Owner's Handbook/Manual

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
GregStudio
New
Drives: Highline 1.0 TSI 95

Re: Owner's Handbook/Manual

Post by GregStudio »

As there seems no solution to my handbook problem, I wonder if anyone can answer any of the questions below for me please? Apart from these questions, I think I've got it pretty much figured out now, although I'll never be entirely sure :)

1. On the indicator stalk there is a "P" with a sort of light symbol. Is this a parking light, if not, what is it? If it is, which light/s does it switch on, how long for and how do I activate/deactivate this feature?

2. I have the "Auto" headlights feature. When it's properly dark I can see the instrument lights and obviously the headlights on the road but during dusk or going through a tunnel, I can't. Is there some indication I'm missing which tells me when the headlights/tail-lights have switched themselves on?

3. I've just been assuming that the run-in period is 1,000kms (600 miles), can anyone confirm please?

4. This might sound silly but how do I switch the radio off? If I go to the radio screen/page, the radio plays. If I then go to say the Apple Carplay or most other screens the radio continues to play, which is fine most of the time except when I just want to switch the radio off, without affecting any other audio.

Thanks, Greg
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Post by MattB911 »

GregStudio wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:21 pm As there seems no solution to my handbook problem, I wonder if anyone can answer any of the questions below for me please? Apart from these questions, I think I've got it pretty much figured out now, although I'll never be entirely sure :)

1. On the indicator stalk there is a "P" with a sort of light symbol. Is this a parking light, if not, what is it? If it is, which light/s does it switch on, how long for and how do I activate/deactivate this feature?

2. I have the "Auto" headlights feature. When it's properly dark I can see the instrument lights and obviously the headlights on the road but during dusk or going through a tunnel, I can't. Is there some indication I'm missing which tells me when the headlights/tail-lights have switched themselves on?

3. I've just been assuming that the run-in period is 1,000kms (600 miles), can anyone confirm please?

4. This might sound silly but how do I switch the radio off? If I go to the radio screen/page, the radio plays. If I then go to say the Apple Carplay or most other screens the radio continues to play, which is fine most of the time except when I just want to switch the radio off, without affecting any other audio.

Thanks, Greg
Hi Greg,

I think I can answer some of your questions.

1. It is a parking light. When you park up push the stalk up to put turn your right front and rear lights on and down to turn your left parking lights on.

2. You should be able to tell if your headlights and rear lights are on on the dash in front of you. (A green light symbol)

3. The manual says that the engine should be run in at 1500 miles. It just says to vary the revs and not put too much load on the engine ie. Too lower gear and not above 1/3rd of the to speed of the car.

4. I'm not sure about this one but if before you turn your engine off make sure the media screen is on the Apple Car Play screen then when you turn the car on again the Apple Car Play should start with no radio screen. If you flick from radio to Apple Car Play though the radio will continue to play unless you start to play music through Spotify for example.

Hope this helps,

Matt
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

MattB911 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:37 pm 1. It is a parking light. When you park up push the stalk up to put turn your right front and rear lights on and down to turn your left parking lights on.
2. You should be able to tell if your headlights and rear lights are on on the dash in front of you. (A green light symbol)
3. The manual says that the engine should be run in at 1500 miles. It just says to vary the revs and not put too much load on the engine ie. Too lower gear and not above 1/3rd of the to speed of the car.
4. I'm not sure about this one but if before you turn your engine off make sure the media screen is on the Apple Car Play screen then when you turn the car on again the Apple Car Play should start with no radio screen.
Hi Matt, thanks for your reply, very helpful. Just to clarify though:

1. Great sorted, once I worked out the ignition has to be off.

2. Nope, no indication on the dash for the headlights, only for the highbeam. I've just now had a play with this (sun is very low and stopping under a tree is enough to trigger the lights), it seems like the light icon on the light switch turns green when the lights are on. It's not ideal having to look down there when I'm driving but at least I've got an obvious indication.

3. Oh, more than double what I thought! Do you know what it means "not above 1/3rd of the speed of the car"? It can't mean not above 1/3 of the top speed, that would mean I can't go faster than about 38mph!

4. Yep, I've been doing that, just thought there must be a way to turn the radio off once you've been to the radio screen.

Thanks again, Greg
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Post by MattB911 »

GregStudio wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:27 pm
MattB911 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:37 pm 1. It is a parking light. When you park up push the stalk up to put turn your right front and rear lights on and down to turn your left parking lights on.
4. I'm not sure about this one but if before you turn your engine off make sure the media screen is on the Apple Car Play screen then when you turn the car on again the Apple Car Play should start with no radio screen.
Hi Matt, thanks for your reply, very helpful. Just to clarify though:

1. Great sorted, once I worked out the ignition has to be off.

2. Nope, no indication on the dash for the headlights, only for the highbeam. I've just now had a play with this (sun is very low and stopping under a tree is enough to trigger the lights), it seems like the light icon on the light switch turns green when the lights are on. It's not ideal having to look down there when I'm driving but at least I've got an obvious indication.

3. Oh, more than double what I thought! Do you know what it means "not above 1/3rd of the speed of the car"? It can't mean not above 1/3 of the top speed, that would mean I can't go faster than about 38mph!

4. Yep, I've been doing that, just thought there must be a way to turn the radio off once you've been to the radio screen.

Thanks again, Greg
Hi Greg

Glad that it's cleared up some of your questions.

I've just realised what I put about the speed, I meant 2/3rds of the top speed. My bad.

Thanks,

Matt
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

MattB911 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:54 pmI've just realised what I put about the speed, I meant 2/3rds of the top speed. My bad.
Much more reasonable. My bad too though, I've gone quite a bit above that a couple of times.

Thanks again, Greg
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

I don't suppose there are many, or maybe anyone, in my position with the handbook but just in case: I got a friend to translate the running-in section of the handbook as I was a bit disturbed by what @MattB911 posted. Maybe his handbook is significantly different to mine on account of him having a GTI engine as opposed to my 1.0Tsi 95hp engine but paraphrasing my friend's translation:

Run-in period is 1,500 KMs (not 1,500 miles). From 0-1,000 KMs: Don't use more than 2/3 of max RPM (which I take to mean don't exceed 4,300RPM). Don't labour the engine, use a lower gear. Vary RPM, don't cruise at a constant RPM for extended periods. From 1,000 -1,500 KMs: When the engine is at full running temperature, gradually increase the engine loading, throttle and RPM used, up to the maximum permissible (which I assume is the 6,500RPM beginning of the red line).

Greg
p0l0man
New
Drives: polo2018

Post by p0l0man »

I've noticed that there a few genuine 2018 VW Polo handbook/manuals available on Ebay (UK) for about 16 GB pounds each.
Perhaps you could buy one of these, if the owner will post one to you abroad.

Like other people, I cannot download a manual from the VW site, and have complained to my dealer.
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've not had much luck in the past with deliveries here from eBay UK or Amazon UK, they either just won't ship in the first place or they will ship but for some reason it never arrives. I'll still check out your eBay suggestion though. If you hear anything back from your dealer about downloading a manual, please let me know.

Cheers, Greg