Headlight adjustment

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Headlight adjustment

Post by silverhairs »

The real question is, "Do both dip and main beam com on together when on main beam", if not, you only have 55W main beam, where as you used to have 60W main beam with twin filament with H4 bulbs.
Would it be possible for some member who has a 2018 polo to go out and see if both dip and main stay on at the same time when on main beam? Which would give greater advantage over just a 60W main beam :?:
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Just checked, yes... Both do come on.
silverhairs wrote:The real question is, "Do both dip and main beam com on together when on main beam", if not, you only have 55W main beam, where as you used to have 60W main beam with twin filament with H4 bulbs.
Would it be possible for some member who has a 2018 polo to go out and see if both dip and main stay on at the same time when on main beam? Which would give greater advantage over just a 60W main beam :?:
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Thank you "Adam_013" for your reply 8)
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Adam_013 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:05 pm You have to flash the main beam first before getting out
MilgeS wrote:Slightly off topic but, anyone else had their "coming home" lights stop working? Mine are fine "leaving" but don't come on when I lock the car, I have done a factory reset on the display but still not working, both my R-Line and GTi+ have recently stopped have "coming home" lights working, I'm off to the dealer this week to ask them.
Just to update, I tried the "flash" with no luck but upon reading the manual it said hold for a second, which does work. Still baffled why it worked before without having to do this, I know it did because when I noticed it not working I tried it on the other car and it worked on lock/keypress, that has since stopped working on that car too. Strange, but thank you again for solving the mystery :-)
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Oh, spooky stuff... Silly that they don't come on with be door open, like the Audi's do.

On the plus side, mystery solved
MilgeS wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:05 pm You have to flash the main beam first before getting out
MilgeS wrote:Slightly off topic but, anyone else had their "coming home" lights stop working? Mine are fine "leaving" but don't come on when I lock the car, I have done a factory reset on the display but still not working, both my R-Line and GTi+ have recently stopped have "coming home" lights working, I'm off to the dealer this week to ask them.
Just to update, I tried the "flash" with no luck but upon reading the manual it said hold for a second, which does work. Still baffled why it worked before without having to do this, I know it did because when I noticed it not working I tried it on the other car and it worked on lock/keypress, that has since stopped working on that car too. Strange, but thank you again for solving the mystery :-)

Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

So they're not really 'come home' lights, they're 'leave home' lights.....
What a weird way for them to work.
If you want the safety of the lights when coming home, you have to ask the car nicely. :roll:
Last edited by Andy Beats on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Leave home are when they come on when unlocking. Coming home are when your locking the car. And in our case, flash the lights for them to come on.
Andy Beats wrote:So they're not really 'come home' lights, they're 'leave home' lights.....

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm Leave home are when they come on when unlocking. Coming home are when your locking the car. And in our case, flash the lights for them to come on.
Andy Beats wrote:So they're not really 'come home' lights, they're 'leave home' lights.....
Yeah, that's what I mean.
They call them 'come home' lights, but they actually only work automatically when leaving home (unlocking the car)
if you want them on when actually come home, you have to remember to pull the stalk for a second.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Ah right yeah. I found the option to change that on my Carista but didn't work [emoji107]
Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm Leave home are when they come on when unlocking. Coming home are when your locking the car. And in our case, flash the lights for them to come on.
Yeah, that's what I mean.
They call them 'come home' lights, but they actually only work automatically when leaving home (unlocking the car)
if you want them on when actually come home, you have to remember to pull the stalk for a second.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Raised my headlights yesterday.
Just put the car close to garage door so I could see what was happening and adjusted away.
Still think the driver's side one needs raised a bit more.
No idea how to attach photos here, but the adjuster is the most obvious one on top of the headlight.
It's a white plastic screw that looks like an allen bolt, but with a philips screw head recessed into it.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Which direction of turning to raise, Andy? If you want to raise them at the same rate then best to make note of how many fractions of a turn you did on one and do the same with the other to preserve the "shape" of the combined output of the 2 headlights.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:54 am Which direction of turning to raise, Andy? If you want to raise them at the same rate then best to make note of how many fractions of a turn you did on one and do the same with the other to preserve the "shape" of the combined output of the 2 headlights.
I can't recall, as I had my back to the car and was turning it behind my back so I could watch the beams go up and down on the garage door. :)
I only did the driver's side, as the passenger side has always struck me as being fine.
Not the most scientific way of doing things, but as long as I'm happy with the result I'm not bothered.
When it goes in for its first service, I may ask them to check the alignment.
If I get it back as bad as it was when I collected it though, I won't be happy.....

BY THE WAY - for anyone thinking of changing their bulbs, it's actually easier just to unplug the one connector that holds the entire headlight into the car and change the bulbs on a work bench.
Saves having the headlight dangling against the bumper like the eye of a mortally wounded beast.
So it's two hex bolts and one connector, then the headlight just slips out.
Piece of proverbial.
When you put the lights back in, spend some time making sure you get all the gaps around the headlights right where they meet the wing.
Nice smooth transition from light to wing.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Think I need to go to a dark road and try some 'live' adjustments of the lights.
Still not happy with them.
Only two new cars I've ever owned that needed this headlight palaver have been VW.... :cry:
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

I purposely set mine a bit high and make fine adjustments using the wheel inside by the light switch.
Andy Beats wrote:Think I need to go to a dark road and try some 'live' adjustments of the lights.
Still not happy with them.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:50 pm I purposely set mine a bit high and make fine adjustments using the wheel inside by the light switch.
Yeah, that occurred to me as well.
Better to make them too high knowing you can lower them via the control.
It's not like I ever carry heavy loads.