How to change the light bulb?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Luka
New
Drives: AW1

How to change the light bulb?

Post by Luka »

I've been searching online for a guide but couldn't find one. Anyone able to help out? As far as I know the previous models had to have the whole headlight assembly removed just to change the bulb.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: How to change the light bulb?

Post by iichel »

I have no clue, but just to clarify, Halogen of LED headlights?
Luka
New

Post by Luka »

Halogen. Those stock yellow bulbs are ugly as heck. I really want to replace them with Philips white vision but if I need to take it to the shop every time to change those, then that's a problem because those white vision bulbs don't last long in my experience.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Maybe you could have a look at the headlight, after you've taken it out. But I don't know how to do this.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Surely, some members would have the new Polo manual, and could give you the information, but as I read it, you have to give VW your VIN number before they send you a manual.
One of the joys of the internet and of VW saving money and not putting one in every new car. Do they put a handbook in the cars glove box, or is that what people are calling the manual?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that the rules changed regarding needing to be able to replace any/all of the mandated bulbs at the roadside with a minimum of tools and expertise.

The Previous Polo 6C only needed maybe 2 screws to be removed and the head light assembly could be moved forward, lead unplugged and the assembly taken out fully to allow you to replace any of the bulbs, then refitted again without affecting the headlight alignment, unless of course you fitted extremely low quality bulbs which might cause head light aim issues. I'm sure that the previous Polo had these instructions in the driver's handbook.

Okay, it turned out that it was not quite as easy as that to get the head light assemblies out, but it was still possible though you probably end up with sore/bruised hands! I did check this out after being prompted by someone on the 6C section of this forum. I hope that VW improved the design of the fog lights on this Polo as it was just too easy to damage/break the trim on the 6C Polo fog lights removing them as instructed!

Edit:- I have a set of head light removal tools which can get into narrow spaces and grip the rear of the head light covers to assist in removing them without causing any paintwork damage, but so far I've only needed to use them on rear lamp clusters.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Pages from the manual..
Attachments
Lights_1.jpg
Lights_2.jpg
Lights_3.jpg
Last edited by roywolfey on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
CP_Vaughny
New
Drives: R-Line 2019

Post by CP_Vaughny »

Does that confirm the headlight fitting is H7?
Radz
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI Night Blue

Post by Radz »

Hey guys.

Just to confirm, the lamp is indeed H7 and here is a small video that shows how to remove the headlight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmvEHYNnh4

Sorry, but the video is not in English, but he says that you just need to remove two screws and unplug the socket in order to remove the headlight. It needs a hard push in order to make it loose. And the same hard push to put it back in place.

Hope that helps! =)

Regards
Luka
New

Post by Luka »

I hate this. They make it just that much more complicated so people who are not handy with this sort of stuff need to go to the dealer to replace it. :evil:

Thanks for the video, helps a ton!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes I forgot the bit about needing to push the light cluster out, good luck with that, I just hope that the latest Polo has been designed a bit better with task in mind, hitting pushing from behind is okay as long as the item you need to hit/push is easily accessible and is shaped to accept a hit/push, the previous Polo,ie 6C certainly was not, and so you could end up with hurting yourself a bit, which might be okay if you like pain!
neomer
New
Drives: 2018 Polo MSI 1.6

Post by neomer »

I`m willing to change my light bulbs too but it`s a pain in the *ss...

You`ll have to remove the wheel`s plastic cover to do so in order to change the low bulbs, it`s impossible to fit a human hand there to remove the covers and the bulbs. I did changed the aux lights for xenon and they have almost the same issue, so it will take some time to do it, be patient.
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

I have changed the bulb about 5 times on my Polo SE - its like the easiest job ever!

If you want step-by-steps PM me as I am about to change them back over to stock due to my rejection :D
Leoniums
New
Drives: 2018, Pure White, Highline, DSG

Post by Leoniums »

sry but.... rejection for what reason?
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

Seatbelt not working as it should