When taking delivery what do I need to look for

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

When taking delivery what do I need to look for

Post by Kittycat »

My car is now in the UK and hoping to get the call soon to pick it up.
When I take delivery what should I be looking for?
Heard of a few polos being problematic and the curtesy one I have is making a awful clunking sound when I put into reverse or onto the brake.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: When taking delivery what do I need to look for

Post by SRGTD »

Kittycat wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:19 pm When I take delivery what should I be looking for?
Here’s a checklist you can use. Checklist items are in no particular order;
  • If possible, always inspect the vehicle in the dry. Tell the dealer in advance of collection day that if it’s raining when you collect your car, you dont want it parked outside - you want the car dry and inside or under cover so you can inspect it in the dry and in good light. It’s easy to miss issues or defects on a wet car or in poor lighting conditions
  • Check the condition of all the bodywork, glass and wheels for stone chips, scratches, scuffs, dents or dings, and any transporter lashing strap marks on the wheels. If the car’s got cosmetic damage, best to point this out before leaving the dealership, otherwise dealer can maintain any damage occurred after you’d left their premises
  • Check all gaps between bodywork panels are even, of uniform size and that all panels fit correctly and are not misaligned. Check the paint on all panels is the same colour/shade and there is no dirt/ imperfections in - or poor finish of - the paintwork; note; it’s not unusual for plastic bumpers to be a very slightly different shade to the adjoining panels, due to the painting process used and the plastic parts being painted away from the body shell - possibly from a different paint batch. This is normal and more noticeable on light coloured metallic shades
  • Ensire no cleaning cloths/materials have been left under the bonnet in the engine compartment from the dealer prep of your car
  • Check the interior for fit and finish of trim and for any scratches and scuffs
  • Ensure the black plastic wheel bolt covers and wheel centre caps have been fitted
  • Check all the optional extras you’ve specified are present and correct
  • Ensure any dealer fit accessories that you’ve specified (mats, mud flaps etc.) have been fitted
  • Check spare wheel is in the boot, along with the car’s toolkit, including the locking wheel nut key
  • Check the transport pucks have been removed from the front suspension struts, or get the dealer to confirm they have. Lots of instances of transport pucks being left in place during PDI on mk7 Golfs. If they’ve not been removed, the ride will be uncomfortably firm
  • Ensure owner’s manuals are present in the vehicle wallet (note; no service book now as service records are now digital/ online)
  • Check VIN numbers for the car and documentation are the same
  • Ensure the service regime has been set correctly (Longlife or time & distance). If you have a service plan, then it needs to be set to time and distance
  • Ensure you have two keys for the car
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

All the above + I always say try to have someone with you. You will feel better and they may notice something you don't though chances are the car will be perfectly ok. Good luck....
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

All of the above and also check:

That the number plates are correct back and front and it agrees with registration number on the paperwork.
There is fuel in the tank and maps if you specified these - buying through Carwow as we did there should be a full tank of fuel and mats as part of the deal.
I asked for the dealer sticker not to be applied to the rear window as it spoils the view out the rear window.
Check your insurance is valid for the new car.

Don’t get conned into taking the dealer Gap I insurance as companies like ala.co.uk offer the same or better cover for 75% less than the dealer offering. Cancel the dealer one if you’ve already taken it.

Enjoy the car.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

Aube wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:06 pm Hi,

All of the above and also check:

That the number plates are correct back and front and it agrees with registration number on the paperwork.
There is fuel in the tank and maps if you specified these - buying through Carwow as we did there should be a full tank of fuel and mats as part of the deal.
I asked for the dealer sticker not to be applied to the rear window as it spoils the view out the rear window.
Check your insurance is valid for the new car.

Don’t get conned into taking the dealer Gap I insurance as companies like ala.co.uk offer the same or better cover for 75% less than the dealer offering. Cancel the dealer one if you’ve already taken it.

Enjoy the car.
Thank you, I was actually looking at taking out gap insurance with the dealer but will have a look elsewhere
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

The quote we had for the Polo from the dealer was £599 for 3 years cover, then when I said that’s too much it went down to £499 as a special offer. I showed him the ala quote and the reply was ‘it’s not the same and they never pay out’. Not only was this untrue, but then they go into scare tactics about the company could fail or take your money. Complete rubbish, but far too many customers give in and end up buying the dealer offering.

I can say from experience that ala do pay out and always been professional. Give them a call if you want to talk to a person as they have an excellent customer service team and usually will offer a discount. Or do it on line and use discount code ala68 for10% off the policy.

Please, please don’t fall for any stories or pressure the dealer will use to get a signature for gap on the day.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If you use discount code MSE25, you can get 25% discount off ALA’s screen prices for GAP insurance cover. They also have a price match guarantee so if you find cheaper cover elsewhere, they’ll match the cheaper price.

I’d never buy VW’s GAP product - it’s horrendously expensive because VW are being greedy as they apply a substantial commission mark-up to their supplying insurer’s net prices. Agree with Aube; don’t fall for the dealer’s scaremongering tactics to try and get you to buy the overpriced VW offering.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Thank you, I was actually looking at taking out gap insurance with the dealer but will have a look elsewhere
[/quote]

Ask your insurance company if your policy covers a full replacement vehicle as you might not actually need GAP insurance