Wiper judder poll

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!

Wiper judder?

Yes and NO products used e.g diamondbrite
44%
Yes and I’ve had products e.g diamondbrite
24%
No wiper problems at all
32%

Total votes: 25

Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Wiper judder poll

Post by Leif »

I had some slight smeariness at first, but I've not noticed it for ages so maybe it was some product on the screen from the factory?
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 pmPlease let us know how you get on
I posted an update in the other topic, don’t know if you have seen it yet. Full refund agreed anyway. :D
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

As I was passing my VW dealer today, I thought I'd pop in and ask of any up dates on my Polo SEL, estimated collection date 29/11/2018. He said "that I won't be getting it this year as the build date is week 45". While I was there I asked "if they had many come backs with the wiper blade problem", he said "no Polo's have come back with that problem". I wish I had Jeremy Kyle's lie detector on hand?
I also lifted the wiper arm of the Polo on display, off the screen about 2" and felt the resistance of the springs. I came home and looked at my mate's 2017 Polo GTI and lifted his wiper arms about 2", the resistance on his Polo was a lot less. So my theory is that VW have increased the spring strength to hold the wiper blades down on the screen while driving at high speed, might be the cause of the judder, there's too much pressure on the blades for them to change direction. It's not allowing the blade to flip flop so to speak, if that's what you call it?

It's only a theory though :roll: Go and find an older Polo, and try their wiper arm springs and see if your arm spring is stronger?
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

You may be right I’ve done the same thing new blades did not solve my judder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

It's worth going around and find out if they use the same arms on the New Polo as on a 2017 Polo, if their the same measurement, it might be worth going to a dealer and purchasing wiper arm springs for a 2017 Polo.
But as I say, go and find an older Polo and try the lift test for yourself?
Robint
Bronze Member

Post by Robint »

Tried it mate and your right the old ones are no where near as strong on the screen

silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I'm going to find and purchase a spring scale weight tester, a bit like the ones you can get to weigh your holiday luggage, hen I'll go round and test a few wiper arms for the poundage it takes to lift the wiper arm off the screens. I still think it's the wiper arm spring is too powerful for the blade to work properly?
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Mine is in tomorrow, ostensibly for a centre seat belt recall but they are also looking at the judder I reported when it was booked in. The judder has cleared up now, but they said they would change the blades anyways. Fair paly to em.
Robint
Bronze Member

Post by Robint »

Car went in for wiper judder must say it’s better but still not 100%. Need to drive it in continuous rain now only had drizzle since I had it done

silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

If you just park your car outside your house, let the car tick over, whack your wipers on full bore and train a hose pipe on the front screen, for a good 10 minutes or more, during that time see if your wipers stop juddering.
I have ordered a spring balance to find out the down force the wiper arm spring is giving, as the new Polo's wiper arm I tried in the showroom had a lot more down force than my mates one year old Polo GTI, that doesn't have any judder. I really think it's the extra down force that's causing the wiper rubber not to be able to actually do the flip flop movement, it goes over one way and unable to flip over for the return travel, it's just my theory? On the other hand it could be the glass cleaner VW use to make the screen look sparkly and bright before handing over to the customer?
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

I replaced my juddering wipers with new bosh aero twin A864s four weeks ago and they’ve been perfect since, not even a hint of a judder in all rain conditions.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Cheers "Cadwest",
I'll get a set even before I get my Polo. Where did you purchase them from and what are their lengths?
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:02 pm Cheers "Cadwest",
I'll get a set even before I get my Polo. Where did you purchase them from and what are their lengths?
Amazon do them for £18.95 and the length is 650 & 450 mm, the rear is A282H and is £7.95.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

These are the ones you want https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have bought them for both cars as even after the dealer changed mine they still juddered like crazy, only had drizzle and hosepipe test so far but they seem fine, good luck :-)
Robint
Bronze Member

Post by Robint »

Took everyone’s advice and brought Bosch wipers will let you know