Tyre pressure warning light question

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Tyre pressure warning light question

Post by JohnF »

Today I suffered the tyre pressure loss light come on. I got out expecting to see a tyre showing some evidence of reduced pressure, but there was none.

Referring to the manual page 233 did not explain what to do in this scenario. It goes on about "synchronising the tyre pressure loss indicator"

I checked the pressures 5 days ago prior to going away for a few days. The pressures were correct so I did not have to change them at all (one of 3 scenarios which require sychronising) Therefore the manual was useless, as I didn't actually know whether there was problem or not.

So all I could do was call out the VW Roadside Assistance (good service). The guy who came, after looking at the tyres agreed with me, that they were ok. He then asked me if my dealer had explained to me how to "reset" the system in this situation when I bought the car. I said no.

Comments anyone?
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Re: Tyre pressure warning light question

Post by Robint »

I got nothing from my dealer friends with this tell me not to turn it on otherwise you will be checking tyres continuously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

How cold was it down your way today? These tyre pressure monitors (TPM) are pretty sensitive - a relatively small change in rolling circumference caused by a change in tyre pressure sets it off, and that change (usually a decrease - don't think it is triggered by an increase) in tyre pressure can be triggered by a significant drop in ambient temperature. I usually have to reset the TPM when winter weather sets in, and have had to on my last 5 VAG cars, although 3 of them have had a reset button in the glovebox rather than scrolling through the car settings menus. It is always on. Yu might end up resetting a few times a year as temps change.

If you reset and then a short while later you have to check again, the tyre has a puncture or the sensors monitoring rolling circumference (XDS/ABS) have an issue.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

I believe if you "check" the tyre pressures you must reset afterwards as you have "changed" the stored pressures. I am guessing you didn't reset it after checking and the computer is noticing a change and throwing the error at you. Hopefully a reset will cure your nagging problem, mine is in the car settings, not a button as on previous cars :-)
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm How cold was it down your way today? These tyre pressure monitors (TPM) are pretty sensitive - a relatively small change in rolling circumference caused by a change in tyre pressure sets it off, and that change (usually a decrease - don't think it is triggered by an increase) in tyre pressure can be triggered by a significant drop in ambient temperature. I usually have to reset the TPM when winter weather sets in, and have had to on my last 5 VAG cars, although 3 of them have had a reset button in the glovebox rather than scrolling through the car settings menus. It is always on. Yu might end up resetting a few times a year as temps change.

If you reset and then a short while later you have to check again, the tyre has a puncture or the sensors monitoring rolling circumference (XDS/ABS) have an issue.
No great change in the temperature on the day in question. All I did a few days previously was to check the pressures with a guage.The action of connecting the guage would release some air of course but only a tiny amount surely. I didn't put any air back in. In any case I did 400 miles after that check with no warning, so this would seem to indicate that my pressure check is not relevant?