Extract from Auto Express

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Extract from Auto Express

Post by silverhairs »

Taken from Auto Express 18 - 24 July 2018.

Car buyers are facing significant delays when ordering new cars as test centres struggle to certify vehicles to new Worldwide Harmonised Light Test Procedure (WLPT) emissions and economy tests. All new models introduced to the market from September must be certified according to WLTP, but a number of brands have admitted certification delays are creating supply-chain bottlenecks. The Volkswagen group says up to 250,000 cars will be delayed in the second half of the year, while Porsche previously scaled back sales due to WLTP delays, and Peugeot has paused production of the 308 GTi hot hatchback until October.
A VW spokesman said "Due to the introduction of the new WLTP test procedure in the Volkswagen Group, we expect an effect of approximately 200,000 to 250,000 vehicles in the second half of 2018, Which we will build late than originally planned."
Mike Hawes, chief executive of the society of motor manufacturers and traders (SMMT), Blamed "severe capacity constraints at test houses across the continent" for delays, adding car makers with European sales operations had only 13 months to rectify their ranges.

So to all members whether your waiting for your SEL, GTI or GTI+, you have just got to wait (including myself) :(
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Extract from Auto Express

Post by RUM4MO »

It seems that most if not all car manufacturers selling into any of the world markets did not fully understand or chose to have their own take on how deep these testing requirements would be, and that has left them running out of time.

What I'm trying to say is, previous testing would have required each engine to be tested, or maybe a bit deeper, each engine in each different platform, now it seems like it is each engine in each platform in each of these platforms selling specs, add to that the authorities don't seem to be dipping their hands into their own pockets to fund updating or building extra test houses, so each manufacturer has been left to pick that tab up themselves which must be putting an extreme strain on the equipment suppliers to these rebuilt/new build test facilities.
A bit of a win for test equipment suppliers though.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Well somebody is make plenty of money with this new WLPT. Who actually thought this idea up in the first place?
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

I have a confirmed build date of week starting 3rd September, i hope that is kept too and fufilled. I will be incredibly pissed off if it is delayed further or if i recieve a lemon. Bit of interesting information, the new 95hp tsi engine that is WLTP compliant has not only received a Particle Filter, but also Turbo and injector modifications and is noticeably more efficient than before. Source being Autogefugel.