LED Tail Light Bulbs

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jacked
New
Drives: 2018 R Line

LED Tail Light Bulbs

Post by jacked »

Morning Guys,

Finally collected my R-Line this week, my first VW and really like it. LED headlamps and tail lights look really good.

Has anyone looked at changing the tail light indicator bulbs for LED ? The manual makes the job of removing the light cluster look pretty easy but I`ve not had a proper look yet. I have some Cree LED indicator bulbs that I had for my Fiesta but never got round to fitting.

It would be great to use these bulbs if I can. They`re a high-end Canbus LED but I don`t know if they will hyperflash anyway or work normally.

Cheers Everyone.

Dave :D
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: LED Tail Light Bulbs

Post by Adam_013 »

I have the standard rear lights and removing them is fairly straightforward. Just be careful with the plastic trim around it. The clips hold it in well so needs a tug, but the clips aren't all that strong
- Clip breaker [emoji23]

I tried with a mid-range 'canbus' reverse LED bulb and it threw up a message and same for indicators. Whether yours will or not you'll have to see!
jacked wrote:Morning Guys,

Finally collected my R-Line this week, my first VW and really like it. LED headlamps and tail lights look really good.

Has anyone looked at changing the tail light indicator bulbs for LED ? The manual makes the job of removing the light cluster look pretty easy but I`ve not had a proper look yet. I have some Cree LED indicator bulbs that I had for my Fiesta but never got round to fitting.

It would be great to use these bulbs if I can. They`re a high-end Canbus LED but I don`t know if they will hyperflash anyway or work normally.

Cheers Everyone.

Dave :D
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jacked
New
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by jacked »

Adam_013 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 pm I have the standard rear lights and removing them is fairly straightforward. Just be careful with the plastic trim around it. The clips hold it in well so needs a tug, but the clips aren't all that strong
- Clip breaker [emoji23]

I tried with a mid-range 'canbus' reverse LED bulb and it threw up a message and same for indicators. Whether yours will or not you'll have to see!

Ok Thanks.

I suppose there is a risk of breaking something doing it when the chances are the LED bulbs won`t work anyway. It would be good to find a LED indicator bulb that just works, surely someone must do one :?:
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

I'd assume somewhere does, I found some before which guaranteed they did but where about 35 quid for the pair! Seems a lot if they don't work!

I was originally wanting a bright reverse light since the tinted windows make it really dark! However I've since decided I'm going to upgrade to the led rear lights at some point so I have two reverse lights.

Don't let me put you off trying them... Just don't do as I did and pull the black plastic trim part, since that is attached but not part of the lamp.
jacked wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 pm I have the standard rear lights and removing them is fairly straightforward. Just be careful with the plastic trim around it. The clips hold it in well so needs a tug, but the clips aren't all that strong
- Clip breaker [emoji23]

Ok Thanks.

I suppose there is a risk of breaking something doing it when the chances are the LED bulbs won`t work anyway. It would be good to find a LED indicator bulb that just works, surely someone must do one :?:

Scotty_boy vw
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C 1ltr TSI/2018 1ltr TSI AW

Post by Scotty_boy vw »

Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

I'm looking into getting these, but from a different site... I just want to check the wiring is there for the reverse light in both sides, since the stock lamps only have one. I'd assume it is, but worth a check, same with the rear fog lamp.
Scotty_boy vw wrote:Has anyone had these fitted?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GE ... rk:32:pf:0

Scott

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:47 pm I'm looking into getting these, but from a different site... I just want to check the wiring is there for the reverse light in both sides, since the stock lamps only have one. I'd assume it is, but worth a check, same with the rear fog lamp.
Scotty_boy vw wrote:Has anyone had these fitted?

Scott
Check out the 8th post down by forum member MilgeS on page 3 of the thread at this link;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70450&p=540584

Their car (UK spec Polo R Line) came with two reversing lights.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Yeah, am aware along with 2 rear fogs... Hence I want to double check the wires are there both sides. I'd imagine so, for this reason and for LHD too, sounds stupid having several looms all for the same job.

Also means you might be able to see when going backwards!

Shame they didn't incorporate LED indicators and reverse lights though. Or even LED lamps as standard, considering the Ibiza does.

*Correction 1 rear fog... I think [emoji23]
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

Adam_013 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:12 pm Yeah, am aware along with 2 rear fogs... Hence I want to double check the wires are there both sides. I'd imagine so, for this reason and for LHD too, sounds stupid having several looms all for the same job.

Also means you might be able to see when going backwards!

Shame they didn't incorporate LED indicators and reverse lights though. Or even LED lamps as standard, considering the Ibiza does.

*Correction 1 rear fog... I think [emoji23]
The rear lights really are disappointing compared to the LED fronts. The back look standard (and starting to be slightly a dated look in the premium side) compared to the fronts that are awesome, LED DRL's witht eindicators (would have been cooler if the indicator streamed across like the new Golf R does i think? Audi's do it)
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:20 pm Has anyone had these fitted?

Scott
No but would be interested if it works, also I wonder if they do the LED hedlights
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:10 am
Scotty_boy vw wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:20 pm Has anyone had these fitted?

Scott
No but would be interested if it works, also I wonder if they do the LED hedlights
If the eBay seller (or any other seller for that matter) does sell the Polo’s LED headlamps, I doubt swapping the halogen headlamp units to the LED units fitted as standard to the GTI+, and optional on other models, is a straight swap.

In the LED headlamp units, the DRL lighting strip is an integral part of the headlamp unit, and it also doubles up as the indicator (changes colour from white light to orange when indicating). The LED units are also self levelling, so cars fitted with them don’t have the manual beam height adjustment beside the headlamp switch to compensate for different loads/weight carried in the car; cars with the LED units have sensors that adjust the beam height automatically to compensate for load/weight - on start-up, the LED headlamps also perform a check function (the beam ‘dances’ up and down) to show the auto beam height adjustment is working correctly). There may be other differences in functionality too.

So, I suspect it wouldn’t be a straight swap to change the halogen headlamp units to the LED units; if it is possible to change them, other parts, wiring and coding are likely to be needed as well. I can remember some owners of mk6 Golf GTI’s over on golfgtiforum.co.uk changing their standard headlamp units from halogen to the optional xenon headlamps, and it was less than straightforward, and very expensive too.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Cheers for that, yes of course I would think there would be an issue changing the headlights over to LED. No such issues with the tail lights though. I may make this change IF an when I finally see an LED version of the tail light in real life. (just have not seen one yet). I just want to see if the LED ones are actually more visible to the vehicle behind, just may stop then rear ending ? im really not interested in the whole "I have LEDs thing" I am looking for tangible benefits. so if LED gives clearly better visibility then I may change, if it don't I wont.
Last edited by mike sel on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

I'd say they're more visible, and give more light when reversing too. Believe I'm also correct in saying that the lines on the side of the lamp also illuminate.

If only LED headlights would be simpler, the halogen ones just don't seem very good,. even in comparison to the old 9n3..
mike sel wrote:Cheers for that, yes of course I would thing there would be an issue changing the headlights over to LED. No such issues with the tail lights though. I may make this change IF an when I finally see an LED version of the tail light in real life. (just have not seen one yet). I just want to see if the LED ones are actually more visible to the vehicle behind, just may stop then rear ending ? im really not interested in the whole "I have LEDs thing" I am looking for tangible benefits. so if LED gives clearly better visibility then I may change, if it don't I wont.

fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

mike sel wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:12 am Cheers for that, yes of course I would think there would be an issue changing the headlights over to LED. No such issues with the tail lights though. I may make this change IF an when I finally see an LED version of the tail light in real life. (just have not seen one yet). I just want to see if the LED ones are actually more visible to the vehicle behind, just may stop then rear ending ? im really not interested in the whole "I have LEDs thing" I am looking for tangible benefits. so if LED gives clearly better visibility then I may change, if it don't I wont.
Seriously...? Every car has at least one brake light at either corner and a third brake light in the middle... If somebody thinks that changing a 21W bulb to LED will stop anybody from rear ending you, then I wonder who are you trying to fool? :) Please... people change to LED because they reckon it looks cool/good/better or whatever... I can understand that. But please, let's not talk about safety and visibility of standard rear brake lights.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

LED brake lights react quicker, that fraction of a second could help give people following more reaction time. I thought the Polo had LED tail and brake lights, but looking over the price list it seems like it's only the R-Line and GTI/GTI+ get them standard. If you spec the LED headlights though they fit the LED rears. Interestingly, the Ibiza gets LED rear lights as standard!