Wiper judder poll

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!

Wiper judder?

Yes and NO products used e.g diamondbrite
44%
Yes and I’ve had products e.g diamondbrite
24%
No wiper problems at all
32%

Total votes: 25

david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Wiper judder poll

Post by david.stark »

I’ve noticed some people haven’t had wiper problems. I’ve also read an article that says products such as Rain X make wipers judder. So I’m wondering if there’s a connection between owners who have had wiper problems and had diamondbrite treatment or something similar applied at purchase or just after by a valeter as I did.

The water certainly beads up on my windows like when Rain X has been used.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Wiper judder poll

Post by Cadwest »

I had my car treated with silver seal car care but also had the windscreen clay barred afterwards and decontaminated, the wipers juddered so I took the wipers off the wife’s 2017 Seat Ibiza which are the same size and no juddering so figured it was the wipers. I also cleaned the VW blades as well but that made little difference.

Fitted the bosh Aerotwin A864S and took the car for a two hour round trip in heavy rain and they performed perfect.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

I’ve got the Bosch wipers arriving today courtesy of Amazon Prime, including the back window wiper. If they work, I plan to email my dealer and ask for them to pay for it.

I don’t think they will as it’s a floodgate scenario if they do. However, with Consumer Law being an area I am qualified in and have expertise in, if they won’t budge, I’d look to bring a claim under Section 9 and 19 (3), (10) & (11) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Essentially this gives the right to claim damages if you choose to seek a remedy that works other than demanding the dealer repair the fault.

The cost I’d be claiming for would be £26.89 plus costs so it’s the principle rather than the money. The small claims court cost would be £25 and it would cost the dealer much more to fight it.

Also worth noting that under the Act, goods being otherwise fine does not mean the dealer can defeat a claim brought against them.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

What’s the rear wiper number please David, think I’m going to replace that one as well.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Amazon reveals the A282H to be the correct model for the rear.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Hi David, The one thing is ignorance of the law and what people can get away with. If you know the law like you say, companies rely on people not knowing their rights. it's time for the little man to stand up against the big companies.
In another forum I'm in, they had purchased a car 4 weeks earlier, the gearbox packed up, they went back and the garage said "sold as seen" nothing to do with us? Another member told them to "go down to trading standards", I said Go to "CAB". It's just not on. We are still waiting for their reply?
I know it's only the wiper blades, but it's the principle, VW knows they have a problem with the wiper blades, they should be held responsible.
I haven't got my Polo yet, but as many people in the forum are complaining about them, and I've seen on other web sites about new Polo owners complaining. Luckily forum members have got hold of wipers that do work, and given the Bosch part numbers, I was going out before hand and purchasing the full set, but If you are going down your route and win, I'll hang on a bit

Please let us know how you get on?
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Ah yes good old sold as seen which of course there is no such thing.

Yes I’ll let you know. First step is to get my 2nd round of video footage to ensure the new wipers work when tested the same as my earlier video.

I will also wait until it actually rains before I contact the dealer to ensure that I have complete confidence. After that, I’ll start with a polite request via the salesman or failing that the dealer principal before wading in all guns blazing.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 pmPlease let us know how you get on?
Have you seen my video in the wiper blades topic? I’ve now tried them this morning in the rain and they are fine.

There is a subtle judder (really subtle) on the bottom right of the front drivers side wiper blade but this is typical of lots of cars I’ve had and perhaps quite common. It’s a judder you have to observe rather than one you hear.

The original wipers basically bounced across the screen. Horrific.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I don't think it's the right time to have a poll on wiper judder as 85% of members don't have their Polo yet :(
Look at this post, apart from myself, (waiting :roll: ) there are two members who are discussing this problem, but can I say, both members comments are very helpful to read.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

My GTI beads up the window. I bought a stock car did not pay for any treatment but think it might have had something on the paint. My wipers are fine till the blades get wet ? Perfect on dry screen and first few wipes then it starts vibrating ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

I've just replaced the rear window wiper in my car due to it constantly making a juddering noise when in use. Currently contacting VW to see if they will pay as car is only three months old.

Will let you all know if I get any luck from VW
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

jdunstone16 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm I've just replaced the rear window wiper in my car due to it constantly making a juddering noise when in use. Currently contacting VW to see if they will pay as car is only three months old.

Will let you all know if I get any luck from VW
I’ve done the same but now the new rear blade has started juddering :oops:

However, this was only after a visit to the jet wash so perhaps it’s something to do with that. Front ones unaffected so I’ve cleaned the rear blade....
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

For everyone getting wiper judder

Please note as a Part-Time Professional Detailer, from my experience wiper judder can be negated by taking the coating used on the windscreen and applying it to the wiper blades.

Therefore I'd recommend getting your dealer to do this versus getting new blades, primarily you'll want the same product however I have had success in the past with using Rain-X on wipers but the windshield had a 2 year-coating on it.

Robint wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm My GTI beads up the window. I bought a stock car did not pay for any treatment but think it might have had something on the paint. My wipers are fine till the blades get wet ? Perfect on dry screen and first few wipes then it starts vibrating ?
It's because your window's gotten dirty! :) new windscreens are polished before being sent to Volkswagen and all car makers and this is why it beads up! Put some rain-x on the window and wipers and you'll have no problems, or for a longer term try Gtechniq G1 Clearvision!

Should anyone else have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

I take your point but I have had this issue from day one on collecting my car and the dealers should be correcting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Robint wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:50 am I take your point but I have had this issue from day one on collecting my car and the dealers should be correcting it
Maybe so but personally £5 and 2 minutes of my time is easier and more cost effective than continuous arguing with VW over £20 Window Wipers.