Hello - new owner and query

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Hello - new owner and query

Post by Muldoon »

Hi

Great forum, lots of useful info. Thought I would join up, collected my 2018 SE yesterday, ex demo model. All seems very solid and higher quality than my previous 2016 Fiesta. Just one issue - I've noticed straight away the ride seem far more bumpy and you can feel every slight ridge in the road, it's on 16 inch optional alloys 195/55 - would this make a big difference to the standard 185/65 15 inch alloys? I've not checked the tyre pressures, hoping they might be over inflated and that will make an improvement. It's a real shame as it handles well and the TSI engine is flexible and pulls well. Otherwise might be considering swapping the alloys back to standard size - my previous Fiesta was superb at soaking up the bumps. Anyone else consider the ride firm and unsettled?

Thanks.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Hello - new owner and query

Post by Leif »

The ride on mine is pretty good, I have (I think) 15" alloys with Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres. I don't think they are the comfiest tyres. What tyres do you have?
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Hi Leif

Thanks for your reply. They are Falken tyres, never had these before, suspect a more budget brand. I'm going to check the pressures and if they are over then hopefully dropping them will make it less harsh and soften the ride but if they are correct pressures then will have to put up with it! Seems odd as the Polo gets 5 star reviews for comfort over handling compared to the Fiesta but back to back comparison it's far worse and unsettled.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

In the early months after the launch of the mk7 Golf, there were a number of mk7 Golf owners on various Golf forums who complained of the harsh ride they were experiencing with their new cars. They complained of suspension that was very ‘crashy’ and the ride was very hard, bordering on being rock solid. The cause of the problem was the dealers omitting to remove the shipping pucks from the front suspension struts during PDI (these are a temporary installation at the factory to keep the car stable and stop it bouncing on its suspension during transit from the factory to the dealer).

This could be the cause of the bumpy ride you’re experiencing. I’d be a little surprised if it was though, if your car was previously a dealer demo vehicle, but it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Link to a thread on golfmk7.com which shows what they look like and where they’re located (they may be a different colour on the Polo to those in the pictures in the thread);

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2189

Interestingly, post #5 in that discussion thread cites a case of a dealer demonstrator Polo that had the shipping pucks left in!
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I had the same issue on my beats - also on 16" wheels.

Turns out the tyre pressure where at 46psi! After putting them back where they should be (33/36) if my memory serves me right, it smoothed everything out... Within reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk