New price list and wltp

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

New price list and wltp

Post by albob »

There is a new Polo price list on the VW Uk website (dated 20/09).

The 1.0 tsi engine is now listed as WLTP approved - Nothing for the 2.0 litre or non-tsi engines.

However in another part of the brochure all models are listed as WLTP approved ???!!

Only looked at the WLTP bit - not checked for price changes......
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Re: New price list and wltp

Post by TElwoody »

The stated fuel economy figures have changed, 2019 MPG figures and CO2 figures
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

albob wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:48 pm There is a new Polo price list on the VW Uk website (dated 20/09).

The 1.0 tsi engine is now listed as WLTP approved - Nothing for the 2.0 litre or non-tsi engines.

However in another part of the brochure all models are listed as WLTP approved ???!!

Only looked at the WLTP bit - not checked for price changes......
Perhaps tested in house with equivalent rigs but not yet confirmed officially with external testing. Will have to have a look and see how much the economy figures have changed as i'm seriously underwhelmed by my GTI's mpg - only a few mpg like for like better than my Golf R.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

If you drive your GTI like a boy racer, you should expect low MPG, a light right foot, gives you more MPG :roll:
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

My Golf R used to average around 30-34MPG. Extremely easy to average over 40MPG in the GTI+ and thats on a tight new engine. My golf had about 20k on it when I bought it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dan34 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm My Golf R used to average around 30-34MPG. Extremely easy to average over 40MPG in the GTI+ and thats on a tight new engine. My golf had about 20k on it when I bought it.
MPG is relative to the person's driving style and commute, but as a direct comparison with my Golf R, driven with the same style, which is always in "Race" mode (the R has this mode instead of "Sport" mode which is on the Polo GTI/Golf GTI/Golf GTD), I take that to work and I get 34mpg there and 31mpg back (I took it yesterday). At the moment in the Polo, doing the same journeys at the same time, i'm getting 35/36 mpg to work and 33mpg home. The Polo is in individual mode with everything set to Sport but the suspension (normal). The Golf is about 120kg heavier than the Polo, most of that being the Haldex 4WD and bigger brakes, but does use RON99 fuel.

If anything, I drive the Golf harder to get up a sliproad and onto the motorway and maintain my speed (including one stretch of the Newcastle Central Motorway (A167(M) which sees you enter and leave via the outside lane, so you have to be quick to drop into the fast lane from a 40mph road!), but can use the manual box more intelligently than the DSG is to conserve momentum once moving. You do end up using the brakes more with DSG as there's not much engine braking going on when you take your foot off the accelerator.

If I try eco mode, most I get is a 1mpg gain, from those downhill sections that are steep enough to overcome coasting friction/air drag, but not so steep that you brake to stop increase in speed and in doing do the car comes out of coasting mode.

I do wonder whether for comparison's sake, those getting mega-mpg are sat doing dot-on 70 on the motorway for most of their travelling, have really racked up the miles and the car has loosened up significantly, are on significantly longer journeys than me (13 mile commute), or even whether the Bridgestone Turanzas on Brescia wheels have a very high rolling resistance compared to the Michelin Primacy tyres (so those on 17" wheels see better mpg). So many variables, but minimising those variables in my R vs Polo GTI, I did expect the Polo to be 15-20% better than it is for me. What driving mode do you use, and do you see significantly better mpg in Eco mode? I don't, and when I put that think blue trainer on, I am scoring 95-98 most of the time.

Also, how many GTI owners here have the rough running when driving at a crawl from cold, whether it be creeping out of a company car park to go home, driving gingerly off your drive onto a main road etc? I know BarryWi has alluded to it when getting off his drive, and it happens to me when leaving work, until I get out of the 10mph limit car park and get up to normal driving speeds. Just wondering if I have a minor misfire that is most noticeable when at low engine speeds in 1st, or whether the DSG box is hunting between 1st/2nd or varying degres of clamping/unclamping the clutch. My manual R does not run rough even briefly, from cold at low speeds.

The Polo does seem more suited to motorway speeds (economy wise) than the R - at 80mph, the R is doing 3100rpm in 6th vs 2400rpm in the Polo, the fuel economy really drops off in the R above 65mph due to the gearing.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:44 pm If you drive your GTI like a boy racer, you should expect low MPG, a light right foot, gives you more MPG :roll:
Replying to "monkeyhanger" and his low MPG in his GTI. unfortunately "Monkeyhanger" and "Mike SEL" both have stopped seeing my posts, but he has posted that he always has his GTI in race mode !!! And he's moaning about low MPG.

"Boy racer"
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Crikey that was quite the reply haha.

I’m just saying what my experience is for MPG with both cars. The comparisons were both over the same journey/commute, with the same fuel and both being DSG. Also same driving style as it’s me driving both.

I’m just surprised you do not find yours any different from your R. Did you own your R from new? Also how did you run your polo in? I made sure to vary the revs a lot in mine and not afraid to use a lot of the revs as I understand this aids a better run in engine that uses less oil and fuel. I can say that is the case for mine so far, not used a drop of oil really when I last checked.
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:37 pm
silverhairs wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:44 pm If you drive your GTI like a boy racer, you should expect low MPG, a light right foot, gives you more MPG :roll:
Replying to "monkeyhanger" and his low MPG in his GTI. unfortunately "Monkeyhanger" and "Mike SEL" both have stopped seeing my posts, but he has posted that he always has his GTI in race mode !!! And he's moaning about low MPG.

"Boy racer"
I think he said his Golf R was in race mode, not the Polo. I don’t think it has one.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dan34 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:27 am Crikey that was quite the reply haha.

I’m just saying what my experience is for MPG with both cars. The comparisons were both over the same journey/commute, with the same fuel and both being DSG. Also same driving style as it’s me driving both.

I’m just surprised you do not find yours any different from your R. Did you own your R from new? Also how did you run your polo in? I made sure to vary the revs a lot in mine and not afraid to use a lot of the revs as I understand this aids a better run in engine that uses less oil and fuel. I can say that is the case for mine so far, not used a drop of oil really when I last checked.
My Golf I've owned from new too, it's now at about 26k miles. The mpg improved about 10% when I ditched the hardly worn Bridgestone Potenzas for Michelin Pilot Supersport at 6k miles because turn in grip was abysmal So there may be a noticeable differential in mpg between 17" Parkers on Michelin Primacy and 18" Brescias on Bridgestone Turanza. I have the same attitude to run in as you - run it moderately hard (once warm) with varying revs. That run in style is easy to do with a manual box, but with DSG, the car is always looking to settle back down to low revs once in gear. At about 550 miles, I had a run to York, with maybe 2/3 of the 190 miles for the return trip sat at 70-85mph. I knocked it up and down the gears a few times. Mine has not used a drop of oil either. Same driving style for me between the 2 cars too. I don't generally use Eco as economy gains are negligible, based on wheat you can get coasting (and you don't coast much as it stops as soon as you touch the brake to stop the advancing speed), otherwise it is just dulling the throttle response. In Sport mode, I immediately pull the gearlever back so the car is operating in "D" change thresholds and not "S" change thresholds, which should be more economical.

My R's economy is way up there above what most other Golf forum users get (most R owners have DSG), and I do get up to speed quickly with use of the power, but do have an economical driving style once there.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

loadswine wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:59 am
silverhairs wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:37 pm

"Boy racer"
I think he said his Golf R was in race mode, not the Polo. I don’t think it has one.
Correct. The R has race mode, Polo has Sport mode (same thing really, in all but name). As I drive both cars in the same style and there is quite a diffeeence in output and car weight, i'd expect the Polo to be far better on fuel. Silverhairs has ignored 90% of the post and taken the other 10% the wrong way and made an assumption with a statement intended to offend,

The drive mode doesn't influence fuel economy to any great degree - it mainly adjusts throttle response - dulling it in normal and eco modes so you end up pressing it harder to achieve the same speed/acceleration in Eco than you do in Sport, but using no more or less fuel in the process. Driving style is far more relevant (more so with a manual where you have more control) Coasting gains in eco are marginal. The Sport modd hangs on to gears longer if you don't knock the box back in to D from S (which I do).

A DSG will always be a little thirstier than a manual driven intelligently, and I suppose the tyre choice will also influence the mpg, so perhaps there's my 20% difference betwen actuals and expectations right there in comparing my manual Golf with my DSG Polo.

Will probably change the Bridgestones to Michelin Pilot Superports next time Costco has a Michelins offer (just missed one) - they are excellent in the winter on the Golf.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

My experience with the Polo is that consumption is pretty damned good as long as you keep the speed down to about 50mph (real speed so about 55 on the speedometer). For me 50mph is fine as I prefer B and A roads, and hate motorways, since they often have congestion, and I find them more tiring and dull. Anyway, it’s not that often I can cruise along at 50mph due to other drivers preferring to dawdle, and big lorries and farm vehicles.

I’m quite impressed that mine is giving a not dissimilar mpg to my previous car, which was a VW Up. It seems quite good for shortish journeys, 6 miles say, as well as longer ones ie 15-25 miles. To state the very obvious, rapid acceleration and regular braking are the economy killers.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

How about running a GTI in eco mode, what percentage is correct there?

Why get a GTI and run it in ECO mode, what percentage in fuel are we saving?