Recall - power steering

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Recall - power steering

Post by wizzywig27 »

The gf has just called VW to get her seatbelt fix sorted and for them to look at her handbrake as it sometimes rolls even when applied.

Whilst on the phone she advised her that there was a recall for the power steering. She said it’s not affecting all cars, but all cars need to be checked.

So that’s three things now on a brand new car that either don’t work properly, or might not work properly.

Bit of a farce really!
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Re: Recall - power steering

Post by TElwoody »

Wow, that is quite a few faults, even for a new car. Hope thats everything, but wouldn't be surprised if not
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

TElwoody wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm Wow, that is quite a few faults, even for a new car. Hope thats everything, but wouldn't be surprised if not
Oh and on top of the faults above, her CarPlay keeps disconnecting (both USB ports) and she has a hairline crack/line on her Infotainment screen (seems like the LCD panel not the screen itself).

Admittedly these two are things that can be easily fixed but still...
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

Just had my April 18 SE back from having the infamous seat belt "fix" done. A very high tech interim solution that proved to be: a tie wrap to squeeze the 2 belt clips together. Interestingly they loaned me an almost new Polo which had not even had this fix done???!!! They also wanted to charge me for this loan car even though my car was in to rectify (!) a VW cock up.

My handbrake was fixed too due to "cables stiff in outer cable" At least a new cable fixed that one completley.

Was also advised that the power steering needed a software update. When I asked why they were a big vague and said it was a general software update that they need to do from time to time.

This software update and VW cock up are refered to as "workshop campaigns" (69W3 and 4803) This almost reads as if the dealer is doing me a favour!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

VW Group or maybe just VW UK (who are totally owned by VW AG), need to smarten up their ideas on how they attend to issues like some of these, they need to start coming to the customer to sort these things out that don't need special workshop facilities to complete, and start buying back faith/good feelings by smothering affected customers with useful gifts!
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

When I check my old polo that I rejected on the VW website for recalls, it tells me there are none for my vehicle, yet they’ve sent me two letters regarding the seatbelt issue.

Same for the gf’s, says there is no recall yet she’s had a letter too. Shambles!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That is just the well known way that VW Group minimise exposure to the general public on issues that their cars are having, by dealing with things in their own way, they reduce/supress lots of these small issues appearing on "new car reliability charts" and so dragging them down the order.

It has been said that the Skoda division mastered this technique first, which gave rise to the opinion that the board of VW AG are " three wise monkeys" - I will not bother to expand on that.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

I’ve noticed on my car that when the stop start is active it sometimes takes a second or two for the power steering to restart after the system has shut down the engine, very annoying at junctions or roundabouts, due to this I always have it turned off now.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Cadwest wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am I’ve noticed on my car that when the stop start is active it sometimes takes a second or two for the power steering to restart after the system has shut down the engine, very annoying at junctions or roundabouts, due to this I always have it turned off now.
I don't see that so maybe an issue with your car. I'll try to remember to pay attention this evening just in case mine does that but I don't notice.
Teras_UK
New
Drives: VW Scirocco, SEL Electric orange

Post by Teras_UK »

Cadwest wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am I’ve noticed on my car that when the stop start is active it sometimes takes a second or two for the power steering to restart after the system has shut down the engine, very annoying at junctions or roundabouts, due to this I always have it turned off now.
This is incrediably annoying on mine. Pulling up to a curb and the power steering stops working as the car is coming to a stop. So i cant line it up properly in fear of the steering stopping and grinding my wheels.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Can't say I've noticed that on mine. What have noticed is that when you're stopped, with start-stop having kicked in, a yank on the steering wheel will fire up the engine again when the brake pedal is held.
camerar1
New
Drives: 2010 SEL 105PS, ordered 2018 SEL 115PS

Post by camerar1 »

What I am noticing - three times now in just over three months - is that occasionally at stop time (in start stop) the power steering gives itself a big tug, spinning the wheel within my hands. It's a bit disconcerting, but my current plan was to wait until first service, although that would still be towards a year away. Car (1.0 115PS SEL) is just shy of 6000 miles, on LL service regime, mostly motorway driving.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That "feature" sounds terrible - I'd think not what was intended to be happening!

I always have had a suspicion of electric direct steering, but so far I have been proven wrong as my wife's Polo's electric steering is spot on always.
camerar1
New
Drives: 2010 SEL 105PS, ordered 2018 SEL 115PS

Post by camerar1 »

Actually this is my 4th car with electric power steering - 1998 and 2003 Astras, then 2010 Polo, ~300K miles of driving. Never felt a tug at engine off in these 20 years.