Vin numbers

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Vin numbers

Post by Poachersun »

Hi!

I have been given the Vin number (yet to confirm where my car is, if in NZ or ship, or still in SA) i was told the build date was 14/09.
The weird thing is the vin number (first numbers excluding the last 6: WVWZZZAWZKU
This is weird because from what i read online the "K" relates to 2019 (and most others i have checked online have "J" which is 2018
Has anyone else got a vin number with the "K" 2019 reference? And more importantly received it? Just weird to me as we are 2018

Apparently i am supposed to take delivery in the next 2-4 weeks.

It seems curious to me, and i have been unsure right from the start due to overseas gti delays with people ordered as far back as January this year!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Vin numbers

Post by SRGTD »

Poachersun wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:56 pm Hi!

I have been given the Vin number (yet to confirm where my car is, if in NZ or ship, or still in SA) i was told the build date was 14/09.
The weird thing is the vin number (first numbers excluding the last 6: WVWZZZAWZKU
This is weird because from what i read online the "K" relates to 2019 (and most others i have checked online have "J" which is 2018
Has anyone else got a vin number with the "K" 2019 reference? And more importantly received it? Just weird to me as we are 2018

Apparently i am supposed to take delivery in the next 2-4 weeks.

It seems curious to me, and i have been unsure right from the start due to overseas gti delays with people ordered as far back as January this year!
The ‘K’ year identifier is the model year, rather than the build year.

I think that this year, build of 2019 model year vehicles commenced later - from build week 31 (i think it’s usually build week 22) which is end of July/beginning of Aug, and with your car being built 14th Sept, it will be a 2019 model year car, even though it’s built in 2018.

My previous generation Polo GTI was built at the end of 2015 but is a 2016 model year car. The year identifier in my car’s VIN is a ‘G’ which is model year 2016.

Link to VW VIN decoder;

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

WOW SRGTD - thank you so much for that clarification, that makes me feel allot less nervous and better about what i have been told.
That makes sense

Hopefully i get the email today with an update, if it's in their system with a stock no. i would assume they have it and are organizing registration/process etc.

I hate waiting!
Noisew
New
Drives: VOLKSWAGEN Polo Comfortline

Post by Noisew »

To be honest, I advise you to check if this VIN matches your car. This is a bit of a weird number confusion.
Mastery
New

Post by Mastery »

I plan to buy another car. I came up with an advantageous offer for the sale of used polo, which I want to give to my son. I often hear about the VIN number of the car, but I don't understand how I can get it and what the VIN checker gives. Could you explain this to me? This is the first time I'm buying a car not at a car dealership.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Mastery wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 pm I plan to buy another car. I came up with an advantageous offer for the sale of used polo, which I want to give to my son. I often hear about the VIN number of the car, but I don't understand how I can get it and what the VIN checker gives. Could you explain this to me? This is the first time I'm buying a car not at a car dealership.
If you have access to the car you’re considering buying, the VIN can be seen in the bottom corner of the windscreen - passenger side for RHD vehicles. If you don’t have access to the vehicle, you could ask the seller for the vehicle’s VIN.

The link to VIN decoder I posted earlier in this thread back in 2018 explains how to decode the VIN / what information each component part of the VIN holds about the vehicle the VIN relates to.
Mastery
New

Post by Mastery »

I don't have access to the car yet. I will go watch it with my friend mechanic after quarantine. How do I know if the car owner gave me the correct VIN number?
Dankore
New

Post by Dankore »

Mastery wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:07 am I don't have access to the car yet. I will go watch it with my friend mechanic after quarantine. How do I know if the car owner gave me the correct VIN number?
When you buy a car, you register it as your property, so during the check with the VIN of the vehicle number you can see the name and surname of the car owner. You can also find out from PPSR how many owners the car had, registration details, model, equipment, whether the car is listed as being stolen or not, the presence or absence of financial debt for this car. On the Internet, you can find an online service where you can learn more about PPSR and how to check the vehicle's VIN number.