Beats audio system installation

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
DNGmaestro
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Beats audio system installation

Post by DNGmaestro »

Hey guys!

I'm about to buy a brand new Polo GTI with no miles on it.
Since its a model that is on stock i would like to add the "official" Beats sound system that's available if you buy from factory.

Does anyone have experience with this? Installing this system after having the car?

I also have the same doubt about the seats. Would love to change for the ArtVelours ones.

Thanks in advance!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Beats audio system installation

Post by Andy Beats »

Don't know what the standard GTI stereo is like, but I have the 'beats' system and it's not all that spectacular.
TBH, I feel the bass it can generate is way too much for the build quality and materials in the car.
I like bass, but I've had to reduce it way down to under halfway.
If I go any higher and crank the volume up, the interior bodywork just starts buzzing/rattling.
It's not a fault with my car, it's just the sheer amount of bass the 'beats' system can generate, it's mental! :lol:
I think you'd be better off spending money just upgrading the standard Gti speakers to aftermarket units.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the bass is a bit too much ( I have the beats model ). Has to be at least a few notches down otherwise I think the car will rattle itself to pieces. However, when comparing it to the standard sounds systems in other cars it is far superior, once you've conquered the 'bassiness' of it.
Andy Beats wrote:Don't know what the standard GTI stereo is like, but I have the 'beats' system and it's not all that spectacular.
TBH, I feel the bass it can generate is way too much for the build quality and materials in the car.
I like bass, but I've had to reduce it way down to under halfway.
If I go any higher and crank the volume up, the interior bodywork just starts buzzing/rattling.
It's not a fault with my car, it's just the sheer amount of bass the 'beats' system can generate, it's mental! [emoji38]
I think you'd be better off spending money just upgrading the standard Gti speakers to aftermarket units.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DNGmaestro
New

Post by DNGmaestro »

Thanks for the reviews guys, thats what im looking for.

Bur i guess u guys bought the beats system from factory right?

Im contemplating putting on a GTI that came without, if that's possible.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

The build quality of the Polo is acceptable ..even arguably good...still don't make it a Bentley or Rolls Royce so the sound system it can cope with is limited by the fact it is still a small city car that is screwed together better than most others. Even the std sound system in my car with Bass cranked up causes vibrations. I have set it with the bass up 3 notches and I am getting away with it.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

DNGmaestro wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:07 am Thanks for the reviews guys, thats what im looking for.

Bur i guess u guys bought the beats system from factory right?

Im contemplating putting on a GTI that came without, if that's possible.
I suppose it's possible, it's only a stereo.
Question is why you'd specifically want the beats system
My car came with it, but if it hadn't and I wanted to upgrade the stereo, I'd be looking at aftermarket stuff.
The beats stuff might be better than standard, but it'll still be the cheapest deal VW and Apple (who own beats) could come to.
So the speakers are probably still lacking in comparison with good aftermarket stuff.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the bass is a bit too much ( I have the beats model ). Has to be at least a few notches down otherwise I think the car will rattle itself to pieces. H
Even a review of the beats model said the bass is just ridiculous.
I have mine under halfway, I think between 4 and 5.
Even then I'd probably crack it down further if I wanted to listen loud.
DNGmaestro
New

Post by DNGmaestro »

Any suggestions on on great aftermarket sound systems for the Polo GTI?
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

Has anybody changed their sound system so far?
There is not much info in the net about the sound system in the Polo be it Beats or non-Beats set-up.
I have found a few sets of Beats systems for the Polo on E-bay and just by looking at it I am glad I haven't ticked that option box...
Does anybody know what size are the speakers? Where are they located?
Has anybody taken them out? Or replaced them?
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

The sub sits in the spare wheel well so you'd need to remove that, I'm not sure if a modification or housing would need to be fitted to acoomodate it though, to be honest though the standard stereo is quite good after some tweaking of the balance.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

What exactly comprises the beats system? Is it just a plug and play bass box with badges for standard speaker grilles, or are the 6 speakers in the car upgraded? Is there a separate amp or uprated head unit?

If it's the former then the aftermarket version will be as good as the standard factory build.
deeklad13
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by deeklad13 »

This thread is making me nervous. I’m coming from an S3 with a Bang & Olufsen system to standard VW speakers. When I ordered Beats was not available as an option, about a week after my build week was confirmed it became available. Raging.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:47 pm What exactly comprises the beats system? Is it just a plug and play bass box with badges for standard speaker grilles, or are the 6 speakers in the car upgraded? Is there a separate amp or uprated head unit?

If it's the former then the aftermarket version will be as good as the standard factory build.
I'm still waiting for my Polo, but as soon as it arrives I'll take the sound system apart.
I didn't order Beats, 'cos I reckon one can get much better aftermarket sound system for half the price.
From what I see, apart from the badges, this has nothing to do Beats. The woofers in the doors are from PSS and the little amp is from Panasonic. The sub and tweeters don't know, but would be surprised if it's anything other than PSS.

Here is a link to a the Beats set for the Polo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Pol ... 437?_ul=KZ

Checking the part numbers, it seems as if the woofers are also fitted to other VW models not necessarily equipped with any Beats package.
I'm more curious though about the sizes of the woofers.
If nobody can tell me, then I'll just have to wait until the car gets here... reckon another 2 weeks...
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

It would be much cheaper and better to upgrade with aftermarket parts as others have said on here, the "Beats" system won't be amazing quality and it doesn't surprise me that people on here who have it say it's just really bassy as that is all Beats stuff is anyway (headphones etc).

A few (ok many!) years ago I upgraded the soundsystem in my brand new 04 Corsa SRi keeping the factory head unit. In the front I replaced the door speakers and tweeters with JBL components, all behind the factory grills (though I did put small JBL badges on the tweeter grills!), ran these directly from the HU and put Dynomat inside the door to help reduce reflections (also made the doors close with a very nice Mercedes like clunk!).

The rears I replaced with JBL full range speakers (I seem to remember with it being a 3 door these were or I was able to fit bigger speakers than in the front), again applied plenty of Dynomat to the metal behind the panel, used an Alpine line to RCA adapter which gave me left\right and a sub RCA output (I think I still have it somewhere) which fed an old Rockford Fosgate amp I had from my boyracer days which drove the rear JBL's, these
alone with the JBL's up front gave a hugely improved sound, nice and tight bass response, great mid-range and nice top end from the JBL tweeters.

I also ran a smallish Alpine (I think) underseat SUB (stuck it under the drivers seat) which filled everything out nicely, I wasn't going for hi-fi quality sound (which in a car is nigh on impossible and the factory HU wasn't great tbh) nor prolapse inducing bass but it gave me sound quality way above what most "premium" car sound systems give, was more than loud enough and only cost me a couple of hundred quid and a weekends work to install, was also very easy to put back to standard when I chopped the car in.

Edit - Just thought, as your car is a GTi this sort of thing will be much easier due to the battery being in the boot and thus not having to run really thick power cable for an amp and\or sub through the bulkhead to the battery.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:38 am It would be much cheaper and better to upgrade with aftermarket parts as others have said on here, the "Beats" system won't be amazing quality and it doesn't surprise me that people on here who have it say it's just really bassy as that is all Beats stuff is anyway (headphones etc).
Can be really bassy.
Adjustment makes all the difference.
Think my bass is set at 4, which is the first time I've ever reduced bass from standard setting in any car.