New Polo Beats - Knocking engine / erratic DSG

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
hornedav
New
Drives: Polo Beats

New Polo Beats - Knocking engine / erratic DSG

Post by hornedav »

Hello All,

I recently took delivery of a new 1.0 litre 85KW Polo Beats, with DSG. It has now travelled 2600 kilometres. The car is mostly great, but I do have some questions about its’ operation.

The engine, as revs increase, appears to produce a knocking sound/vibration – above 2400 RPM. I don’t recall the Demo vehicle I drove exhibiting the same sounds/vibrations under acceleration. Is this normal for new 1.0 litre VW engines to be so rattly? I’m using "premium" unleaded 98 RON fuel. The sound is similar to pre-ignition. :?

Secondly, the 7-speed DSG transmission appears to only use First gear for the briefest of time – before rapidly transitioning to Second gear. It barely uses First gear at all. Also, the gear changes seem very erratic on inclines and descents – the DSG seems to choose incorrect gears for the gradient. I don’t recall Japanese car automatic transmissions being so erratic in gear choices. Is this also normal operation for VWs? :?

Thanks in advance.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: New Polo Beats - Knocking engine / erratic DSG

Post by Leif »

My manual 95PS Polo does not knock. Nor did a 65PS one. Is this a subdued constant knock, or loud?
daydotz
Silver Member

Re: New Polo Beats - Knocking engine / erratic DSG

Post by daydotz »

Compared with a torque converter automatic the DSG can be more clunky at low speeds they have a habit of shifting up gears way to fast (they learn & adapt to you're driving style eventually)