polo GTI manual

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Alan_p71
New
Drives: 2019 Gti+

polo GTI manual

Post by Alan_p71 »

Hello everyone, first post here, currently drive golf 7.5 Gt 1.5 evo. I made enquires to VW when polo GTI was announced, wanted manual and was told it would come 1st quarter 2018, nothing has ever appeared and currently the GTI is unable to be configured in any form. Does anyone have any idea (through your contacts) when the manual will become available.
I have read with interest all the posts regarding the very late delivery of your motors and I must say some of you have a lot of patience, hopefully things will improve at the start of a new year.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: polo GTI manual

Post by monkeyhanger »

Alan_p71 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 pm Hello everyone, first post here, currently drive golf 7.5 Gt 1.5 evo. I made enquires to VW when polo GTI was announced, wanted manual and was told it would come 1st quarter 2018, nothing has ever appeared and currently the GTI is unable to be configured in any form. Does anyone have any idea (through your contacts) when the manual will become available.
I have read with interest all the posts regarding the very late delivery of your motors and I must say some of you have a lot of patience, hopefully things will improve at the start of a new year.
VW said they anticipated September, they didn't say which September. :roll: You can get manual in some markets - Czech republic for one so it is coming.

You'll be pleasantly surprised with a Polo GTI - I have a GTI+ and our other car is a MK7 Golf R. I prefer driving the Polo, and once rolling, the difference in performance isn't as big as you'd think. The Golf GTI CSS is basically a 2WD Golf R and it's only about 0.8s faster to 62mph.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

We had manual in configurator for while (4months ago) so i ordered one .... no build date yet
E10
New
Drives: Audi A3 Limousine 1.4 S-line

Post by E10 »

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.
Manual is up now in the German configurator!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Some information re: manual from Joe Knight here:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71371&p=543639#p543639
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

E10 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:48 am Hello, this is my first post on this forum.
Manual must be imminent for the UK - do I change my order for GTI+ number 2 when available? Should be £1300 cheaper based on assumption for same level of discount (DSG is usually a £1450 option across the VW range where both transmissions are offered).

Will take a look on Volkswagen.de for further details.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just looked at the configurator on Volkswagen.de and it looks like the 6 speed DSG is here to stay, not to be replaced by the 7 speed unit.

Also, fuel economy on the manual box is slightly worse than DSG 6.1l/100km manual equates to 45.0mpg combined vs 6.3l/100km=46.6mpg. This is in line with other VAG range cars with both transmissions. In reality though, with an intelligent drivinv style that interprets the road ahead to preserve your momentum (coming off the gas early when you see a situation that will cause the car in front to slow, not hurtling towards junctions and roundabouts etc.), I see about 10% better fuel economy when driving the manual vs DSG of same variant (e.g. when I had a manual Golf GTD, if I borrowed my Dad's DSG GTD while he was working away, just to give it a run once a fortnight, the DSG was 10% thirstier driven same way on my commute).

Unless the slightly higher g CO2/km rating of the manual pushes it into a higher band of showroom tax, I will be looking to get a manual.

I assume the "OPF" in the engine descriptor for the 2.0TSI GTI refers to the inclusion of a gasoline particulate filter.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Ha ha

Just been looking myself. It suggests that new combined mpg will be 46.3mpg (6.1ltr per 100km). 138 co2 g/km

Also manual model down as 44.8mpg (6.3ltr per 100km) with 142 co2 g/km

I don’t think you were ever going to get 7 speed DSG this early in the life on Polo model run. I think this will be on the list for Polo facelift (2022or 2023)

Manual Polo certainly looks good. I await your updates on whether you go for it or not.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

I'm quite surprised to see that the manual Polo GTI has worse MPG and CO2 emissions on the German configurator. How is that? Every car I've seen is always the other way round. Even the 115ps 6sp manual vs the DSG is the other way around.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:31 pm I'm quite surprised to see that the manual Polo GTI has worse MPG and CO2 emissions on the German configurator. How is that? Every car I've seen is always the other way round. Even the 115ps 6sp manual vs the DSG is the other way around.
For the Golf at least, official figures show DSG being more efficient (on the NEDC test cycle). In real life driving, the manual is about 10% more efficient. The DSG requires more braking as it has ineffective engine braking and you're braking against the DSG's want to keep going instead of with the car.

I'm averaging 35mpg in my GTI+ DSG. I expect to bring that up to 40mpg with a manual box. Since the advent of stop-start tech I have always been able to easily achieve 80% of official combined figure on my commute with DSG its 70%.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

I spotted a Manual GTi in the UK config last month (it disappeared within a few hours..)

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72115&p=543760#p543760
Martin-GTi
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Martin-GTi »

I have a GTi+ on order. It was ordered at the beginning of May and obviously has the DSG gearbox.

I have managed to get a rare response from my dealer today and have been told I’ve been provisionally allocated build week 5 next year (start of February 2019). With the 8 weeks delivery from build, I’ve been told I might receive my car within one year of ordering it (yay!!!).

However, if the manual gearbox had been available, I would have ordered that. It’s a big assumption, but if the GTi returns to the configuration, the engine finally receives its WLTP approval and VW resume taking orders, would I be a able to switch the gearbox to manual and not have an impact on delivery dates and my place in the queue? I’m not sure how changing options has an affect delivery.
albob
Bronze Member

Post by albob »

E10 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:48 am Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

E10 -- Welkom to the forum :)
albob
Bronze Member

Post by albob »

"...would I be a able to switch the gearbox to manual and not have an impact on delivery dates and my place in the queue?..."

somehow I doubt it -- but only VW can give you a straight answer
Martin-GTi
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Martin-GTi »

albob wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:36 pm "...would I be a able to switch the gearbox to manual and not have an impact on delivery dates and my place in the queue?..."

somehow I doubt it -- but only VW can give you a straight answer
Thanks albob. I think you’re correct. My limited experience of VW (or at least my sales agent) so far tells me they see customers as an irritable inconvenience, so I won’t risk changing the order.