Update to infotainment system?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Update to infotainment system?

Post by brainbow »

I know it’s early days but as a few have mentioned the infotainment system is a little buggy. Particularly on apple carplay.

So just wondered if anyone knows if there is an update to the system we can dl ourselves and install?

Cheers :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Update to infotainment system?

Post by SRGTD »

Pretty certain that if there are any software updates to VW infotainment systems, they’re not available to owners to download and install themselves (other than map updates for sat nav systems).

If you’re having issues with yours, sometimes a hard reset will resolve minor issues, so worth trying that first. If that doesn’t work, then check with the dealer to see if there are any software updates that the dealer can apply to your infotainment unit.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Good luck. 3 years on and my car still has a infotainment bug. Numerous software updates to try and cure it but to no avail. (using an ipod with a usb lead) I use sd cards instead.
Was often told as soon as a fix was available I'd be told.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Since new (09/17) the wife’s Seat Ibiza (which I believe is the same unit) has had a severe Bluetooth echo, random android and CarPlay disconnections and lock ups. Seat have finally agreed to replace the unit after replacing the Bluetooth speaker and microphone and several software updates, in total they have had the car in for five weeks. This occurred on multiple phones and operating systems.
My advice is to keep at them as they seem slow to replace the unit under warranty, I believe other people have now had their units replaced on the Ibiza forum who have suffered similar issues to yourself.
GregStudio
New
Drives: Highline 1.0 TSI 95

Post by GregStudio »

brainbow wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 pmI know it’s early days but as a few have mentioned the infotainment system is a little buggy. Particularly on apple carplay.
I've read this a few times and I was a bit concerned about it before I got my Polo. I've had no problems at all, with the exception that Apple Maps won't give me spoken turn by turn directions but after some research I discovered it's an Apple issue, spoken directions isn't yet supported in my country (roll -on IOS 12 and Google Maps on carplay!). Admittedly, I've only had my Polo about 10 days and done about 500 miles but most of those miles were in the city, so I've spent quite a bit of time in it so far. Furthermore, much of that time has been with two iPhones plugged in, mine on Apple Carplay for directions, phone calls, etc., and my wife's plugged into USB 2 for charging and connected via BT for music playback. From what I'd read, I assumed this setup would be at least a little flaky or simply not work at all but it's been absolutely flawless.

I know this is no consolation to you, but it indicates that the infotainment system can work perfectly and therefore that any buggy behaviour might be difficult to locate, identify or fix, or might even be more to do with the individual iPhone model or settings rather than specifically a VW problem.

Greg
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

That’s a good point about the phones or phone settings being the cause of issues rather than the infotainment units themselves being faulty. Cheap eBay lightning cables can also cause issues.

Always worth trying a different phone / lightning cable to eliminate these sources as the reason for any ‘bugginess’ before approaching the dealer.
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:39 amCheap eBay lightning cables can also cause issues.
Always worth trying a different phone / lightning cable to eliminate these sources as the reason for any ‘bugginess’ before approaching the dealer.
I remember reading a thread somewhere where people were saying vw carplay was only reliable using Apple's own lightening cables. Another reason why I thought I'd have issues, as my wife and I only had 6ft Anker lightning cables. Again I've had no problems at all, although the Anker cables are MFi certified whereas the cheap eBay ones probably aren't. It's certainly worth trying a different cable and iPhone if possible though.

Greg
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Yes cheap lightning cables will cause connection issues with CarPlay and an iPhone. I have had significantly less issue since swapping round the DashCam and iPhone USB connections and using an Apple cable. Coincidence? Maybe. I still get gremlins from time to time, but not many. Apple are not without bugs so some if not all issues might be due to the iPhone.
Wooly89
New
Drives: 2018 ps65

Post by Wooly89 »

Just a little tid bit I found the other day in the owners manual/infotainment manual. This could help with Car Play issues. It says the 1st USB slot (from left to right) is the priority for Car Play connections. This may well only be a problem if multiple USB devices are used in your car though.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Wooly89 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:13 pm Just a little tid bit I found the other day in the owners manual/infotainment manual. This could help with Car Play issues. It says the 1st USB slot (from left to right) is the priority for Car Play connections. This may well only be a problem if multiple USB devices are used in your car though.
Nice find. I now have my iPhone on USB 1 with less issues so now I know why. Not sure I understand the details though as the other is for the dashcam which is a power only connection, but maybe there are issues with power stability since I assume it is powered from the battery. Perhaps the first USB is chosen to have constant power when the total power is not enough to supply both sockets. Just a guess. But an unexpected power drop would be consistent with CarPlay resetting.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

Thanks for all the comments, it’s not a show stopper just wondered about software updates.

You are all right though. Some issues could be related to cables and the iPhone itself.

Looking forward to iOS 12 and the prospect of Google maps
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Wooly89 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:13 pm Just a little tid bit I found the other day in the owners manual/infotainment manual. This could help with Car Play issues. It says the 1st USB slot (from left to right) is the priority for Car Play connections. This may well only be a problem if multiple USB devices are used in your car though.
I checked my owners manual and it is all rather vague. It says the sockets depend on the car and that the one with a USB (2?) symbol next to it is the data socket. Mine has a symbol to the right of USB 2. But USB 1 works best. Eh? To be honest the manual is pants, at least my version is, so vague and so often it says "Refer to page X" and page X says to refer to page Y for details and so on.
GregStudio
New

Post by GregStudio »

On my Polo, both USB sockets run both data and charging simultaneously. My Polo will run Carplay on whichever iPhone is plugged in first, if my wife plugs her iPhone into USB2 before I plug mine into USB1, her phone will connect with carplay. I now plug mine in first (into USB1), which runs carplay, then my wife plugs her iPhone into USB2. Her iPhone charges and she can choose her iPhone as a media source, either via BT or as a USB device. I did a 4 hour round trip a couple of days ago with my iPhone providing directions from Apple Maps via carplay, while the wife's iPhone played music for the whole trip, connected as a USB device (BT was switched off). Both of us arrived with 100% charged phones and the system worked as hoped/expected; when I received a phone call on my phone (handsfree through carplay), her music quickly faded to mute and then faded back up again when the call was disconnected.

Greg
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

It's pretty amazing when it works well. I recall being gobsmacked when I received a call while driving. I'd done absolutely nothing to configure it for hands free calls, it just worked.