Headlight adjustment

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Headlight adjustment

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:13 pm Do you have to disconnect the wires from the bulbs before removing the unit, or are the wires long enough to disconnect when unit is free?
There's one big block connects the headlights to the car.
Once you get the headlight out, pull off the rubber covers from the back of each bulb access point and there's connectors attach to the bulbs themselves.
The bulbs just pull out/push in, there's no clips hold the bulbs in place, they are just an interference fit.
H7 bulbs have a 'flat' part to them, looks just like the steering wheel, so they can only go in one way.
Honestly, it's all very obvious once you get in about it.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

And if you don't have the right torx / hex bit the screwdriver found in your spare wheel well will fit. (It's double ended).
Andy Beats wrote:
silverhairs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:13 pm Do you have to disconnect the wires from the bulbs before removing the unit, or are the wires long enough to disconnect when unit is free?
There's one big block connects the headlights to the car.
Once you get the headlight out, pull off the rubber covers from the back of each bulb access point and there's connectors attach to the bulbs themselves.
The bulbs just pull out/push in, there's no clips hold the bulbs in place, they are just an interference fit.
H7 bulbs have a 'flat' part to them, looks just like the steering wheel, so they can only go in one way.
Honestly, it's all very obvious once you get in about it.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CP_Vaughny
New
Drives: R-Line 2019

Post by CP_Vaughny »

Has anyone tried replacing the static cornering lights next to the LED DRLs in the bumper?

Was this difficult?

Are they H7 too?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Watch the headlight lenses when you change the bulbs, either by letting them 'dangle' against the bumper or taking them out altogether and working on a bench.
VW have used the softest plastic known to man, I've got multiple small scratches on mine now.
Meguiars platic polish will get rid of them, I'm sure, but still annoying when I wasn't exactly being rough.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Hi,

My Led Headlights were shining downwards and making it difficult to see the road at night. Youtube Videos shows that there is two white plastic screws that can be adjusted.
I would refrain from doing this as you need to put LED Headlights in diagnostics mode to calibrate the lights height and throw level.

So take it too the dealer to be adjusted.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Another member adjusted these screws and it worked for them, but I've also seen lots of content about putting the lights in diagnostic mode first.
Any thoughts on why diagnostic mode is needed?
Thanks
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

If the LED lights are calibrated correctly, but still not to your liking, then i don't see the harm in using the white screws?
They're obviously there to allow manual adjustment over and above the calibration.
Using the white screws has made a big difference to my non-LED Polo lights, from awful to perfectly fine.
I don't seem to be dazzling anyone, no-one flashing me from opposite direction.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The diagnostic setting is so they are in the 'home' position before adjusting, so they have the proper variation for the load sensors once its set.
reyonalmighty
New
Drives: Polo SE 2018

Post by reyonalmighty »

alexperkins wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:01 pm The diagnostic setting is so they are in the 'home' position before adjusting, so they have the proper variation for the load sensors once its set.
How would i go about getting in to the diognostic setting? something i can do my self or would it be a dealer issue?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Needs VCDS

Probably one for the dealer in reality
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

green justin wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 am Hi,

My Led Headlights were shining downwards and making it difficult to see the road at night. Youtube Videos shows that there is two white plastic screws that can be adjusted.
I would refrain from doing this as you need to put LED Headlights in diagnostics mode to calibrate the lights height and throw level.

So take it too the dealer to be adjusted.

Huge Inprovement, The headlights light up the road as if the High Beam is switched on.