Changing Dashboard trims color

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
DNGmaestro
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Changing Dashboard trims color

Post by DNGmaestro »

Hey guys,

My brand new white Polo GTI (bought as a brand new stock unit) comes with the black dashboard, the one that usually comes in red. I really really prefer the red one and want to change it, problem is, VW asks for 1000€ to do it, wich i find quite ridiculous.

Do you any of you guys know where to buy those parts cheaper or any good alternative?

Thank you very much in advance
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Re: Changing Dashboard trims color

Post by albob »

1000 euro for change a dash is extortionate !!

I don't think the car hasn't been out long enough for other manufacturers to start making replacement parts.

Hopefully someone knows better then me......
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Is that price fitted or just the parts? Unless the installation is incredibly complex, involving the removal of the whole dash (They are described as inserts, so expect them to clip in and out), the price may have been set exceptionally high to dissuade you from wanting to do this. On the Golf, certain R exclusive trim pieces are 5x higher in price than the GTI/GTD equivalents to put people off trying to turn their GTD interior into an R interior.

I have Velvet Red inserts on my GTI+ and was initially sceptical whether I'd like them, but I loved it when it arrive. 1000 Euros is extortion. You could probably achieve the same look by wrapping the components for under 50 Euros if you were skilled enough to do it yourself or 100-150 Euros to get a pro to do it.
DNGmaestro
New

Post by DNGmaestro »

That's the price fitted.
The parts alone are around 800€, wich there are 4, 2 small ones on each door, the main big one on the dash board and the small one on the AC and the gear shift. Labor is around 200€.

The dealer did suggest the wrapping option on a pro (i had that on a Lotus Elan m100 exterior) but as a new car i really want the original materials. Also the texture of it is really nice, only the price is just absurd.

Maybe someone has the red interior and want to change it to black? It's called "Deep Iron".

I'm really trying to get those original red parts at a non ofensive price.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

From the 200 Euro price for labour, at dealership rates, it doesn't seem like a massive job (2 hours labour I'm guessing as UK labour rates at the dealership workshops are around £85 per hour. If as fairly priced as other parts, I'd expect £150 parts cost max - VW are clearly trying to dissuade you from doing it through cost.

Go wrap and save yourself a fortune - it can be reverted to stock at resale time and you could even pick a bolder red (wish it more closely matched flash Red paint - it's like a pinky-red anodized coat. If wrapper wants to take trims off to wrap rather than cut in, you do have the risk of snapped clips.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Saw a "Wheeler Dealer" where Ed China took some interior panels and had them coated, with a wood finish. The coating floated on top of a water bath they placed the items into the water and the coating stuck to the trims, and once dried, looked great
If you did break a couple of clips, it's not the end of the earth to purchase a couple more new ones. So instead of just red inserts you could be completely different and have wood inserts, no other Polo will have them, not even a Polo GTI+ :D
DNGmaestro
New

Post by DNGmaestro »

Those all sound good :D

Problem is i really really love the stock red dash trims.

Does anybody know where to get those original parts for an acceptable price? I can't seem to find it online.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

As someone else has said, take the trim panels to a coating company.
They'll either vinyl wrap or 'dip' wrap the pieces for a fraction of the price.
My friend works for a BMW dealer and says no-one specs carbon fibre dash parts any more, they openly say they'll get them dipped themselves.
The wrapping company can also remove the wrapping come re-sale time.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

DNGmaestro wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm Those all sound good :D

Problem is i really really love the stock red dash trims.

Does anybody know where to get those original parts for an acceptable price? I can't seem to find it online.
Sometimes there are accident damaged nearly new cars that are insurance write-offs on car breakers websites. If you can find a written off Beats model which also has the velvet red inserts, the car breaker may sell you the inserts.

Don’t forget, you’ll also need to replace the inserts around the front door handles and the trim around the centre console.