GTI Engine specs and build

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
shiloh
New
Drives: 2018 Polo Gti

GTI Engine specs and build

Post by shiloh »

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has any info on the exact engine specs of the polo GTI engine. Particullary the fuel inkection system. I am trying to determine if these engines used in the UK are direct injected, port injected or a combination of the two? Does anuone know?

Cheers
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Re: GTI Engine specs and build

Post by Poachersun »

I thought it was a combination of both. it definitely has direct. These days they are doing dual because of carbon build up on the intake valves.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Yes it mainly has direct injection but also uses an injector in the inlet manifold to clean up any carbon and oil deposits from the pcv and egr.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Has anyone got any evidence to back up the claim that it has some sort of port injection on top of the advertised direct injection?

I can only find information about direct injection and was certainly concerned about carbon build up. If there is some sort of port injection too to help clean the intake valves then that leaves me less worried about carbon build up.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

It's a EA888 engine if that helps.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 pm Has anyone got any evidence to back up the claim that it has some sort of port injection on top of the advertised direct injection?

I can only find information about direct injection and was certainly concerned about carbon build up. If there is some sort of port injection too to help clean the intake valves then that leaves me less worried about carbon build up.
Somewhere in one of my many posts is a link to a few VW tutorials, one in particular was about how DSG boxes work, but there were engine ones too which mentioned dual fuelling (direct and indirect) to prevent carbon build up and I can't find them right now. There's something about it in here.https://www.alexsautohaus.com/blog/vwau ... xplained//
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

I am pretty sure i read up as well as it has the E8888-3b engine setup.

However i am hoping my vehicle is arriving in the next 1-2 weeks so i will be able to inspect/confirm this.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

yep it is EA888 gen3 B - using diferent combustion cycle then gen 3. Also ETKA show using 2 diferent injectors (Part number: 06L906031A and 06G906036S).
Attachments
Should be direct injector (nr. 16)
Should be direct injector (nr. 16)
Should be port Injector (nr. 26)
Should be port Injector (nr. 26)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that you can be sure that no proper car manufacturer would launch any new petrol engines now without secondary fuel injection, even although most are charged so the restriction on the inlet side will take longer to make its self known.