Replacing existing halogen bulbs with led bulbs

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Replacing existing halogen bulbs with led bulbs

Post by JohnF »

I noticed in a VW mag in my local dealers, an ad by Osram for replacement led headlights for the Golf.

Having checked their website to see what was available for the Polo, I note that they also do led replacements for just the bulbs.

Anyone tried these?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Replacing existing halogen bulbs with led bulbs

Post by SRGTD »

If you are considering swapping your halogen bulbs for LED replacements in the existing reflector headlamp units, my advice would be not to do it.

Your existing reflector headlamp units are designed and intended for use with halogen bulbs. If you fit LED bulbs, you’re unlikely to see an improvement in headlight performance. You’ll end up with a poor beam pattern and a very high degree of light scatter, dazzling oncoming motorists - and they won’t thank you for that!

If you want to improve the performance of your headlamps, IMO it would be better to fit some upgraded halogen bulbs.
Jericho704
New
Drives: 2018 AW1 Energetic Orange SEL 115ps

Post by Jericho704 »

JohnF wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am I noticed in a VW mag in my local dealers, an ad by Osram for replacement led headlights for the Golf.

Having checked their website to see what was available for the Polo, I note that they also do led replacements for just the bulbs.

Anyone tried these?
Im in the same boat as you,

I was looking for LED replacements for my Polos Halogens, dyou mind linking me the site where you saw the LED replacements for the bulbs please?

I know if I was to get some LEDs, I would need to get a retainer clip, to allow them to twist into the headlights, as the design of our reflectors, are specifically designed for Halogens.
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

Tried this and wasn’t happy with the beam pattern so upgraded to Philips Diamon Vision I think they were.

They are very white looking, 500k so not road legal (road legal limit being 470k). Personally I’d save your money.

Saying that, my new car has full LED, within five mine of driving someone flashed me, think he realised I didn’t have full beam on when I flashed him back and proceeded to burn his retinas (that’ll teach him).
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

So it sounds like Volkswagen Driver is accepting adverts for products that are not quite what you should be buying, shame on them, still I suppose it happens now and again!
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

Jericho704 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:39 pm
JohnF wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am I noticed in a VW mag in my local dealers, an ad by Osram for replacement led headlights for the Golf.

Anyone tried these?
Im in the same boat as you,

I was looking for LED replacements for my Polos Halogens, dyou mind linking me the site where you saw the LED replacements for the bulbs please?

I know if I was to get some LEDs, I would need to get a retainer clip, to allow them to twist into the headlights, as the design of our reflectors, are specifically designed for Halogens.
Think it was Osman.co.uk/ledlighting
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm If you are considering swapping your halogen bulbs for LED replacements in the existing reflector headlamp units, my advice would be not to do it.

Your existing reflector headlamp units are designed and intended for use with halogen bulbs. If you fit LED bulbs, you’re unlikely to see an improvement in headlight performance. You’ll end up with a poor beam pattern and a very high degree of light scatter, dazzling oncoming motorists - and they won’t thank you for that!

If you want to improve the performance of your headlamps, IMO it would be better to fit some upgraded halogen bulbs.
Do you have any suggestions?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Although I’ve no personal experience of them, Philips x-treme Vision have had some positive mentions by forum members in this thread - about half way down page 9;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71800&start=120

They’ve also been suggested on other forums as a good upgrade.
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 pm So it sounds like Volkswagen Driver is accepting adverts for products that are not quite what you should be buying, shame on them, still I suppose it happens now and again!
The XENARC replacements for the Golf are legal, having a low wattage Xenon bulb that doesn't need washers.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

So I see, though the LED proper drop in replacements do not seem to be there yet, though they claim they are coming.

I just wonder if Osram will be able to get the money back they have put into this as more and more new cars are coming with LED as standard, and only a few people, I'm guessing, make any effort to fit better bulbs - I know I used to do that, but I felt that I was in the minority.

I remember buying my mate a pair of Halogen bulbs for his SAAB 96 as a best man's present 42 years ago, as an upgrade form the horrible weak yellowish bulbs that existed at that time!