Headlight adjustment

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Headlight adjustment

Post by Andy Beats »

hi, all
The headlight alignment on my new 'beats' is terrible, I can barely see a car length in front on dip or main - the cut off is just too close to the car.
I've fitted Osram 5K bulbs which are lovely and white (almost as white as the LED lights on my Nissan leaf), but I really need to adjust the beam too.
Main I'm not too bothered about, I'm rarely on main beam, but I need the dipped beam lifted.
How can I adjust the beams please?
I will obviously avoid dazzling others. 8)
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Headlight adjustment

Post by silverhairs »

Not received my Polo yet, but is there a rotary button that adjusts the height of the lights, so when you have a full load in the car, you can lower your headlight beam? It could be set as if you've got a full load and the require adjusting up or are the lights just pre-set?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Even with the load adjustment set at 0, the lights are too low.
It's manual adjustment they need now.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

Following
I have said to my husband I wish my dealer had told me about LED headlights as I would have ordered as extra
I would also like the head lights to sit slightly higher just to get that bit higher head light
What I think is stupid is the running lights are practically white but the mains are yellow 🤔
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

"Late to this thread, just joined.
I've replaced the bulbs in my 'beats' polo with Osram 5K.
They're very white, much whiter than the really yellow standard bulbs, and are now as good as the full LED headlights on my Nissan leaf.
They also match the LED DRL lights much better, it looked stupid with white DRL and yellow headlights before.
Unfortunately, the beam pattern is set far too low and I still need to figure out how to adjust that."

This is from another post about up-rated bulbs, but as you see, they are having problem's with low lights. So if you fit "Osram 5K bulbs".

There got to be away for you to adjust the lights up, either you or a qualified mechanic !!!
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm "Late to this thread, just joined.
They're very white, much whiter than the really yellow standard bulbs, and are now as good as the full LED headlights on my Nissan leaf.
They also match the LED DRL lights much better, it looked stupid with white DRL and yellow headlights before.
Unfortunately, the beam pattern is set far too low and I still need to figure out how to adjust that."

This is from another post about up-rated bulbs, but as you see, they are having problem's with low lights. So if you fit "Osram 5K bulbs".

There got to be away for you to adjust the lights up, either you or a qualified mechanic !!!
Just looked up on "Euro Car Parts" site they have H7 Philips Xtreme vision plus 130% @ £22.49 for the pair.

In the "Auto Express" a couple of weeks ago they recommended 3 bulbs
1. Philips RacingVision The only problem is they are 150% with a lifetime of 200 hours
2. Ring Xenon 130
3. Ring Xenon 150
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm "Late to this thread, just joined.

It was me that posted in that other thread. :)
The Osrams are great, really white.
But I still need the beams lifted manually, way too low.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Kittycat wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 pm Following
I have said to my husband I wish my dealer had told me about LED headlights as I would have ordered as extra
I would also like the head lights to sit slightly higher just to get that bit higher head light
What I think is stupid is the running lights are practically white but the mains are yellow 🤔
I'll take a photo of my car later, when it's dark.
You'll see that the Osram 5K bulbs match the DRLs very well.
And bulbs replacement is quite easy in the Polo.
Two torx type bolts per headlight, a good thump from the back and the whole unit pops out (watch you don't scratch your bumper)
Easy access to the bulbs, reverse the process to refit.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Hi Andy Beats,
You have said that you have changed your bulbs for Osram 5K bulbs. In another post (which I cannot find) you said you need to fit 4 bulbs.
As the H7 bulbs are single filament, are the standard H7 bulbs rated at 55w, where another twin filament bulb would be 55/60w.
So if you fit 4 bulbs do you need to purchase 2 X 55w and 2 X 60w bulbs, or fit all 55w bulbs :?:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:01 pm Hi Andy Beats,
You have said that you have changed your bulbs for Osram 5K bulbs. In another post (which I cannot find) you said you need to fit 4 bulbs.
As the H7 bulbs are single filament, are the standard H7 bulbs rated at 55w, where another twin filament bulb would be 55/60w.
So if you fit 4 bulbs do you need to purchase 2 X 55w and 2 X 60w bulbs, or fit all 55w bulbs :?:
Just replace with all the same, they're a higher wattage than normal anyway (100W)
If you want the white/LED look, then it's Osram 5000K 'cool blue boost' you want - the packaging is actually marked 'off road' because they are 100W.
I have some on my desk right now, to fit to the wife's Sportage.
If you're at all worried about these bulbs and for some reason want to stick to 60W, then you'll be stuck with the yellow look. :(
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:14 pm
silverhairs wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:01 pm Hi Andy Beats,
Just replace with all the same, they're a higher wattage than normal anyway (100W)
If you want the white/LED look, then it's Osram 5000K 'cool blue boost' you want - the packaging is actually marked 'off road' because they are 100W.
I have some on my desk right now, to fit to the wife's Sportage.
If you're at all worried about these bulbs and for some reason want to stick to 60W, then you'll be stuck with the yellow look. :(
Thank you for the reply,
You said you fitted 4 bulbs, so the dipped are also 100W, so the dipped goes off and the main come on?.
At the moment my Polo is on final inspection at Ebden, then it's on a boat here, with a bit of luck and back wind.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 pm
Thank you for the reply,
You said you fitted 4 bulbs, so the dipped are also 100W, so the dipped goes off and the main come on?.
At the moment my Polo is on final inspection at Ebden, then it's on a boat here, with a bit of luck and back wind.
The dip stays on, the main come on in addition to that.
So dip uses two headlights, main uses four.
If you want the white look while still being 'legal', it's the 4200K Osram 'cool blue intense' you want.
They're not as white as the 5000K, but still better than the very yellow standard rubbish.
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

The sensible thing to do would pop down to an MOT station who can check the alignment and height of your headlights.

I haven't come across a car yet where was no adjustment to them.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Hi Andy, many thanks for you reply and clearing up my questions. With both lights on, that's throwing a lot of watt's down the road?

Are the 4200K Osram "cool blue intense" the 100W type

Once again many thanks
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I'm going to try 'Halfrauds Advanced 5000k' bulbs. A difference can be seen.

I also marked my headlights on the fence and then lowered them to setting 3 on the adjuster and manually adjusted them to the mark on the fence. I can then increase the a little if required going down the road, to try and increase visibility.

Anyone else think their main beam points too low?
Mine shines 80% of its light at the same point my dip beams are at. There's what looks like an adjuster screw on the back of the unit, unsure if this is for main beam or something else. (Independent of the two dip beam adjusters)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk