iOS 12 and CarPlay

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

iOS 12 and CarPlay

Post by roywolfey »

Now with extra added Google Maps. :)

Waze is on its way from what I read.
Attachments
3FBB2D0B-195B-4018-8382-115658211EF1.jpg
Last edited by roywolfey on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: iOS 12 and CarPlay

Post by Dan34 »

So far so good with Google Maps, been a long time coming!

Waze still in beta but apparently should be live within the next 1-2 weeks.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

Yes Waze is also coming to CarPlay in November so apple are finally catching up with android auto. I have talk activation on my car and if I press the the talk button once it activates the car speech system but if I hold it down it activates ok google speech and I believe this also works on CarPlay as well.

Edit: Waze gives speed camera warning both on screen and a audible warning as well if you have crept over the speed limit.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Cadwest wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:30 am Yes Waze is also coming to CarPlay in November so apple are finally catching up with android auto. I have talk activation on my car and if I press the the talk button once it activates the car speech system but if I hold it down it activates ok google speech and I believe this also works on CarPlay as well.

Edit: Waze gives speed camera warning both on screen and a audible warning as well if you have crept over the speed limit.
Hi, Thank you for the info 2 things, 1. is it possible if I do not have talk activation enabled to hold the talk button down and enable ok google speech? 2. Waze when finally arrived will it just appear on a current system if the app is on my iPhone or will a infotainment software update be required? I don't know why you would know, I am just asking in case you know.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

Waze should appear automatically on CarPlay once Waze itself updates its app just remember that you have to update to iOS 12 to get google maps and the forthcoming Waze update. As for holding down the talk button to activate Siri someone else who does not have speech activated will have to test that for you mate.
Dan34
Getting There!

Post by Dan34 »

Waze is available now, used it on the way to work this morning.
roywolfey
Silver Member

Post by roywolfey »

Dan34 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 am Waze is available now, used it on the way to work this morning.
Thanks for the tip. :D

Just downloading the update now and will use it on the way home, and forever more. lol.
roywolfey
Silver Member

Post by roywolfey »

Dan34 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 am Waze is available now, used it on the way to work this morning.
Tried out Waze. I was kinda hoping that it would show current speed and speed limit as it does on the phone screen. :?

But otherwise all good. :D
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

roywolfey wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:18 pm
Tried out Waze. I was kinda hoping that it would show current speed and speed limit as it does on the phone screen. :?

Android auto shows these, I presume you’ve gone through the settings, if not available now I’m sure Waze will add them.
Dan34
Getting There!

Post by Dan34 »

roywolfey wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Yeah same here with the speed thing. Weirdly on the top right of the screen I can just about see the top part of a red circle but its mostly covered by the black directions banner thing, so i'm wondering if its a bug and it is actually meant to show it! Hopefully they'll update the app again soon.

Either way I much prefer having it on the headunit rather than my phone :)