How to change the light bulb?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CP_Vaughny
New
Drives: R-Line 2019

Re: How to change the light bulb?

Post by CP_Vaughny »

neomer wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:26 am I`m willing to change my light bulbs too but it`s a pain in the *ss...

You`ll have to remove the wheel`s plastic cover to do so in order to change the low bulbs, it`s impossible to fit a human hand there to remove the covers and the bulbs. I did changed the aux lights for xenon and they have almost the same issue, so it will take some time to do it, be patient.
Are the bulbs in the bumper H7 too?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

if you mean fog light then no they are H8
PoloBlack
New
Drives: Polo Beats

Post by PoloBlack »

wizzywig27 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am I have changed the bulb about 5 times on my Polo SE - its like the easiest job ever!

If you want step-by-steps PM me as I am about to change them back over to stock due to my rejection :D
Hey WizzyWig27,

I’ve managed to unbolt the screws holding my headlight unit to the body of the car, and slide the headlight out...I couldn’t figure out how to detach the power lead from the unit, or how to remove the bulbs from the holders - any tips would be very much appreciated!
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

PoloBlack wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:09 pm
wizzywig27 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am I have changed the bulb about 5 times on my Polo SE - its like the easiest job ever!

If you want step-by-steps PM me as I am about to change them back over to stock due to my rejection :D
Hey WizzyWig27,

I’ve managed to unbolt the screws holding my headlight unit to the body of the car, and slide the headlight out...I couldn’t figure out how to detach the power lead from the unit, or how to remove the bulbs from the holders - any tips would be very much appreciated!
The connector is just a case of pressing the tab in and then pull the connector backwards off the light. The bulb just pulls out. I used a small set of needle nose pliers and pulled on one of the legs of the bulb and it pops out.
PoloBlack
New
Drives: Polo Beats

Post by PoloBlack »

Nodster wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:26 pm
PoloBlack wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:09 pm

Hey WizzyWig27,

The connector is just a case of pressing the tab in and then pull the connector backwards off the light. The bulb just pulls out. I used a small set of needle nose pliers and pulled on one of the legs of the bulb and it pops out.
Thank you Nodster the bulbs are changed!
AHA polo
New
Drives: 2018 Polo 1.0 SEL

Post by AHA polo »

Sorry to revive an old thread but tried to remove my headlights today to switch the bulbs and loosening them was easy but no way were they coming out as the front bumper seems to overlap the bottom of the headlight. Mines a 2018 SEL so might have different front bumper?

My last Polo was easy, 2 minute job.

It looks like I’ll have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights which is crazy, anyone able to help?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

AHA polo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:16 pm Sorry to revive an old thread but tried to remove my headlights today to switch the bulbs and loosening them was easy but no way were they coming out as the front bumper seems to overlap the bottom of the headlight. Mines a 2018 SEL so might have different front bumper?

My last Polo was easy, 2 minute job.

It looks like I’ll have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights which is crazy, anyone able to help?
Changed bulbs in my 2018 Beats and 2020 Gti.
They do come out, nothing obstructs them, they just need a good thump at the rear to release the plastic guide tabs at the bottom edge.
It is a good idea to put a cloth on the bumper, as the headlights don't have to fall down very far on their way out to scratch the paint.
Also be aware that you may get misty headlights after doing this.
Both my AW Polos have suffered from misty headlights after changing the bulbs, god only knows why.
AHA polo
New

Post by AHA polo »

Thanks Andy Beats, I managed to get them out by slipping a couple of old plastic store cards underneath first to get them to rise over the obstruction. When I got them out I found my problem, someone has previously removed the front bumper and not put it back correctly so the two big tabs that are just under the headlights weren’t fitted into the housing, but over it. Was a right pig to get it corrected as had to remove wheel arch liner and bumper supports but just about there now!
76A5A207-25A4-41E3-93D8-2536FF036410.jpeg
76A5A207-25A4-41E3-93D8-2536FF036410.jpeg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
AHA polo
New

Post by AHA polo »

That’s better!
62CB4BA4-13F5-46AE-9903-94C92FC120BF.jpeg
62CB4BA4-13F5-46AE-9903-94C92FC120BF.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1442 times
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

That's a worry, why would anyone have had the bumper off before...?
AHA polo
New

Post by AHA polo »

Don’t know but guess for re painting. Everything is straight and looks original underneath, the right side of the plastic bumper does seem to have a bit more orange peel effect than the left side but you only notice if you look really close. Sorted now anyway!