Crash

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Crash

Post by brainbow »

A taxi hit my Polo today. Gutted.

Just thought I’d share! :(
AEF0F4C6-58ED-403B-A1E3-DB22FDADB25B.jpeg
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Re: Crash

Post by alandbess »

[emoji47][emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

Gutted for you mate :(
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Ouch!

Hopefully no one was hurt; easier to repair a car than a person. Hopefully the wait times for new Polo body panels is less than for a factory ordered car!
brainbow
Bronze Member

Post by brainbow »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 pm Ouch!

Hopefully no one was hurt; easier to repair a car than a person. Hopefully the wait times for new Polo body panels is less than for a factory ordered car!
I hope the parts will be easier to get than an order! A panel for a right or left vehicle drive will be indentical so fingers crossed. New wing mirror, door repairs and window (badily scratched but doesn’t really come up on the photo)

My mate made me laugh by asking if I’d be able to track the new mirror on the boat from South Africa. No one hurt, just my limestone baby
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Worst nightmare, gutted for you but glad all unharmed :-(
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Sickening!!!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Hopefully nobody was hurt, but it can be repaired, it's only a bit of metal. the trouble is, it won't be the same. I had a new car for about 3 months when somebody drove into it, once repaired, it never felt the same again. I soon got rid of it. Motoring can be a dear hobby :( . Hope you hadn't been waiting for it for too long?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:19 pm Hopefully nobody was hurt, but it can be repaired, it's only a bit of metal. the trouble is, it won't be the same. I had a new car for about 3 months when somebody drove into it, once repaired, it never felt the same again. I soon got rid of it. Motoring can be a dear hobby :( . Hope you hadn't been waiting for it for too long?
Whether or not it feels like a new car after it’s been repaired is pretty much dependent on the quality of repair, and the skill of the individuals undertaking the repair, especially the paint sprayers. Paint matching technology is now quite advanced, with many repairers not just relying on the paint code, but also using spectrophotometer paint matching technology to ensure an accurate colour match. With metallic colours (especially light metallic colours), it’s also important the paint on any new / repaired panels is blended into the existing paint on adjoining panels.

@brainbow; your insurer will probably try and push you through their accident repair network, but you are free to choose a repairer outside the insurer repair network, although if you do this, you may not get a courtesy car, and the insurer may apply an increased excess. However, in order to maintain the VW corrosion warranty, the car does need to be repaired by a VW approved repairer (not necessarily the body shop at a VW dealer - based on forum member feedback on other forums, VW dealer body repairs can be inconsistent in quality of repair and workmanship and sometimes of a poor standard). VW approved repairers can be found at the link below;

https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/claims

Once your car’s been repaired;
  • Inspect the repair carefully from different angles and lighting conditions to ensure the paint colour and finish match the original colour and finish, and all panel gaps are even and uniform and match panel gaps on the rest of the car. Do not collect your car if it’s raining and your car’s parked outside and covered in rain spots as you be able to judge the standard of the repair
  • Check to ensure there’s no overspray on adjoining panels / in the engine bay or hard paint lines where existing panels have been masked off
  • Hidden areas such as the edge of the wheel arch, the edges of any new panels where they are attached to the car’s body (along top of inner wing under the bonnet, the lower ‘A’ pillar near the door hinges and bottom of wing to sill attachment point); compare these with the undamaged drivers side to ensure the finish is to factory standard
  • Check that there’s no new damage to the remainder of your car that could have happened whilst it was in the repairers possession
  • Get some form of documentary evidence from the repairer that repairs have been carried out by a VW approved repairer in case you need to make a claim under the corrosion warranty at some point in the future
Good luck with the repairs. Please let us know how you get on, and hopefully your car will be back to its pre-accident state very soon.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

This ^^. Also take a pal with you not necessarily a car 'expert' but anyone, 4 eyes being better than 2, + a torch to check paint matching and don't accept the car back unless 110% happy. No reason why it shouldn't be perfectly ok if repaired properly, though I know where the OP is coming fron re: 'not feeling the same', but car will be sorted, main thing is (hopefully) no one was hurt....
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

stevereeves wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:05 pm This ^^. Also take a pal with you not necessarily a car 'expert' but anyone, 4 eyes being better than 2, + a torch to check paint matching and don't accept the car back unless 110% happy. No reason why it shouldn't be perfectly ok if repaired properly, though I know where the OP is coming fron re: 'not feeling the same', but car will be sorted, main thing is (hopefully) no one was hurt....
As Steve says about 4 eyes and a torch, I disagree I'd take a local professional car detailer with you. They'll have a paint gauge, hopefully some scangrip colour match torches and they will have a far keener eye than yourself for spotting different defects like paint that's dried too fast.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't write your car off as I saw a gti with less damage than that on two doors get completely written off.

Personally I'd fight for the absolute best repairer around and compensation as it will have taken a good chunk off value if it's written down as any type of cat.
brainbow
Bronze Member

Post by brainbow »

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I’d doubt it will be a write off as we’re really just talking about the one panel and full wing mirror. Against a list price of over £19k the damages would have to be over 55% and then I get a full replacement in the first 12 months.

I can’t see this being basically £10k of damage unless there’s some mechanical issues, it’s still drives ok as far as I can tell.

So fingers crossed on the quality of the work. The garage looks reputable but I will ask about the VW approved part.

I’m also colourblind so I’ll definately get a second pair of eyes on it,,, :shock:
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Ouch. Best of luck for the repair, should be right as rain assuming no sub-assembly damage i.e. just external panels.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi

Don’t forget with your car you have the option to sign up for Ensurance that is totally free of charge and with this you can get your car repaired at a VW approved repairer, and subject to availability, a loan car without charge.

Definitely worth it as it also includes legal cover as well.

The link in the previous post has the web site, so click on the Ensurance link to sign up.

And sorry to hear about the damage to your car.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

brainbow wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm I’m also colourblind so I’ll definately get a second pair of eyes on it,,, :shock:
Me too, to an extent :) . S'why I suggested taking someone else, anyone, as there could so much to take in, always the chance of some detail being overlooked....