Owner's Handbook/Manual

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
GregStudio
New
Drives: Highline 1.0 TSI 95

Owner's Handbook/Manual

Post by GregStudio »

Hi Everyone. I picked up my new Polo yesterday and so far I'm very pleased with it. I have a problem though, I'm a British expat living in Macedonia and therefore the supplied manual/handbook is in Macedonian, which I don't read. I asked the dealer if it was possible to get a manual in English but the answer was "no". I've searched this forum (and google) for a downloadable version and found a couple of VW websites where downloading the manual (in PDF format) is possible, volkswagen.co.uk and vwpartsandservice.com but neither recognises my VIN, presumably because one is VW UK, the other appears to be VW USA and my polo appears to be specific to this country/region (model is: AW14LVX5).

I'm hoping that someone here either:
1. Knows of a more global VW website which will accept my VIN and allow me to download an English manual or
2. Knows of anywhere else I can download a Polo (2018) manual or
3. Be kind enough to email me a copy of their manual.

BTW, my Polo is a 1.0TSI 95, 5 speed manual in the Highline spec, which annoyingly appears to be somewhat different to the Highline spec in other countries. It's somewhere between an SE and SEL spec in the UK. For example, standard Highline equipment: Rear camera, auto lights, armrest, 15" alloys (Salou), dual zone auto climate control, "Tracks 2" sports/comfy seats but no SatNav, parking sensors or cruise control.

In the meantime, how do I reset the average fuel consumption on the MFD? It seems to only show the average full consumption since I picked-up the car, not the average for the trip (even though I've reset the trip computer).

Thanks in advance for any help/info/advice,
Greg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Owner's Handbook/Manual

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's a lot of stuff to scan in as the manual is hefty, would be quicker for someone here in the UK to provide you with their VIN so you can download it yourself from volkswagen.co.uk. i'll pm you mine tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Or someone to download the manual with their VIN and email you the PDF.

Not sure if your steering wheel will work exactly the same as mine, as I have the flat bottomed GTI variant, but in driver information mode (which shows fuel economy), you can cycle between trip, since last fill and historic by pressing the "OK" button on the right side cluster of buttons on the steering wheel. To reset any of the stats within each, you press and hold the OK button.

I'm assuming you see these stats on a little centre display between the dials on the instrument cluster (I have active display on my GTI+, so display might work slightly differently).
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

It would be awesome to have manual in PDF :) please share it with us :D
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

Yep, I know the manual is hefty, I've got one but it's in Cyrillic! I was thinking along the lines of someone emailing me the PDF they had already downloaded. If someone is willing to give me their VIN then that's great too, I didn't ask because I don't know if there are any safety concerns giving your VIN to a stranger.

I noticed in my MFD that it states the Average fuel consumption is "Since Last Refuel", however, pressing the OK button on the steering wheel doesn't seem to change to change it at all. And neither does holding the OK button down for a few secs.

Thanks for your offer of sending me your VIN, I'll certainly take you up on it if no one else has a model more similar to mine.

Thanks again, Greg
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am There's a lot of stuff to scan in as the manual is hefty, would be quicker for someone here in the UK to provide you with their VIN so you can download it yourself from volkswagen.co.uk. i'll pm you mine tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Or someone to download the manual with their VIN and email you the PDF.

Not sure if your steering wheel will work exactly the same as mine, as I have the flat bottomed GTI variant, but in driver information mode (which shows fuel economy), you can cycle between trip, since last fill and historic by pressing the "OK" button on the right side cluster of buttons on the steering wheel. To reset any of the stats within each, you press and hold the OK button.

I'm assuming you see these stats on a little centre display between the dials on the instrument cluster (I have active display on my GTI+, so display might work slightly differently).
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I Just tried downloading via https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals trying both the registration and VIN Number but got the message back both times: "Unfortunately, this service is not available at this time. Please try again later"

Be interesting to know if anyone else has been successful in downloading..
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

roywolfey wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:06 pm I Just tried downloading via https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals trying both the registration and VIN Number but got the message back both times: "Unfortunately, this service is not available at this time. Please try again later"

Be interesting to know if anyone else has been successful in downloading..
I’m not able to download the pdf version either, been trying since start of August and it always says same as above.
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

roywolfey wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:06 pmBe interesting to know if anyone else has been successful in downloading..
Cadwest wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 pmI’m not able to download the pdf version either, been trying since start of August and it always says same as above.
That's interesting, I just assumed it wasn't working for me as my VIN would not relate to a British model. Have either of you tried the vwpartsandservice.com site? Specifically this page: https://www.vwserviceandparts.com/digit ... rs-manual/

Greg
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

GregStudio wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:05 pm
roywolfey wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:06 pmBe interesting to know if anyone else has been successful in downloading..
Cadwest wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 pmI’m not able to download the pdf version either, been trying since start of August and it always says same as above.
That's interesting, I just assumed it wasn't working for me as my VIN would not relate to a British model. Have either of you tried the vwpartsandservice.com site? Specifically this page: https://www.vwserviceandparts.com/digit ... rs-manual/

Greg
Nope does not work on vwserviceandparts either for me.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

The manual is awful, really awful. Most pages are full of absurd warnings such as “Warning. Do not drive over people as it can be dangerous” and “Warning, do not drink the petrol”. Okay I exaggerate a bit, but not by much. I find it very hard to use, and uninformative.

As regards mpg, dunno, mine seems to be from the start of the current journey. I have the same car, but mid range SE.
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

Cadwest wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:27 pmNope does not work on vwserviceandparts either for me.
That's annoying, thanks for trying though. So I'm assuming no one has a pdf of the manual and I'll just have to live with not knowing all the functions/details of my Polo, unless anyone else has any other suggestions?
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 amNot sure if your steering wheel will work exactly the same as mine, as I have the flat bottomed GTI variant, but in driver information mode (which shows fuel economy), you can cycle between trip, since last fill and historic by pressing the "OK" button on the right side cluster of buttons on the steering wheel. To reset any of the stats within each, you press and hold the OK button.
I double checked this and my previous response was wrong. Pressing the OK button does cycle through some average fuel consumptions: "Since Start". "Long Term" and "Since Last Refuel". So apparently I can't reset it manually, without refuelling. It would have been nice to be able to reset it per trip. BTW, the reason I thought the OK button wasn't doing anything is because the average consumption figure is the same for all three, being as the car is brand new and is still on it's first ever fuelling. I don't suppose you (or anyone else) knows what "Long term" means, what period it covers/when it resets itself?
Leif wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 pmThe manual is awful, really awful. .. I find it very hard to use, and uninformative.
I bet it's not as uninformative and hard to use as having it in Cyrillic! :)

I'm fairly used to terrible manuals, I've had a number of manuals of Japanese electronics in the past which seem like they've been translated with an early beta of the first version of google translate! Nevertheless, I hate not knowing all the potential options/functions and having to rely on just coming across something by accident, even if it's a real slog to get useful info from the manual. Maybe it's habit from my work but it's really winding me up that I don't have a decipherable manual. My experience of the car itself is excellent so far though.

Greg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Long term has a reset interval if you don't reset it earlier, which (if I remember rightly on the Golf) is 100 hours drive time.makres sense that you can't reset the "since refuel" stat between fuelling.
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

Leif wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 pm The manual is awful, really awful. Most pages are full of absurd warnings such as “Warning. Do not drive over people as it can be dangerous” and “Warning, do not drink the petrol”. Okay I exaggerate a bit, but not by much. I find it very hard to use, and uninformative.

As regards mpg, dunno, mine seems to be from the start of the current journey. I have the same car, but mid range SE.
This is because of idiots in campers who use cruise control and then go make a cup of tea. They sued the manufacturer as it specifically didn't say you could not leave the steering wheel unattended in cruise control. On top of that they won like $14M or something ridiculous on top of a recall to all manuals for them to mod.

This was probably in America, but still, it's crazy
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Poachersun wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:04 pm
Leif wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 pm The manual is awful, really awful. Most pages are full of absurd warnings such as “Warning. Do not drive over people as it can be dangerous” and “Warning, do not drink the petrol”. Okay I exaggerate a bit, but not by much. I find it very hard to use, and uninformative.

This is because of idiots in campers who use cruise control and then go make a cup of tea. They sued the manufacturer as it specifically didn't say you could not leave the steering wheel unattended in cruise control. On top of that they won like $14M or something ridiculous on top of a recall to all manuals for them to mod.

This was probably in America, but still, it's crazy
I assumed it was for legal reasons, but I thought it was being over cautious, but perhaps not!
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

Leif wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 pmAs regards mpg, dunno, mine seems to be from the start of the current journey. I have the same car, but mid range SE.
It makes sense for it to be that way, IE. After a set period of not driving (say 2 hours for example) the car thinks it's a new journey and resets it's average MPG or, the average MPG resets with the trip computer. As far as I'm aware, there is no fundamental difference between your and my car, I would think all the software and everything else is basically the same, with the only difference being the combination of standard equipment which comprises each model spec (EG. SE vs Comfortline). So, I think there's maybe some setting somewhere to get my car to do what your's does and reset at the start of the current journey.

On a side note, much of what I'm used to in the UK is backwards here. When I embarked on buying a car, I was thinking of getting a 3-4 year old Golf or Focus but used car prices here are a good 25% higher than in the UK, while new car prices seem quite a lower lower. My new Polo Highline was about the same price as a 4 year old Golf Comfortline with moderate mileage, weird! Furthermore, some of the new cars prices seem to be backwards. I looked carefully at three equivalent makes/models before buying; a Fiesta Titanium (100hp, manual), a Seat Ibiza FR (TSI 95hp, manual) and a Polo Highline (also TSI 95, manual). The Polo worked out about ₤1,500 cheaper than the Fiesta and about ₤300 cheaper than the Ibiza. For what I was looking for, not only was the Polo clearly the best of the three but it was also the cheapest, a complete no brainer.

Greg
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

VW do have a few instruction video's on you tube. I'll try and find the site. They have German personnel telling you about the radio, sat nav. DSG gearbox operation and how to use it properly. Wipers, Adaptive cruise control, and many other topics on the car, but not just Polo although most things are the same throughout the range of VW motors. Though they are German instructors, there is somebody talking over in English.
There are a few good tips, I'll try and find the site and post it for you.