Radar UnLove

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Radar UnLove

Post by barrywi »

Over the last week or two I think my Radar anti collision system is having a nervous breakdown. For no logical reason the red collision warning light on the centre of the electronic dash keeps coming on. ( About ten times so far) Luckily it has not triggered any auto braking so it goes in on Friday for analysis. My theory is that there is a giant South African spider trapped inside the radar unit which sets off the alarm when it moves.
Hopefully it is just a sensitivity adjustment, but it did not happen at all when I first got the car.
Anybody else had this problem?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Radar UnLove

Post by monkeyhanger »

Barry:

There is a sensitivity adjustment for the system in the menus - I can't remember the exact terminology for it, but when I upped the sensitivity I was getting a lot of warnings, so put it straight back down. Maybe you've had a fiddle with it and left it in its most sensitive state? I will have a look later - i'm sure it is in the car menus and front assist, maybe setting the notifications to early or something like that (as I say, I can't remember the exact terminology) caused a lot of notifications.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Thanks for that, when the missus returns in the car I will have a look.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I get the occasional false alarm on the Emergency Braking system but maybe only once every couple of weeks if that.

I had "Front Assist - No Sensor View" again today. The Sensor really doesn't like rain / motorway spray. A VCDS scan shows errors on the associated module, but unfortunately but unfortunately the AW Polo isn't fully supported and I need to upgrade to the latest HEX-NET to be able to decode further.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Barry:

Go to Car > Set-up > Driver Assistance > Front Assist> Advance Warning - set it to medium.

If it's already on Medium then you've got an issue (or drive like a stunt driver). Might be worth giving the front VW badge z wipe if your car is filthy.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Sorted.
I remember now fiddling with the setting because nothing happened when I got close to a car infront. You were right, it was set on early so changed it to medium and hopefully that will sort it out.
How very dare you suggest that any of my pride and joy is dirty or that I drive like an idiot, you will be hearing from my lawyer. :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm Sorted.
I remember now fiddling with the setting because nothing happened when I got close to a car infront. You were right, it was set on early so changed it to medium and hopefully that will sort it out.
How very dare you suggest that any of my pride and joy is dirty or that I drive like an idiot, you will be hearing from my lawyer. :D
[/quote
It won't alarm if you're close to the car in front unless that car jumps on the brakes. For general closeness to the car in front, a tiny white warning appears in the lower part of the drivers graphical display, 2 cars separated by an exclamation mark.

I had set the same setting to early when fiddling around with the menus, and noticed immediately that my red warnings went up 20-fold, so took it straight back to normal. You might want to cancel your appointment with the dealership when you re sure it is now as it should be.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Yes I have cancelled the service visit...garage was not bothered, they are very friendly. Not been out in the car yet to see what happens.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

My previous Golf (MK7) radar made me jump out my skin a few tiems responding to leaves, crisp packets, etc. Current car's radar behaves as it should. Fortunately, for the old blood pressure :) ....
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

The boss reports no incidents since change of settings. Out later today for a trip to confirm.
kmm249
Getting There!
Drives: 2018

Post by kmm249 »

I have had this problem where the car has kept emergency braking as it thinks there is something there. We tried all the settings.

Avoid Parkway VW as they do not know how to investigate this problem, even with video evidence been provided after their request they still won't accept there is an issue with the car as they have not taken the car on a proper road test to get it to fault. They said the radar did not need recailbrating as there is no issue with the car but proceed to spend upto 2 hours recalibarting the radar (got to love dashcam footage they told us to leave it in!) but yet there is no problem with it. Why would you recailbrate a radar if there is no fault with the system.

Trying to reject the vehicle on this and another few safety related issues as well.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Mine is ok now after resetting the sensitivity.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

How are you getting on with this please?
I have mine set to 'late'.
Two places on my way to work, there's sharp right hand bends lined by walls.
Every time, it thinks I'm going to drive into the walls and gives me a sharp application of the brakes to warn me.
Apart from approaching these corners at walking pace and looking like an idiot, I don't know what to do.
My wife is refusing to drive my brand new car, it terrifies her :(
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Mine is working well now with no red light warnings or symptoms like yours, it does not sound right. Ask the dealer if they can reduce the sensitivity even more in their menus or even turn it off but retain the cruise auto distance control.
I presume that part of the function is working ok?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

barrywi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:40 pm Mine is working well now with no red light warnings or symptoms like yours, it does not sound right. Ask the dealer if they can reduce the sensitivity even more in their menus or even turn it off but retain the cruise auto distance control.
I presume that part of the function is working ok?
Not had a chance to try the cruise.
I might try 'medium'
'Early' sets off alarms all the time, 'Late' doesn't give you any warning before slamming the brakes on for a split second (which scares the hell out of everyone in the car).
If Medium isn't the answer, I'll get the dealer to reduce the sensitivity.
TBH I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't know the car had this, some minor google searching would have told me to keep going past the VW dealer. :roll: