MPG Question

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

MPG Question

Post by Kittycat »

From having a diesel I am obsessed 😂🤭with good mpg
My car is getting average of 40, I’ve seen it do 50-55 one trip
Can anyone explain this pic for me
I used to have this appear on the dash (from start)and it would say it was doing whatever mpgs at the time, and it would creep up the more economical I drove 🤭
Now though it’s saying long term and the mpgs are saying 40.5mpgs and it’s not going up or down like it used to
Hope this post is making sense
Can anyone explain why it did this now doesnt
Attachments
CD63E8DE-21EA-4B37-BBE0-97A3F58124E0.jpeg
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: MPG Question

Post by monkeyhanger »

The display cycles between single trip ("since start") mpg, long term mpg and mpg for the tank by pressing the "OK" button on the steering wheel. If you're in "long term" with plenty of trip data (The long term accumulates data from up to 100 hours of driving). Data from a single trip has a tiny impact on long term mpg, unless long term has just been reset.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I think you just need to use the toggle button to change it to since start. Its the little button on the right side inset into your steering wheel. Just have a fiddle you will find it :D.

just a couple of tips I have found for better MPG.

car gets better anyway from about 600-1000 miles on the clock.

Put car in eco mode, switch off air con. seriously my automatic 115 just did 56.8 MPG on a 400 mile round trip doing motorway speeds. And the best I have got out of it was 69.8 MPG on a 55 mile motorway run (I did try for that though and did 56-60 MPH with all the systems switched off that I could switch off and it was summer and 6am.

my long term over 1800 miles was reading 53.6 MPG for summer use. I have just reset it to see what I get long term winter.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

You are seeing average mpg rather than current mpg. On the right side of the steering wheel, press the lower button of the 5 button group. Now you should see current mpg. You can use the top and bottom buttons to switch the display to speed, distance travelled, average mpg etc.

When average mpg is displayed, as the others say, press the right or left hand buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to cycle between mpg since start, since refuel, and long term.

As Mike says, it took my SE 95 PS Polo a few thousand miles to go from 57 mpg average to 62+ mpg average. Braking kills mpg, but if you get caught in queues of traffic, you're stuffed, sadly.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Mine wasn't great when I first got it. Now with 6500 on the clock I average about 50-55mpg. On a good 200 mile run on cruise about 73mph I'll get back 63mpg.
This is a 1.0TSI 95ps manual.

Did take some getting used to where the power is coming from a 1.4TDi 9n3 which has been mapped.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm getting around 43mpg from my 1.0Tsi 95bhp.
That's driven very gently though.
If I even briefly put my foot down, it plummets into the thirties.
I'm only on 300 miles, I'm hoping it gets better as it loosens off.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

It should do. I was worried when I first got mine.. a 200 mile trip seemed to drink fuel. But now it seems to get better as the miles go on the clock.
Andy Beats wrote:I'm getting around 43mpg from my 1.0Tsi 95bhp.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm thinking of putting a low-level tuning box on mine.
Chip-tuning do a £109 box that gives an extra 15bhp and, more importantly, 30NM of torque.
That extra torque should mean lighter throttle openings are needed to make progress and improve MPG.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm I'm thinking of putting a low-level tuning box on mine.
Chip-tuning do a £109 box that gives an extra 15bhp and, more importantly, 30NM of torque.
That extra torque should mean lighter throttle openings are needed to make progress and improve MPG.
That's a suspiciously cheap box - it must be very unsophisticated in how it is modifying ECU signals. A decent box is usually circa £350. I wouldn't describe 15ps on 95ps as particularly low level as a percentage gain (16%) without other hardware modification. Most performance ones give an extra 20% without other mods.

You honestly won't see any discernible actual gains in mpg from that extra torque, what you will see is higher indicated mpg from the box fooling the car into thinking it is using less fuel because it is putting more fuel in relative to throttle press. What you put in at the pumps won't change. You'll see gains in the Summer attributed to the warmer humid air giving you a bigger combustion expansion and you'll think it's the box. You'll see running in gains and you'll think it's the box.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

The tuning place nextdoor (did my old car) and they've quoted 130hp. However I feel my clutch would give out first [emoji23]
They say it would also bump torque upto 250-260nm.
Andy Beats wrote:I'm thinking of putting a low-level tuning box on mine.

Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:51 am It should do. I was worried when I first got mine.. a 200 mile trip seemed to drink fuel. But now it seems to get better as the miles go on the clock.
Andy Beats wrote:I'm getting around 43mpg from my 1.0Tsi 95bhp.
I was a bit miffed when I got my car how it drank through fuel
Lucky if you get 280 miles in a tank
I hope it also improves
Mines is also a 1.0 95
I get around 35-40s mpg
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

At 600 miles on the clock the engine is still running in, give it another 1000 or so miles and i'm confident you'll see improvements in MPG.

Managed an average of 45MPG in my GTI+ the other day without even trying to be economical so i'm sure yours will do better! (mines on about 5000 miles now)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:26 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm I'm thinking of putting a low-level tuning box on mine.
That's a suspiciously cheap box - it must be very unsophisticated in how it is modifying ECU signals. A decent box is usually circa £350. I wouldn't describe 15ps on 95ps as particularly low level as a percentage gain (16%) without other hardware modification. Most performance ones give an extra 20% without other mods.

You honestly won't see any discernible actual gains in mpg from that extra torque, what you will see is higher indicated mpg from the box fooling the car into thinking it is using less fuel because it is putting more fuel in relative to throttle press. What you put in at the pumps won't change. You'll see gains in the Summer attributed to the warmer humid air giving you a bigger combustion expansion and you'll think it's the box. You'll see running in gains and you'll think it's the box.
It's the cheapest racechip box.
They're a very respected name.
https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/vw/polo ... 160nm.html
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Why is the cheap one so cheap? I'd expect it to have a very crude map and perhaps only songle channel modification compared to the higher priced units.

The selling point of the site is that variants of the same engine have all the same hardware, implying that the lower models are massively overengineered and can therefore be ramped up in power.

That's simply not true - VW have many differences between variants of the same engine - the Polo GTI's engine is not simply a 300ps Golf R engine with software retardation. Different size turbo, injectors, fuel pumps, clutches etc are employed in the VW range - even between the 1.0TSI output variants.

Most likely thing to fail is the clutch, especially on manual TSI units.

I had a tuning box on my Golf GTD, it was great - the car pulled in 6th like it used to in 4th, but the clutch put into the 2.0TDI unit is the same for all output variants over 150ps and is renowned for being massively overengineered. I wouldn't dare remap my Golf R - the clutch is just about up to the task of stock output (it has briefly slipped twice in 4th during the 2 coldest days of last Winter. Golf GTI and R with remap are a cert to have clutch slip In a manual box, but not with the DSG box.

Box use was once nigh on impossible to detect if you took it off for services/warranty work, the dealerships are wise to it now and there are many sensory tells. You risk binning your drivetrain warranty with a box on, so I'd give it a year to ensure there are no imminent manufacturing failures.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Couldn't agree more. Im debating on getting mine mapped but I feel the clutch is weak anyway. Pulling away on a steep incline, or reversing into a space after rolling forwards often leads to a clutchy smell... Bearing in mind it's not just me riding the clutch, previous car and friends A1 are fine..

Plus with the chance of buggering your warranty, is it really worth it.

Despite me saying that, I'll still be looking into it - but am prepared for things to go wrong. And require me to pay and repair them
monkeyhanger wrote:^ Why is the cheap one so cheap? I'd expect it to have a very crude map and perhaps only songle channel modification compared to the higher priced units.

The selling point of the site is that variants of the same engine have all the same hardware, implying that the lower models are massively overengineered and can therefore be ramped up in power.

That's simply not true - VW have many differences between variants of the same engine - the Polo GTI's engine is not simply a 300ps Golf R engine with software retardation. Different size turbo, injectors, fuel pumps, clutches etc are employed in the VW range - even between the 1.0TSI output variants.

Most likely thing to fail is the clutch, especially on manual TSI units.

I had a tuning box on my Golf GTD, it was great - the car pulled in 6th like it used to in 4th, but the clutch put into the 2.0TDI unit is the same for all output variants over 150ps and is renowned for being massively overengineered. I wouldn't dare remap my Golf R - the clutch is just about up to the task of stock output (it has briefly slipped twice in 4th during the 2 coldest days of last Winter. Golf GTI and R with remap are a cert to have clutch slip In a manual box, but not with the DSG box.

Box use was once nigh on impossible to detect if you took it off for services/warranty work, the dealerships are wise to it now and there are many sensory tells. You risk binning your drivetrain warranty with a box on, so I'd give it a year to ensure there are no imminent manufacturing failures.