Car-net (or lack of)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Car-net (or lack of)

Post by MilgeS »

Morning all, I have been waiting for my dealer to reply after I couldn't get Carnet to work, VIN numbers not recognised, but got impatient and contacted VW myself.

They replied this morning saying my cars aren't compatible, yet the brochure lists it as standard technology.

Am I being thick thinking Android Auto is actually Carnet, or is this something else wrong in the brochures?
Ramos
New
Drives: 2018

Re: Car-net (or lack of)

Post by Ramos »

I think car net and android auto/Apple car play are all different.

Some models like S will come with car net (drivers convenience info and driving info and Bluetooth etc) but not with smartphone mirroring.

SE and above do.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense now, if only VW had explained it to me that way, many thanks :)
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

It's VW's fault for all the confusion.

So VW calls the Android Auto, Apple Carplay and MirrorLink functions as CarNet AppConnect. With this function, no registration on the website is required, it's all plug and play, device, usb cable and voila it all works.

Then there's the CarNet Guide & Inform (comes with Discover Navigation). If you spec the car with inbuilt satnav, you will get this feature. You register with the VIN on the website then you can send destinations to your car from the website online, get nearby fuel station prices, live traffic updates, news and map updates. The downside is that you have to provide your own internet connection for the car using either a phone hotspot or a VW dongle with a SIM and data plan to pull down all the information.

Depending on how you spec your Polo, it will contain either one or both of the above features. VW also offers CarNet Security & Service which is available on other models just to further confuse the hell out for all owners. You can read that here: http://volkswagen-carnet.com/gb/en/star ... rview.html