How much miles in a tank

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

How much miles in a tank

Post by Kittycat »

Just want to ask how much miles till empty do you get in a tank?
I have a 95ps and filled it only to be a bit miffed that I only got a range of 370😳😳
I previously had a shot of a 1.0 60ps and filled the tank for the same with a range of 420.
Just wondering because it’s only done 200 miles since collecting that the more it beds in the distance to empty may improve
Just disappointed
Had I known I would have just bought a diesel as used to my 420 range and can’t afford to fill it sooner then I used to
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: How much miles in a tank

Post by SRGTD »

I think you’ll need to wait until you’ve covered a few thousand miles before you see mpg figures that’ll be representative of what you’ll realistically get long term.

With my current car (previous generation Polo GTI), initial mpg was around 10-15% lower than I got after I’d driven 2-3k miles, so give it time, and it should improve as you clock up the miles.
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm I think you’ll need to wait until you’ve covered a few thousand miles before you see mpg figures that’ll be representative of what you’ll realistically get long term.

With my current car (previous generation Polo GTI), initial mpg was around 10-15% lower than I got after I’d driven 2-3k miles, so give it time, and it should improve as you clock up the miles.
Saying that the Polo I had a loan of had 1500 miles on the clock so maybe I just need to continue to let it bed in and hope I get a bit more then 370 for a full tank ☹️
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Kittycat wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 pm
SRGTD wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm I think you’ll need to wait until you’ve covered a few thousand miles before you see mpg figures that’ll be representative of what you’ll realistically get long term.

Saying that the Polo I had a loan of had 1500 miles on the clock so maybe I just need to continue to let it bed in and hope I get a bit more then 370 for a full tank ☹️
The tank is only 40 Litres, im expected to cover nearly 400 Miles my next tank juding by my calculations, an average of 48 MPG for my current tank (2nd one ever) and only 400 miles on the clock. Given time i think mine might do 420 a tank. It would be interesting to see.
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

I've managed over 400 miles on a tankfull a few times with a record of 438 according to the app. Mostly I'm seeing 340 to 350 per tank.
It's a 95 SE with 4,000 miles under it's belt and I re-fill when miles remaining reaches 80 miles.
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

jackois wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 pm I've managed over 400 miles on a tankfull a few times with a record of 438 according to the app. Mostly I'm seeing 340 to 350 per tank.
It's a 95 SE with 4,000 miles under it's belt and I re-fill when miles remaining reaches 80 miles.
I seriously hope my car doesn’t continue to give me 370 on a full tank of petrol. My current gives me 430 and lasts around two weeks costing just over the £43 to fill.
I don’t want to have to be filling it earlier then every two weeks otherwise may have to consider looking back at diesel.
The point of buying a 1 litre was that economically I could fill up and get the same miles till empty as my current
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Kittycat wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:47 pm
jackois wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 pm I've managed over 400 miles on a tankfull a few times with a record of 438 according to the app. Mostly I'm seeing 340 to 350 per tank.
I seriously hope my car doesn’t continue to give me 370 on a full tank of petrol. My current gives me 430 and lasts around two weeks costing just over the £43 to fill.
I don’t want to have to be filling it earlier then every two weeks otherwise may have to consider looking back at diesel.
The point of buying a 1 litre was that economically I could fill up and get the same miles till empty as my current
What car did you drive previously. Was it petrol or diesel and what size tank did it have? Did your Polo have a full tank of fuel when you collected it?

Quite a few threads on the forum where owners have commented on their fuel consumption, so worth using the search function to get a broader view on what mpg you can realistically expect. I think you need to give it time

Diesel has been given lots of bad press over the last 18-24 months, so if you did go back to diesel and you bought as opposed to leased, you may find it difficult to sell or get a decent price for it, come resale time.
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

I used to drive a 1.5 diesel fiesta with 95 ps
No polo had just over half a tank by then
Only collected it last week and haven’t really done much miles but I’d to fill it
Wondering how easy it would be if push came it shove if I’d be able to get out of this deal
I certainly can’t afford another deposit so would be relying on what the cars worth against my finance to go towards another
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

So you are comparing the fuel range / economy of a petrol engine that’s covered just a couple of hundred miles to an older diesel where (presumably) the engine’s fully loosened up and has covered a much higher mileage. IMO there are bound to be differences.

As said before, I don’t think you can make a judgement on fuel economy after just 200 miles.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I'm averaging 63 mpg from my 95 PS Pole, assuming 40 liters (it can take more), that gives about 560 miles per tank. I've never dropped below 56 mpg.

What sort of journeys are you doing in terms of distance, road type and traffic?
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

Leif wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:30 pm I'm averaging 63 mpg from my 95 PS Pole, assuming 40 liters (it can take more), that gives about 560 miles per tank. I've never dropped below 56 mpg.

What sort of journeys are you doing in terms of distance, road type and traffic?
I am doing town driving, and motorway as I live 16 miles north of the city,
driving to work furthest I go is 14 miles there and back, I also have another job where I can do 50 miles in one day driving about. Not really sitting in traffic if I do my start stop kicks in.
Maybe I just assumed that the loan Polo that had already 1609 miles on the clock I would get the same fuel distance with my new car, I’ve had two new cars before and I’ve never had low ranges before, I appreciate it’s new and things have to loosen and bed in but it’s a fuel tank and it’s still going to take the same amount of fuel two years later it’s not a brake or something else that will wear and losen off with time
Kittycat
Getting There!

Post by Kittycat »

Kittycat wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:26 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:30 pm I'm averaging 63 mpg from my 95 PS Pole, assuming 40 liters (it can take more), that gives about 560 miles per tank. I've never dropped below 56 mpg.

driving to work furthest I go is 14 miles there and back, I also have another job where I can do 50 miles in one day driving about. Not really sitting in traffic if I do my start stop kicks in.
Maybe I just assumed that the loan Polo that had already 1609 miles on the clock I would get the same fuel distance with my new car, I’ve had two new cars before and I’ve never had low ranges before, I appreciate it’s new and things have to loosen and bed in but it’s a fuel tank and it’s still going to take the same amount of fuel two years later it’s not a brake or something else that will wear and losen off with time
Has your polo always given you the range of 500s or has this improved over time.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Kittycat wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:27 pm
Kittycat wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Has your polo always given you the range of 500s or has this improved over time.
As I said, it started out at 57 mpg, and gradually (after 1,000 miles or so) improved, and has been steady at over 60 mpg for 4-5 months now. Without trying to be rude, there are ways to improve fuel consumption. Do not accelerate rapidly, avoid braking which requires forward observation, so you let the car slow naturally before reaching traffic for example. I keep a good distance from the car in front which reduces the need to brake. And I tend to slide onto roundabouts rather than stop, and wait. My Polo has high gearing, but does not like going above 60 mph where the consumption increases quite a lot. In my case I'm happy to drive to 60 mph on the motorway (which sometimes is the faster you can do anyway) as I find it more relaxing. Going at warp speed is tiring as you have to concentrate more. Around town mine likes to be in fourth at 30 mph, consumption seems to go up if I go into fifth even though it can cruise in fifth at 30 mph.

If you are always having to stop in traffic or at junctions then there's not much you can do. I'm told that cars do vary somewhat in their consumption, for reasons I do not understand. Maybe a few mpg?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Reading this post, "Kittycat" doesn't say if she has a manual or a DSG box? People drive differently, if you drive right up the behind of another car, your always on your brakes, (you can see this when you follow a car right up tight to the car in front of them) which will lower your MPG, heavy acceleration, heavy braking, being in the right gear for the speed of travel.
As for believing what the cars computer say's, well take that with a pinch of salt.
To get an accurate MPG, fill your tank up right to the rim, so you can see the fuel. Take the mileage at the same time, drive till the needle just gets to the red mark, fill up again to the neck as before, take the mileage again, find out how many miles you have covered. Look at your receipt and find out how many litres you purchased, divide the litres by 4.546, this will give you gallons, divide the mileage by the gallons. This will give you your true MPG. Do you really know how much you do have in your tank if you wait till the petrol pump clicks and stop pumping fuel into the tank, and you just take that for granted that it's full?

Sorry if I'm trying to tell my grandmother how to suck eggs, do not rely on the cars computer readout.

The Mrs diesel note when I fill it up to the brim, the fuel pointer is right past the full mark and she can do just over the 100 miles before it gets back to the full mark.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

I average around 350-360 miles to a tank in my GTI+.