TomTom 6000, and in 3 or 4 years, it has only lost the plot (map tiles) twice, even so not handy when you have been relying on it, I think on both occasions it was at the point where things were becoming "interesting" so the scale/presentation style was being changed, which tended to be when Garmin messed up as well.
Interesting you say that about when things get busy on the sat nav, Just before it went off I had been given a "getaround" on a traffic jamb on the m25, I chose to stick with the motorway as It said I would save 5 mins. but when I carried on instead of turn off it flipped out and went off line. I suppose it was to much info. funny thing is I am not a tech guy. I know from the spec of my car it looks like I am, but for example the watch I wear a lot is an Omega Speedmaster (the one that went to the moon) its hand wind, so every day I am hand winding my watch, I don't use the dish washer unless I am stacked with washing up I prefer to hand wash the dishes etc etc. so I suppose a sat nav flipping out for a few mins is not really an issue. I did have the google maps to switch to, which I did and that saw me ok without any real loss of information.

Otherwise the car is brilliant. for an about town car it does long distance really well.